IGNORED

What's the 'obscure-iest' game you played as a kid?

Nintegageo

We had the Action Max too, didn't get bored of it as fast as you two did I guess.  I liked the change in light gun games as you could only go so far playing Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and well that's it.  i remember having like 3 of the tapes, seems 5 were made looking at the wiki.  I had the blue thunde movie knockoff, the sub game hydrowar, and that aerial combat sonic fury one.  Having the variety between the three kept it more interesting longer.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As a kid, I don't know that I played anything all that obscure...or, at least, nothing really seemed obscure to me at the time. I just played whatever games I came across.

My mother went back to school to get a Computer Science degree, so I spent a lot of time in the university computer labs playing DOS games. Crystal Caves, Duke Nuke'm and Duke Nuke'm II, Space Quest and a bunch of others I can't remember.

As a teenager (and through to this day), I was the only person I knew that had a Sega CD, so anything I played on that system felt very unique and rare. Also, my friend's dad, who was in the music business, had bought a CD-i. The only game I remember playing on it was The 7th Guest. Not a rare game, per se, but playing it on the CD-i was probably not a very common occurrence.

In the mid-90's, I traded a friend a bunch of my Magic cards for a box of NES games (oh, if only I had held on to those cards today...). Among them was Clash at Demonhead, which was quite a fun game, although cryptic enough that I never did finish it. The rest of the games were pretty standard fare: Super Mario Bros. 3, Metroid, Zelda II, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Monopoly, Fester's Quest and about 10 others I don't remember.

Edit: I just remembered, the same day I got a Gameboy, I bought Bubble Ghost for it. Not really sure if it is considered obscure but I've never met anyone who's played it, let alone owned it. Fantastic game, by the way.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, Code Monkey said:

I used to rent Metal Storm all the time as a kid. A few years ago I tried remembering the name of it and couldn't figure it out. When I eventually figured out what it was and looked online at prices, I was pretty shocked.

I've owned a lot of games before that I didn't think would ever be worth anything.  Frankenstein and Sword Master were two of them.  If only I had know back then what I know now.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I played any console or handheld games that are considered obscure during my childhood. I didn't come across Donkey Kong Jr. Math, the Tengen version of Tetris, or multicarts until the early 2000's. However, I do remember renting the NES versions of Micro Machines, Pac-Mania, Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters, and The Jungle Book in 1994. I also rented The Flintstones: the Surprise at Dinosaur Peak the same year.

In the year 2000/2001, I played a few obscure PC/Flash games. I went to the Kraft Foods website and played some Oscar Mayer Flash games, such as Oscar Mayer Wiener Pong and a side-scrolling game where you drive the Wienermobile and pick up some kids. On another website, I played a Pac-Man game. It played basically like the original, but I believe it had all red ghosts, I think the maze was white, and Pac-Man was replaced with...someone's head. In 2003/2004, I visted Blizzard's website and found a demo of Rock n' Roll Racing for Game Boy Advance. I don't remember anyone ever talking about these games, but I was able to revisit some of them last year via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 8:55 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Probably something on PC.  Kingdom of Kroz or Mixed-Up Mother Goose

I rented Utopia as a kid as well. That is probably the most obscure game I played as a kid and I used to love that game. When I play the game now I do not get the same enjoyment and have not played it in a long time.

• Like 1

@MegaMan52 Blizzard if you have a battle.net account gives away Rock N Roll Racing for free, they popped it into a zip file with a copy of zsnes they had permission to use so you can play it in windows.  Also put up a copy of Lost Vikings with DOSBox, and the lesser known Windows port of Blackthorne -- the latter two DOS games too but also SNES and GBA as well.  Might as well relive a few more for free.

• Like 1

Borak.

It's a title that's so obscure that it was only in the last several years that a reference to it (and not even directly) showed up on Moby Games.

What is it?  It's an Ultima clone that a guy started writing for fun many, many, many years ago, didn't complete, then uploaded to a BBS to let people have what fun they could with it.  My brother ended up with a copy, who passed it on to my dad, and that's how I ended up seeing (and briefly fooling around with) it.

There's zero reference to the actual game anywhere on the internet, despite me looking off and on for years (as I didn't have a copy anymore, went looking, then in the last year dug far and deep enough into random CDs I'd burned at the dawn of burning backups to discover a copy deep, dep, into a directory tree of a single disc out of hundreds).  The sole "reference" to it on Moby Games is in the description for the game Proton, which was done by the same author, whose online handle was the same name as the game--Borak.  (Proton is another super obscure game I played back in the day, a PC version of the "Photon" IRL Laser Tag game)

For something that more people would recognize, probably Werewolf: The Last Warrior, which I got reasonably impressively through (3rd or 4th stage IIRC), all without any media coverage or walkthroughs/guides back in the day.

• Like 1