IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Well, I spoke too soon about forcing people to be vaccinated. An emergency alert went out to our phones yesterday about new protocols put in place today. One of them is that businesses can now refuse admittance to anyone that cannot show vaccination or DOCUMENTED medical exemption. All social activities for unvaccinated people are cancelled and all businesses must close (work from home, restaurants serve outside, non-essential things like that).

So I have to bring my vaccination papers with me on Friday in order to play hockey or else I don't go on the ice. Wow.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Well, I spoke too soon about forcing people to be vaccinated. An emergency alert went out to our phones yesterday about new protocols put in place today. One of them is that businesses can now refuse admittance to anyone that cannot show vaccination or DOCUMENTED medical exemption. All social activities for unvaccinated people are cancelled and all businesses must close (work from home, restaurants serve outside, non-essential things like that).

So I have to bring my vaccination papers with me on Friday in order to play hockey or else I don't go on the ice. Wow.

Good.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, Tulpa said:

And I'm still seeing douchebags on forums spouting that the vaccine is the thing killing people and COVID is "just the flu."

Dude, even "just the flu" makes for at least a few terrible, awful, no good, very bad days. 😞  And you know what, people can in fact die from "just the flu"!  So that's no excuse at all.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Hmm I wonder if they'll have someone in jackboots at the door with a specific european style accent saying Papers please! if you know what I mean.  Sheesh.

16 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Whelp, looks like I should plan for another I definitely amount of time locked up, unemployed.

Masks? Check!

Social distancing, check!

Crowd control, check!

Eating, check!

They're either stupid, or like many just over all the double talk and blown out of proportion bs of politicians.  I imagine by now a lot of people are comfortable with the illness rate, and from that the mortality rate from the chance of illness, magnified so if you're properly vaccinated as then it's down on those people to levels of other vaccines around for years.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, Code Monkey said:

So you're worried about people wearing a mask, I just don't care because their masks are going to be ineffective anyway, even if they do wear them because they're so stupid they can't understand you shouldn't touch a life saving medical device. Me telling them to wear a mask isn't going to have any effect on them.

And don't get me started on the people that make their own masks or think pulling up their shirt is going to have any effect. The molecular structure of the virus is not going to be combatted by the woven cotton of your shirt, sorry buddy. You must have missed that day in chemistry.

Source 1: my dad worked with the Department Of Health for 30 years and then managed an old age home for 10 years

Source 2: my fiance is a doctor

Source 3: I have a Bachelor's Degree in science

So, please indulge me, how, exactly does touching a mask that is properly snugged over your nose and mouth prevent it from stopping moisture droplets from going through it?  Because that's what they're doing, including in the cases of when surgeries are performed--something your doctor fiancee should know and be able to pass on to you.  Surgeons generally aren't worried about breathing in germs and catching something from a patient they're working on--it's the exact opposite.  And since humans expel germs (viral particles, etc.) contained in moisture droplets due to how we work, masks are effective at preventing the person wearing said mask from spreading whatever they have outward (even if dry viral/bacterial/etc. particles might be small enough on their own to pass through the holes in the weave of said mask).

One serious question about the masks, though, since you were all methodical about how they were supposed to be applied (starting with applying them at home, then driving with them on, something that I've never, ever seen recommended during the whole pandemic).  If all you're allowed/supposed to touch are the straps around the ears, how do you conform the metal bar in the top to fit closely around your nose, preventing an air gap there?  Masks are supposed to fit closely around the surface of your face, all the way around, so if you're not bending that nose bar to fit around the bridge of your nose then down your cheekbones, you're basically setting it up to spray particles up and out of the mask every time you breathe, speak, cough, sneeze, etc., ruining their effectiveness.

People get required to wear masks (and the authorities actually do something to help enforce that), and the numbers go down, so obviously something there is working.  If it's not masks keeping everyone's "cooties" to themselves instead of literally spraying them everywhere, for everyone to share, then perhaps a scientific study should be started to figure out exactly what it is that isn't the masks that's causing the numbers to drop so drastically when all of the borderline mask wearers mask up because the local/state/federal government says they have to do so; I'd include "everyone," but we're all pretty much aware that the folks completely against masks haven't worn them, won't when asked (even under a mandate), and likely won't until someone hands them one at gunpoint (severe example, but only one I can think of for some people I know who refuse to wear one even for a couple of minutes).

On 9/15/2021 at 12:45 PM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Yeah about masks; we're expected to wear them to spread less droplets as we breathe and talk, not to shield ourselves personally. 

