IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

That's the rub there for sure.  HDMI kits and choices are more easy and accessible for 3D systems like that, maybe not the cheapest to install if you can't do it, but if you already have the system the kit+install is less than this thing.  So it comes down to the fluffy features in the end that the kit won't do, which they tend to only stick to various tweaks/fluff stuff to the visuals.  Personally I don't like the idea of accelerating the speed of N64 games, sure they may have enough running in that 20fps range...and?  That was taken into account when it was finished and published, sure they probably would have wanted a solid 30 or in some cases like F-Zero X a solid 60, but they accounted for how the behaves when they made it in enough cases where I would not feel good going all high speed on it as it would break the game in how it was sold if that makes sense.  I mean to a point, if it was chugging and a mess that's one thing, but if the game was comfortably sold at a 15-20fps range or so, so be it, leave it be. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I find it amusingly timed a FPGA GBC kit drops for 3x less money (though limited to GB and GBC) and this appears with more colorways too.  Not that both don't have their place but... shenangans.

The review I watched is those had the timing off by a considerable margin. I think those being 1/3 the price reflects the R&D cost put in

1 minute ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The review I watched is those had the timing off by a considerable margin. I think those being 1/3 the price reflects the R&D cost put in

Maybe, it's why I have it bookmarked not bought.  I want to see the firmware update and others comments once they get them.  It could be too good to be true, or just needs more time in the oven.

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

These colours look pretty ugly to me. The previous ones looked really nice but I’m feeling these are more of a cash grab vs the previous LE.

I'll just be happy to finally snag one, if I can. Seems like these sell out super quickly and I'm certain most people purchasing these are looking to scalp them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

I'll just be happy to finally snag one, if I can. Seems like these sell out super quickly and I'm certain most people purchasing these are looking to scalp them.

Yeah it sucks that people who are actually just trying to get a Pocket are missing out because people are scalping them. They probably aren't making much on them once you factor in ebay fees and the high Analogue shipping price. 

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Brickman said:

Yeah it sucks that people who are actually just trying to get a Pocket are missing out because people are scalping them. They probably aren't making much on them once you factor in ebay fees and the high Analogue shipping price. 

Most likely but as sick as it is, some people get just so into scalping they get a high off just the fact they won the prize, and then won the reward, even if it's only maybe $50 on the back end after all the layers of bs they've paid out to get to that point.  Kind of like the clown who gets mad you tried to pass them on a road after going slow, so they jam down to keep you out just because...winning!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/15/2023 at 6:10 PM, Brickman said:

When I logged-in... the only thing they had left was the pink version 🙂

I mean, I just want to play games and chill, so I'm not that picky on the color and I'm glad I snagged one finally.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2023 at 6:10 PM, Brickman said:

They probably aren't making much on them once you factor in ebay fees and the high Analogue shipping price. 

I never understood that side of reselling. I guess $50 is $50 bucks but it doesn't seem like it would ever be enough for me to go out of my way to by two and sell them to make $80 after fees and shipping.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Lol 50 bucks is 50 bucks 🤑

True, but is it worth all that effort? Obviously it depends on individual circumstances 🙂

If you have to put an hour effort to make $50 I'd say that's decent return. If you have to put 3+ hours is it still worth it? That's less than $17 per hour.

• Agree 1

True, but is it worth all that effort? Obviously it depends on individual circumstances 🙂

If you have to put an hour effort to make $50 I'd say that's decent return. If you have to put 3+ hours is it still worth it? That's less than $17 per hour.

The thought of having to potentially deal with a difficult person on eBay, driving to the post office and possibly the item getting lost in the mail and having to deal with that, all while knowing I could be depriving someone from getting the console who wants it is not worth $50 to me. I’d rather see someone happy getting the console than the $50. I’m not that desperate for cash 😆

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw people complaining about Analogue no longer producing NES, SNES, Genesis systems. That said, there are some pretty good alternatives to those Analogue systems which are also very well priced. However, I don't ever recall seeing any systems similar to Pocket nor their Duo -- are there any such systems? I know there are tons of systems that have the games on ROM, but are there are any real alternatives to Pocket or Duo that actually play the cartridges?

commercial real estate cre GIF by thebrokerlist

I know there are tons of systems that have the games on ROM, but are there are any real alternatives to Pocket or Duo that actually play the cartridges?

There's a few like the GB Boy for Game Boy games, but nothing I know of that mimics the Pocket's number of systems without emulation. I haven't personally used the GB  Boy, so I can't comment on how well it does, though it will use original GB cartridges.

Duo, the TG-16/PC-Engine I'm afraid is just too niche. Even Hyperkin doesn't have a clone, and they've cloned practically everything else. edit: There's the Retro Freak, which does PC-Engine/TG-16, and some of the other usual suspects; it's like a Chinese version of the Retron5, but like that one, it's emulation, not FPGA. And it won't do CD games. I don't think there's even a way to hook up a PC-Engine disc drive.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I saw people complaining about Analogue no longer producing NES, SNES, Genesis systems. That said, there are some pretty good alternatives to those Analogue systems which are also very well priced. However, I don't ever recall seeing any systems similar to Pocket nor their Duo -- are there any such systems? I know there are tons of systems that have the games on ROM, but are there are any real alternatives to Pocket or Duo that actually play the cartridges?

commercial real estate cre GIF by thebrokerlist

Yeah it's probably why they decided to get out of those systems because there is a lot of competition so maybe they didn't see a point anymore or the costs didn't add up.

The GBA (get the screen upgrade) can play all GB/GBC and GBA games and if you get a GBA player for the GC you can then play them on a modern TV or CRT. Where the Pocket has the advantage is that it has adapters for other systems like the GG and PC Engine/TG 16(apparently coming soon). You can also jail break the Pocket to play NES, SNES and MD. I also like the size of the Pocket for long play sessions.

I am not aware of any competitor to the Duo and I think it will be a one and done order considering you can still buy the Duo on their site.

• Like 1

I picked up a Pink Analogue Pocket on the previous round of restocks (with a great deal of help from our great pal @spacepup)! I've played through the GBC version of Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Advance, and I am currently working my way through the original Japanese version of Pokemon Green. In all cases, I can say I am immensely impressed with the sound and picture quality, the screen on these things is absolutely stunning, a real pleasure to play.

I also picked up the obligatory clear-case, which is really nice and feels very secure, and the Game Gear adaptor, which I haven't tried out yet as I don't own any Game Gear games, but it's only a matter of time! 😉

So yeah, top marks once again for Analogue. Here's hoping they get the N64 version right, credit card on standby for that one! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Love 1