IGNORED

We need more than just a lousy forum site.

Otherguy

Events Helper · Posted

I mean we already support through monthly donations.  I don't know what else can really be done besides suggestions and going from there.  honestly imo this site is exactly what it needs to be.  collectors coming together enjoying conversation and talking video games.  sure bells and whistles are nice but don't forget, for launching in October this site is still in its infancy.  things are in the works, but it just takes time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I'm kind of on the same page. Let another site specialize in that stuff.  Full databases just seems like a ton of work to maintain.

Exactly. It’s easy for people to kick back and ask for handouts but very few people are willing to put foot to ass for a non paying gig

edit: plus you can really just buy the Contri books or similar for NES and SNES they are basically encyclopedias 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2

Anyone relying on a website for a database in 2020 is playing a dangerous game. I've seen so many go by the wayside. I'm honestly shocked RFGen is still around. Luckily there are people very dedicated to keeping it going and that's great for me since I love using their database.

But I have began my own personal database since it's the only thing I can REALLY trust not to have the rug pulled out from under.

In building a community, it makes sense to add features that helps the community connect for the reasons why they are there.  A DB does make since for linking, making lists and research.  Furthermore, having user profiles where they can make lists from that database could help for buying/selling/trading, which is also why many of us are hear, so I definitely support the idea of having a pseudo-wiki of games.

But, I also don't think it's worth complaining about.  Others have asked for more features and I think the admins are cool with that, but this site can't be everything to every gamer.  I think they have to define a core purpose for this place and every key feature needs to augment that.  Also, in regards to things like maintaining lists of games and, especially, updating CIB contents as games are freshly opened, each list needs a good set of core managers that can vet the details people would like to have added to the lists.

That takes time and man-power.  If we want features like that, people will need to step up to help.  But, before this place can get to that point, the volunteers who already spend a lot of time hear will have to look for plug-ins and tools that can facilitate that functionality.  That's not always easy and if the effort a new feature is then not used much by us users, what's the point?

TL;DR: I agree, I'd like to see some new features around here but we need to be patient and trust the admins.  They've already publicly stated that no "one" owns this place and unlike NA, that want the whole operation to be community driven and handled so that anyone "in charge" can step away and pass it on to someone else.  With that type of management structure, good changes can happen but they probably aren't going to be quick and in the long run that's a good thing.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

One of the things that made na great was the plethora of information available. I see a lot of people on here building up that kind of stuff, the game store database, variant threads, box contents, etc. 

Especially since we're trying to be more than Nintendo it would be killer to see info about other systems and collections. There's  people out there with the means and ability too do so.

Also maybe not link to the discord because some of the shit I've seen posted there not only would make me shy away from joining the community but some is just down right offensive. Make a dedicated discord chat for this community and keep the childish Nonsense in a separate one. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

VGS is not "done."  What is needed most, is patience and understanding.  I can assure you that Gloves and the rest of the team are working behind the scenes on potential upgrades, improvements, testing out features, etc.  But this takes time, and work.  We are willing to put in both of those, and are doing just that.

We have implemented the retro store database to test out the database feature and have been working out the kinks there.  We plan to add more types of databases.

We are working on a marketplace / trading type system, but that has required a lot of testing and fixing behind the scenes, and we want that system to work efficiently and effectively when it is released here.

The graphics team is hard at work, creating artwork, icons, badges/charms, etc., and we are organizing those systems and how they will all work.

There is much more we are planning on working on.  As I said, VGS is not just "done."  It is a constant WIP, and we will continue to work on improvements as we can.  So please continue to be patient with us.  All of the staff working on these items, is volunteering their limited free time to do so.  It is worth it, because we want to make this place the best it can be.

In the meantime, if people have constructive ideas for improvements, please always feel free to share those and we can discuss or attempt to incorporate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

In response to the OP, what do you want? Everyone here is a volunteer for the most part, nobody is really making money off this site. I feel like it is just something that the people running the show like gloves do in their free time. Everyone has their own life outside of here. To me, this site is about BSing and learning more about the hobby I've grown to love. What we got is a forum. So I guess if you aren't happy, step up to the plate. The folks here love doers, not complainers. Personally, I have been very happy with it so far, and the fact that things are still being added is just icing on the cake. 

I guess I don't understand what other forums and communities like reddit have to offer comparatively speaking other than what the communities make of it. That said, like what spacepup said, let's all just remain constructive and maybe even help out...

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

Going back to what some others were saying, you have to be a do-er on a community site.  Some others and I really wanted more homebrew involvement in this site.  That is why Neodolphino is on the Homebrew Team, why Scrobins is managing the Homebrews on the Horzion theard, and why Scrobins and I are running the Hombrew Leaderboard Competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Going back to what some others were saying, you have to be a do-er on a community site.  Some others and I really wanted more homebrew involvement in this site.  That is why Neodolphino is on the Homebrew Team, why Scrobins is managing the Homebrews on the Horzion theard, and why Scrobins and I are running the Hombrew Leaderboard Competition.

Homebrewer involvement is one of the three pillars we really want to build the site on. 

Collecting, playing, and making games. I know it might sound kind of like stretching ourselves thin a bit, but these are really things we all here can respect and I think that's key, you don't have to be a dev to appreciate the work they do and be interested in seeing that all come together. You don't have to HAVE a huge collection to appreciate the pics people post of theirs, or to chat about how the market is moving, etc..

So yeah, as people have said - don't ask, do. Ask non what the community can do for you, but what you can do for it. We make it great together. 

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, Gloves said:

So yeah, as people have said - don't ask, do. Ask non what the community can do for you, but what you can do for it. We make it great together. 

Couldn't agree more with this, what the staff will need to upgrade the site, aside from time to invest, is the help of the members. As project really start off it will be easier to ask for specific help, but meanwhile we're all open arms for members to propose projects and be involved.

I'll take this opportunity to thank @Red, @Deadeye, @Scrobins, @Splain, @scaryice and @G-type for helping us running events and playing threads in the Site-Run event section. It is because of their initiative and commitment that some features are alive in the playing section of the forum. So if any of you guys on VGS have project to propose that you'd be ready to run, please let us know and we'll work things together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1