IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Since this whole thing has started, I’ve had more negative confrontations than normal. I have a pretty bad temper and my approach, while working for me is not a good way to handle the situation. My blood boils and I let. I loudly tell people they are too close. 

I was pretty lucky with work.  Not only was I deemed essential, but they moved us to shift work/remote, so whenever I went in there would be 5-6 people in my entire half of the building, instead of 100+.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I was pretty lucky with work.  Not only was I deemed essential, but they moved us to shift work/remote, so whenever I went in there would be 5-6 people in my entire half of the building, instead of 100+.

Same here. I work remote and go in once a week to water plants and take care of misc. office stuff. In the past month I've seen only three of my coworkers, one being my assistant.

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Well I've a quick question, maybe some one here can offer some advice.

Many of the stores here have lines placed on the floor, to help people social distance themselves when lining up.

Despite the lines being in place, some people refuse to follow them and stand where they're supposed to stand, either hoping to cut in line or out of ignorance, I really have no idea. These are the same wankers that aren't wearing masks, either, and I had a guy let out a big sigh next to me one day, felt his breath on my arm!

I'd love to know a good way to handle these types, as it really makes my blood boil.

Well I mean, if people at the grocery store are cutting line with their cart due to the tape/marks on the ground (I've been around those so I get the distance) it wouldn't be hard.  The only way to handle it would be to say something, and they knew they were up to it, so shame will either work, or you resort to a bit of a cruel nudge... as it hitting them hard immediately with your cart to maintain distance.  Of course at that point you immediately say oops, sorry, I was next in line didn't see you there, the line starts back there.  Shame and pain.  See it was an accident after all since you were following the rules and you didn't see them cut in there. 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Lots of people not following the rules at the grocery store today. Very disappointing! All the lake's are marked off one way, but there was very little regard for that.

I haven't run into that issue myself just yet, but a friend a few states away said they ran into the same thing, then discovered that Walmart only had shelves marked at one end, so if you approached from the other, there wasn't any way you'd know if you weren't already familiar with the fact that this was going on.  Could be the same thing going on in your case.  My local Aldi had signs at both ends, but I didn't notice them until I was 3 aisles in (luckily having gone down each the correct way) due to how small they were (maybe 2" x 4" cutouts).  If I hadn't been looking for something at the end of the third aisle, I probably wouldn't have noticed.  If the signage isn't large and obvious,  could easily be a store/setup issue moreso than people being douchebags, although that is typically the norm.

20 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I haven't run into that issue myself just yet, but a friend a few states away said they ran into the same thing, then discovered that Walmart only had shelves marked at one end, so if you approached from the other, there wasn't any way you'd know if you weren't already familiar with the fact that this was going on.  Could be the same thing going on in your case.  My local Aldi had signs at both ends, but I didn't notice them until I was 3 aisles in (luckily having gone down each the correct way) due to how small they were (maybe 2" x 4" cutouts).  If I hadn't been looking for something at the end of the third aisle, I probably wouldn't have noticed.  If the signage isn't large and obvious,  could easily be a store/setup issue moreso than people being douchebags, although that is typically the norm.

People have a tendency to disregard signs in general. I put up a sign at work asking people to not lean over the service counter. I have had people move it to do so. Ugh. I always in the politest way possible tell them to fuck off. Only one customer has given me pushback over it.

19 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

People have a tendency to disregard signs in general. I put up a sign at work asking people to not lean over the service counter. I have had people move it to do so. Ugh. I always in the politest way possible tell them to fuck off. Only one customer has given me pushback over it.

The people in stores can be ninnies too - I was checking out at a  store  and was paying in cash. The clerk said I was too close when I handed her the money - so i walked back to the end of the conveyor belt and put the $3.00 down (for a  $2.87 purchase)  and she brought it down and then tried to give me the .13 back (which have required  (of course) being just as close as my handing the money to her would have been in the first place.)  I told her keep the gd change.

When they first started this a clerk jumped on my wife for being over the blue line (there was no signage saying there were even blue lines - some people spend their time looking at the floor whilst others (like ourselves) spend more time looking ahead at where they are going).  Shortly after this I joined my wife and the clerk jumped on me for being too close to her (my wife).  WTF!

Edited by Tabonga

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I've tried the whole "scoot on down as far as I could while giving them a dirty look and making a banshee scream" method a few times, while checking out, but you just can't help stupid.

I'd personally love to just spin around and throw one of these guys into a shelf of goods, but I don't fancy getting arrested or deported, so I'm looking for a more friendly approach.

If you make like you are coughing and hacking I suspect they might back off on their own accord - they (and everyone else nearby) will probably give you the stink eye but so what since you will likely never see them again.   Either that or you could just stop bathing.   ^___^

Edited by Tabonga

7 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

The people in stores can be ninnies too - I was checking out at a  store  and was paying in cash. The clerk said I was too close when I handed her the money - so i walked back to the end of the conveyor belt and put the $3.00 down (for a  $2.87 purchase)  and she brought it down and then tried to give me the .13 back (which have required  (of course) being just as close as my handing the money to her would have been in the first place.)  I told her keep the gd change.

When they first started this a clerk jumped on my wife for being over the blue line (there was no signage saying there were even blue lines - some people spend their time looking at the floor whilst others (like ourselves) spend more time looking ahead at where they are going).  Shortly after this I joined my wife and the clerk jumped on me for being too close to her (my wife).  WTF!

Imagine being that person that is in contact with a hundred people a day. Imagine that 75% of people don’t pay attention to their surroundings, especially these days. It can get pretty stressful when people don’t follow simple directions. Repeating myself all day everyday is a pain in the ass. I have for sure been that “ninnie” you speak of. But you have been that person that doesn’t pay attention to all of your surroundings that I speak of. We will find common ground at some point. Until then, please respect the people out there working at the places you need to go and I’ll try to be a little more understanding about your inability to follow directions. 

