IGNORED

What's the 'obscure-iest' game you played as a kid?

Nintegageo

9 hours ago, AstralSoul13 said:

I remember going to one of my elementary school friend's house and they had Bible Adventures and MC Kids. Those were probably the weirdest, most obscure games I've played back then.

You ever play King of Kings?   The donkey that kicks everything is amazing.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, Kguillemette said:

Phelios is a shmup where instead of a spaceship, you are Apollo, the Greek sun god on a quest to save Artemis. Essentially, it's a shmup based on greek mythology. Cool bosses, epic music, creepy levels, good stuff.

Loved Phelios! There are a lot of good Genesis games out there that don't get enough love.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 8:55 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Probably something on PC.  Kingdom of Kroz or Mixed-Up Mother Goose

Played Mixed-Up Mother Goose when I was at my cousin's place visiting. I started playing it in the morning, and was still playing it in the afternoon when everyone else watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I had no interest in a movie at that time; was completely enamored with that game. I've thought about trying to download it and play it again, been so long.

9 hours ago, Nesmaster said:

Pretty sure that was over by the time I played it. Without the manual, I never got out of the first level.

I just think the concept of a contest for a game like that was hilarious and I didn't know about it til I watched the AVGN episode for it. I never played this one back in the day but even now I can't finish it. 

Got to play a Famicom and Super Mario Bros. 2 (the real thing not "SMB USA") back when I was like 4 in 1990 at a friend of my dad's house

I distinctly remember it as I got the poison mushroom immediately at the beginning and was completely confounded by it lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

I played a ton of Dinopark Tycoon on Mac at my mom's old school and Cowboys of Moo Mesa at Upper Crust Pizza back in the 90's. I think the obscure games I bought myself would be Robopon (GBC Pokemon clone), Culdcept (PS2 fantasy monopoly), and Cubivore (Was obscure at the time).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 3:19 PM, MiamiSlice said:

Ninja Boy 2 for GB. No one knew about this game. 

I also played Swords & Serpents on NES. I think I've only heard it mentioned once. 

From the days when I would buy stuff just because the cover looked cool. 

I only discovered Ninja Boy 1 + 2 last year, the first was frustrating but the second is bizarre and cool.

From my childhood, I'd say Beetle Adventure Racing (which wasn't obscure, it was even on Nintendo Power cover once IIRC, just never talked about now) and also I owned Bomberman 64: The Second Attack as a kid. Played it, got bored of it, sold it for a pittance to gamestop in the mid-2000s. I found out later I had lost a bundle on how expensive the cart got later, sucked but now I have a flash cart, so who cares? Collection be damned, just gimme the game! Also, had this GBC-exclusive Tom and Jerry game where you had to collect mice. Never knew anyone else to even mention that one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Atari Corp. rerelease of BASIC Programming as a kid. Not many people can say that. 2600 Double Dragon was also pretty obscure. Desert Falcon or Rampage would have been the most obscure 7800 game and I guess Astyanax for the NES.

I played a ton of old DOS games, but really cannot remember any names. Same with the TurboGrafx-16 (I can only remember playing Keith Courage and Battle Royale).  Rygar for the Lynx maybe. All my Genesis and Sega CD games were pretty mainstream.  Of course most of the Jaguar and Jaguar CD library could probably be considered obscure.

Edited by JeremiahJT
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I had an Action Max VHS game system when I was a kid. Only 2 game tapes though.

I forgot about those.  My adopted uncle (who was only a couple years older than me) had one of those.  I remember playing a game that seemed like a space shooter/alien invasion type of game.  Man, that was long ago.  I was about 5 or 6 and I also recall the novelty wore off after about the first playthrough.