IGNORED

What was the rarest/most valuable game you owned as a kid?

Did you (or even a friend) own any rare or expensive games as a kid that are worth even more today? Did you have Stadium Events? Did you win a NWC gold cart from Nintendo Power? Did you get a Little Samson from the $1 bin at FuncoLand? For me, Mega Man for the NES is the only game that I owned as a kid that's worth more loose today than it cost new. I had a friend that got Earthbound when it came out, so that's the most expensive game I remember anyone I personally knew owning when it was new.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

I picked up Zombie Nation and Panic Restaurant for $2 each out of the bulk bins at my local flea market in my mid to late teens, back when NES stuff had gotten down to 5 for $10 or $3 each.  Picked up a CIB Action 52 around the same time for either $10 or $15 (can never remember, but the price tag is still on the box) at a local used game/movie/CD store that's since gone out of business.  Beyond that, nothing that's amazingly expensive, although a lot of the uncommon games I added during those years have definitely shot up in price since.

I luckily had all junk so when I got rid of them all, I didn't regret anything.  I think Castlevania 1 was my most expensive.  Darkman being the most uncommon.  A friend of mine that I didn't grow up with (I moved to his town), didn't get rid of all his stuff.  His parents didn't want to get him an SNES so they kept buying him NES games so he still his has Power Blade 1 and 2, Gun Nac and Felix the Cat.

I bought Earthbound for $29 on clearance. Still have the guide and box with it, but not the cards or box insert.

Worms 64, purchased new from the one place/chain in my area I remember having it. Still have it CIB.

A bit later on I bought Outrun 2006 for Xbox, for $6. I don't have the original case with the sticker for that, I swapped all my Xbox games (The few I did own from years ago) to 360 because I liked the cases better.

NES doesn't really fit the topic, only Mega Man 6.

I had Sculptor's Cut boxed that I picked up from BBV for $25 way back, but it got traded in with a handful of games so I could buy Kirby 64. That was the only time I traded in any N64 games too lol.

I had Adventures of Batman and Robin for SNES. Still have the cart.

It's not exceptionally valuable, but Ghostbusters for Sega Genesis is somewhat hard to find. I have the cart and box, but I don't recall if I ever owned the manual. I got used at a garage sale.

Honestly, I can't think of much worth mentioning. I was really into all things Squaresoft, so I had a copy of Einhander, as well as every other PS1 game they made.  I kept the box and all inserts for my copy of Zelda Ocarina of Time in mint shape, so if you count it as CIB because I eventually sold it CIB, that's probably the most expensive game I owned.

Also, when Sunsoft reissued the Game Boy Final Fantasy games, I bought one of each to keep sealed and I kept them in true gem mint condition.  I sold those items way to early.  I probably got, maybe, $150 , or whatever the rate was back then on eBay, for the lot back in early 2000's. 😢 That was before grading and I was at my peak-concern about condition of my games as collectibles.  Had I stuck with my habits back then and never sold, I could be setting on a small gold mine, but in the 2000s, I was away from college and I only had so much room in my dorm, plus people liked to steal around there.

This is going to sound lazy but most my games from the 80s/90s cart pre-3D era days I've retained and with their manuals/posters too.  Given how dumb stuff got this last decade with how people went crazy over stuff and wanting more for the added non-game parts, I've got quite a few things that are worth more than they retailed for first or second hand.  That earlier post for Earthbound, while I don't have a box, I do have the game and the guide which was a $20 pick up then.  But then there's plenty of things you could point a finger at now which while having no boxes I have manuals(+etc) for too: Dracula X, FF2/3, SOM, Soul Blazer, Super Mario RPG, Tengen Tetris.  And some still over original price with just the game: , Chrono Trigger, Bomberman 2Gargoyle's Quest 2, Mega Man 5, Ogre Battle, Sunset Riders, Space Megaforce, are some of the choices I could go with.  Gameboy never really matured over the old MSRP at least loose and I have few that have manuals, less with boxes(complete.)  I do have FF Adventure complete and Super Mario Land 2, those probably have some standing.

My neighbor had The Jetsons on NES.  We played it all the time and when I got older and started to collect I was like Ah Shoot when I went to track that one down to play.  I also rented Snow Bros a bunch from my local mom and pop rental store as a kid....that's about it.  I definitely got a lot of the "heavies" for NES when I was collecting in the late 90s for $5 or less...Bonk, Panic, BB2, etc etc...mostly all from GameStop clearance bins and GameCrazy stores that were attached to Hollywood Video.

Edited by 8bitsupremacy