1 minute ago, Estil said:

You know, this may be nitpicking a little but I always thought it was kind of gross when a cashier would lick their fingers before handling the cash and then handing it to you 😞   I'm guessing that's now most definitely not a good idea?

As a person that has taken money/cards as part of my job, I have some stories. Wanna hear them? If so, @SuperJimtendo and @JamesRobot probably have some similar stories as me. We would be happy to share.

14 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Imagine being that person that is in contact with a hundred people a day. Imagine that 75% of people don’t pay attention to their surroundingtential s, especially these days. It can get pretty stressful when people don’t follow simple directions. Repeating myself all day everyday is a pain in the ass. I have for sure been that “ninnie” you speak of. But you have been that person that doesn’t pay attention to all of your surroundings that I speak of. We will find common ground at some point. Until then, please respect the people out there working at the places you need to go and I’ll try to be a little more understanding about your inability to follow directions. 

Well if what they did made sense I might agree with you - in the first case I was a apparently a potential threat by giving her the money but she was somehow not a potential  threat giving me the change - not the way potentially communicable diseases work. And she did get 13 cents of mine.  (And there no instructions on how I was supposed to tender payment and receive the change.  How would that work???)

Again, in the second case there were no instructions at eye level  - we both wear progressive lenses so normally we would have to tilt our head down to see the floor (from a distance we would likely notice them - but the areas immediately around the 4 checkout lanes (it is a small store) don't have clear lines of sight - being cluttered up with other people, barrels of bulk goods, endcaps and aisles of goods.  And I am not aware of any proscriptions against family members being close together - we do live in the same house after all.

(And I  am not quite sure how I was supposed to receive said directions - telepathy?-  Especially the one about being close to  my wife. Must have been a pretty unique house rule.)

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Well if what they did made sense I might agree with you - in the first case I was a apparently a potential threat by giving her the money but she was somehow not a potential  threat giving me the change - not the way potentially communicable diseases work. And she did get 13 cents of mine.  (And there no instructions on how I was supposed to tender payment and receive the change.  How would that work???)

Again, in the second case there were no instructions at eye level  - we both wear progressive lenses so normally we would have to tilt our head down to see the floor (from a distance we would likely notice them - but the areas immediately around the 4 checkout lanes (it is a small store) don't have clear lines of sight - being cluttered up with other people, barrels of bulk goods, endcaps and aisles of goods.  And I am not aware of any proscriptions against family members being close together - we do live in the same house after all.

We put plenty of signs at eye level where I work. I understand that many places haven’t taken the precautions we have. But at this point, 5-6 weeks into this. I would think people would maybe pay a little more attention to what’s happening around them. I mean, you know there is a 6ft distance recommendation, you know the cdc recommends wearing a cloth mask... you know what’s expected of you right now. So why not pay a little more attention?  You should be used to the way things are by now. Maybe be a bit more proactive about social distancing. 

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Richardhead said:
15 minutes ago, Estil said:

You know, this may be nitpicking a little but I always thought it was kind of gross when a cashier would lick their fingers before handling the cash and then handing it to you 😞   I'm guessing that's now most definitely not a good idea?

As a person that has taken money/cards as part of my job, I have some stories. Wanna hear them? If so, @SuperJimtendo and @JamesRobot probably have some similar stories as me. We would be happy to share.

I'm a licker.  😏

Been hell trying not to lick my fingers to count money.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Richardhead said:

We put plenty of signs at eye level where I work. I understand that many places haven’t taken the precautions we have. But at this point, 5-6 weeks into this. I would think people would maybe pay a little more attention to what’s happening around them. I mean, you know there is a 6ft distance recommendation, you know the cdc recommends wearing a cloth mask... you know what’s expected of you right now. So why not pay a little more attention?  You should be used to the way things are by now. Maybe be a bit more proactive about social distancing. 

Both of these happened early on - these actually happened on the same day (we went to the dollar store to look for some things that we couldn't find at the grocery store).   The grocery store still doesn't have any signs - but we now know what the protocol is - I refuse to keep a distance from my wife though - unless of course we are peeved at each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

(And I  am not quite sure how I was supposed to receive said directions - telepathy?-  Especially the one about being close to  my wife. Must have been a pretty unique house rule.)

With you being told off for standing next to your wife, it’s possible they assumed you two were acquaintances and not partners. Some work places and workers are more strict or some are more on edge with borderline anxiety/paranoia, but perhaps the situation that they’re in is understandable. There needs to be understanding from both ends in my opinion.

Edited by GPX

2 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Both of these happened early on - these actually happened on the same day (we went to the dollar store to look for some things that we couldn't find at the grocery store).   The grocery store still doesn't have any signs - but we now know what the protocol is - I refuse to keep a distance from my wife though - unless of course we are peeved at each other.

I had a lot of very negative interactions near the beginning as well, not on your side of the counter though. This has been super stressful for everyone, especially at the beginning of all this. As for the keeping distance from your wife, it’s not necessary. But maybe think about just one of you going into the store when shopping. Simple things like that will probably make the difference.

The last couple weeks working has been literal hell. From people getting pissed off when being cordially asked to follow the guidelines in place to having shit chucked across the store by dickwads in a tizzy. It's only going to get worse when they start opening things up. 

I've always been in a pretty shitty mood and state of mind and inconsiderate ass mongers selfishly going out because of Boredom are going to kill more people by mental breakdowns than the virus is before too much longer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1