IGNORED

What's the 'obscure-iest' game you played as a kid?

Nintegageo

I asked for, and received, an Atari Lynx for my 10th birthday so Batman Returns on Lynx is as obscure as it gets for young me.

Then we somehow ended up with a 3DO in 1994, I owned 3 games for it. Dragon's Lair is far from obscure, but Crash n' Burn and Total Eclipse remain mostly ignored to this day as do most 3DO exclusive that aren't featured in an AVGN episode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I never played any of the Oddworld games, but I feel like I hear people talking about them constantly. They seem especially popular in circles of people who aren't normally big into game (ie. nerds).
They seem like they'd be right up my alley, too. Very high on my endless to-play-list.

They are ridiculously difficult, funny, and beautiful. Can't reccomend them enough! No other games is like them (closest thing I can compare them to it heart of darkness, but odd world is way better).

My parents got me circus caper along with zelda 2 when I got my NES which was weird, because the game always struck me as creepy and random. 

A buddy’s brother had mighty bomb jack that I was in love with for some reason. 

He was a friend whose house I didnt go to  that often AND it was his older brothers who was 18 or so when I was 10- he kept it in his “secret” drawer (with condoms and a knife- dude was fucking badass) so even trying to get it was a sketchy maneuver. I forget why I wanted to play it so bad 😂😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

+1 on Circus Caper. I love that weird game. My brother and I used to beat that semi regularly back in the day. Actually got a boxed copy sitting here that I picked up at random the other year.

Another obscure game that I used to play the shit out of, and still play a lot is Skyroads(DOS). One of my all time favorites. The developers actually released it as freeware on their site a few years back http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/skyroads/

Also, Cyberia. Not the best game by any measure, but cool as fuck 90's sci-fi vibe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I asked for, and received, an Atari Lynx for my 10th birthday so Batman Returns on Lynx is as obscure as it gets for young me.

Then we somehow ended up with a 3DO in 1994, I owned 3 games for it. Dragon's Lair is far from obscure, but Crash n' Burn and Total Eclipse remain mostly ignored to this day as do most 3DO exclusive that aren't featured in an AVGN episode.

Crash N Burn is amazing.   One of the main reasons to snag a 3DO.

My first console was the Intellivsion up until around 1989, so I had in my childhood library some of the very obscure games put out by INTV. My favorite among them was Hover Force. It's one of the most graphically impressive games on the Intellivision:

During my teenage years, I wasted many hours playing a Macintosh shareware RPG called Realmz. 

• Like 1

The thing is, back then outside of the popular stuff that got spread all over Nintendo Power or their competition most games were fairly obscure, the box art and gibberish on the back sold it.  I had pretty good taste in games as a kid either buying or gifted as you generally ask for things.  I think while it's not now, back then maybe Faxanadu would have fit or Silent Service.  I was gifted Fester's Quest which was screwball unless you knew it was Addams Family stuff and watched it in reruns.  Also Little Nemo I definitely feel would qualify as it's just weird and most people probably had little idea it was based upon a turn of the century comic strip pretty much lost to time.

I didn't get the truly obscure quirky stuff until 1995 when I started picking up stuff at the end of high school into college at a second hand shop close by.

• Like 1

I forgot about Game Boy games...

the-sword-of-hope-07.png

As a kid I owned (and still own) The Sword of Hope. I got it thinking it would be something like Shadowgate, but was immediately disappointed when I learned it was something I didn't understand at all (a first person RPG/dungeon crawler with random encounters and turn based combat).

Eventually I pulled myself together to get through it, and actually liked it a lot. I didn't realise it then, but it would be my first JRPG.

Also, I got the game in Swedish and didn't understand half of it.

• Like 1