IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I've seen many in the states paying $50 for shipping so $34 is getting off easy it seems, and Canada looks largely to be $80.  I really wish I knew who they have packing their goods unless it's some hidden handling fee as it's ridiculous.

There was a guy on NA that tried to rationalize the outrageous fees by saying, "Analogue packs it really, really good, though!"

I'm starting to think he was an employee trying to do damage control. And failing.

• Agree 1

• The title was changed to Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder
9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

There was a guy on NA that tried to rationalize the outrageous fees by saying, "Analogue packs it really, really good, though!"

I'm starting to think he was an employee trying to do damage control. And failing.

That or just loved to bend over a lot, some enjoy it analog, some digital, 😉

I wish I knew.  They raised the shipping rates quite a bit over the last year or two, not sure when exactly.  I think from what I saw was like 1/3 more could be worse based on distance.  I mean I don't expect an answer out of them, but I'm curious if they're just slipping in a handling charge or they got a worse contract with some shipper than they had before during the SuperNT/MegaSG period of those going out.  The smaller stuff seemed to take a heavier hit, like a Game Gear adapter for the pocket went up to $30 shipping which is why I backed off and bought it elsewhere as a matter of principle.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:12 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Snagged one earlier today and it looks like they're still available. I can't wait to play TG-16 in 1080p. That being said, I'll be truly shocked if it ships this year though.

I was originally signing up to get one (an HD-compatible TurboDuo? Who doesn't want that?) but I just spent a ton of money on a different project and I had to hold my feet to the fire on this one. Perhaps someday...

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 10:58 AM, Webhead123 said:

I was originally signing up to get one (an HD-compatible TurboDuo? Who doesn't want that?) but I just spent a ton of money on a different project and I had to hold my feet to the fire on this one. Perhaps someday...

The saving grace for this project is that the price is extremely reasonable. TG-16 and PCE aren't cheap and it's not exactly easy to get a Turbo CD or Super CD, much less find one in perfect working order. Hopefully the unit will be as good as advertised and they're still available down the line if you decide to get one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

The saving grace for this project is that the price is extremely reasonable. TG-16 and PCE aren't cheap and it's not exactly easy to get a Turbo CD or Super CD, much less find one in perfect working order. Hopefully the unit will be as good as advertised and they're still available down the line if you decide to get one.

I was thinking I can probably sell my TG16 for what I paid for this when I placed my order. $249ish seems to be the going rate

20 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

This is the first analogue system with CD support. 

Cant wait for the sega CD, saturn and dreamcast cores (hopefully)

The Duo does not support OpenFPGA, so I'm not sure if cores can be added. I'm not super into the technical side, so hopefully I'm wrong, but I saw some others expressing concern about this.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

The Duo does not support OpenFPGA, so I'm not sure if cores can be added. I'm not super into the technical side, so hopefully I'm wrong, but I saw some others expressing concern about this.

I would agree this is correct. Same experience as all the other consoles except for Pocket. I’d be very surprised if Analogue ever released new hardware again besides updated versions of the pocket. I’m actually really surprised they went through the release of this product given they push hard on pocket having a tg16 adapter. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I would agree this is correct. Same experience as all the other consoles except for Pocket. I’d be very surprised if Analogue ever released new hardware again besides updated versions of the pocket. I’m actually really surprised they went through the release of this product given they push hard on pocket having a tg16 adapter. 

A lot of the PCE library is on CDs so it made sense to continue with the project. But going forward I can see them mainly focusing on the pocket.

I don’t know if it’s possibly with the tech but I’d love them to do a Saturn or PS1 console one day. But I’m guessing they’re a while away from that.

20 hours ago, Brickman said:

A lot of the PCE library is on CDs so it made sense to continue with the project. But going forward I can see them mainly focusing on the pocket.

I don’t know if it’s possibly with the tech but I’d love them to do a Saturn or PS1 console one day. But I’m guessing they’re a while away from that.

Hopefully the Polymega eventually pans out. They keep giving updates every few months so it seems to exist...

54 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Hopefully the Polymega eventually pans out. They keep giving updates every few months so it seems to exist...

I was gonna try getting a polymega setup just to compare against Analogue but it was like ok I give you money when can I expect this? Polymega: 😅

At least analogue tries to give some form of eta whereas polymega is straight up sketchy about it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Yeah I’m taking a watch and see approach with that one. I’m sceptical of software emulation over FGPA, but if the reviews are good I’d grab one.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:19 PM, Brickman said:

I believe there was a big breakthrough development in understanding Saturn hardware/emulation a few years ago. Don’t know that people have actually pursued that path, but I think the door is now open for developers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

To be fair it says “highly limited quantity” so my guess is maybe 100 of them? It’s like they try to create a reseller market for their products. Just fucking drop them same day or even as soon as the email goes out. 

It's still worth a try I guess. If I don't get one I'll just stick with my Super NT/Super Game Boy combo.

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's still worth a try I guess. If I don't get one I'll just stick with my Super NT/Super Game Boy combo.

I got a used one on eBay for $300 with the box and cable - if you factor in what analogue charges for shipping and tax (it’s like $30 for shipping to the states), it’s like $50 extra to get one and not have to wait for whenever Analogue feels like shipping a pocket out