Just imagine having a science degree and a doctor as a fiancee but still not being able to grasp how masks work to protect everyone.  I'd have mentioned the other personal reference, but politicians (even borderline ones) hold no water to me, and we've all seen what a mess they've made of this pandemic, regardless of where they're from.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, Estil said:

Dude, even "just the flu" makes for at least a few terrible, awful, no good, very bad days. 😞  And you know what, people can in fact die from "just the flu"!  So that's no excuse at all.

People forget that "it's just the flu" is how 1918 started as well, and we all know how that turned out.

11 hours ago, Link said:

lol I’ve also noticed @Driftwood’s constant passive aggressive “disagree” reacts as I catch up with this thread which I haven’t been in a bit and, just, idk, lmao. Bro, say what you mean and say it mean.

otherwise chill TFO.

Amen.  He didn't care for it when I name dropped him, finally, immediately PM'ing me letting me know "I have no interest in engaging argument with someone regarding politics or vaccines in a VIDEO GAME FORUM".  Mostly knocked it off after that, at least for singling me out, but I guess the nonsense continues?  Seriously, if someone is going to "disagree" with everybody on a point, ON A VIDEO GAME FORUM, they ought to put up or shut up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Or find a job that doesn't require it (usually means distance) or you know, get vaxxed.

Here at work if you have a legit medical or religious reason, you have to get tested. Often.

Anyone who doesn't want to get vaxxed should have an alternative besides getting kicked out of their jobs or from society altogether.

See, I'm not against vaccines. I stayed home with my wife while she had Covid, our routine completely unchanged (except her not going to work) and I didn't even sneeze. Why I'm telling you this? Because, rationally, I didn't have to get shot. I was already immune and getting shot would add the risk of collateral effects.

People should have the right to reject something they don't trust and forcing them to take it, by threatening them with unemployment, travel restrictions and such, won't make things better, it won't convince them to let go whatever crazy reasoning they have against it. It will only make them more distrustful.

I believe these Covid vaccines are total c**p. Here in Brazil we have dengue, a disease transmitted by mosquitoes. It has a stronger variant called hemorrhagic dengue. About ten years ago they developed a vaccine. Long story short: after 5 years they discovered that people vaccinated against hemorrhagic dengue were more likely to develop this stronger variant. Only now they have another vaccine to correct this. Maybe.

So, I completely respect the individual liberty of not getting vaccinated against Covid and at the same time I don't treat people like they have the plague. No one knows the long term side effects. There are reports that the immune response from vaccines lasts only 6 to 12 months.

People and their families don't deserve to be homeless, starve to death or be removed from society because they are suspicious of something other people think it's flawless. It's not.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

47 minutes ago, obnoxious said:

People should have the right to reject something they don't trust

And other people have the right to not to trust or associate with those who choose not to get vaxxed.

47 minutes ago, obnoxious said:

forcing them to take it, by threatening them with unemployment, travel restrictions and such, won't make things better, it won't convince them to let go whatever crazy reasoning they have against it. It will only make them more distrustful.

Their loss.

Again, what of the rights of those who want to get vaxxed and want to only be around those who get vaxxed?

They have just as much rights as those who don't, and if the place of employment or organization (who are run by people, not machines or computers) decide to not allow people who won't get the vaccine in their place of work/business/gathering, that's their right as well.

You have the right not to get the vaccine. But don't be surprised if you're excluded from places that require the vaccine. That's how free society works.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Californication said:

I mean your country responded to covid as badly as the U.S. did, and your president took his cues/messaging from our shity president before so I am not surprised that some people think that way.

These are two separated topics. I'm talking about the vaccines not about morons in suits (all politicians included).

No way I'll get into politic discussion. My point is that social segregation will be a disaster worse than the virus.

You can heal a virus in a year but social rupture takes decades.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, obnoxious said:

Anyone who doesn't want to get vaxxed should have an alternative besides getting kicked out of their jobs or from society altogether.

Tested regularly, if the place allows it.

If not, then yes, they'll have to find a place of employment or gathering that doesn't require it.

If it does, better show up with proof.

1 minute ago, obnoxious said:

You can heal a virus in a year but social rupture takes decades.

There's more to it than just a virus. Plenty of riffs are there before COVID came along.

A lot of it was "I don't want to be told what to do, but I get to tell others what to do if it suits my interest."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Again, what of the rights of those who want to get vaxxed and want to only be around those who get vaxxed?

Yeah let's give them stars or tattoos. Oh but we won't have to if we just remove them from society. Right?

I'm sorry, I can't agree with this stuff. If employers want all their staff to vaccinated, it's liberty. When a government steps in and forces everyone to something, it's not.

I believe we're heading to a very dark social situation and just wanted to give my two cents on the matter. We have to be careful not to repeat the past while believing good intentions are enough.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1