IGNORED

Games You Have Beaten Recently?

Nightowljrm

Administrator · Posted
36 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Did you ever play the remake, Oath in Felghana? It's generally agreed upon by pretty much every person who has played it, that it's the best game in the entire Ys franchise 😮 

Oath in Felghana is easily the best game in the entire franchise, yeah.

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Multiplat Cat said:

I played and finished Ys III on Genesis years ago, and was unimpressed. Quickly forgot it, except that it was frustrating. Tried it again some years later and quickly stopped and forgot about it again. Also played some of the original Ys on Master System and frankly did not care for the game at all. That's all I've played of Ys, and it didn't win me over to the series or leave a good impression on me at all.

Try Oath in Felghana, it's a significant upgrade compared to the two you've played in every conceivable regard. 

Just played through "Metroid: Samus Returns" on the 3DS. 

It was interesting seeing elements from the entire series integrated into this one.  Lots of remixed music and power ups old and new.  For a while I thought I was playing a 2D version of Metroid Prime, since a lot of it was from that game.

The one thing I didn't like was the melee counter system.  The game really forces you to use these timed attacks against practically all enemies, at least early on.  Every time I would try to rush through an area with guns blazing, I'd end up losing tons of energy.  This obviously improved as the game progressed and I got better weapons.

I ended up getting 100% completion, but it took me a slow 17 hours.  Part of that is me exploring like a completionist, but a lot of this had to do with how long it takes to get around safely.

My favorite part of the game was the boss battles.  It was nice that the Metroid mutations had some actual AI instead of just always bum rushing at you.  Without spoiling too much, I was also surprised to see some new non-Metroid bosses.  Totally didn't see that coming, but I think they were nice additions to the game.

Overall, Samus Returns wasn't at all what I expected and it honestly made me miss the original a wee bit, but it was still a fun experience.

Side question: I know some people seem to prefer AM2R and other remakes, but I'm not sure why other than Nintendo made theirs after.  What do you like about these other games and are they really better?

Edited by rdrunner

Editorials Team · Posted

Returnal.  So I actually blew through this in maybe 12 hours or so.  I'll have to check, but I bet my deaths was under 10.  Only one longer run ended in death.  Flew through Act 2 in one try.

I wouldn't say the game is easy, but if you emphasize integrity and protection, you can get through a lot of fights with some sloppy play.  That was my crutch the entire time.

Excellent game overall.  Like a 3D Enter the Gungeon.

• Like 1

Super C!

This game has haunted me for far too long. I've beat the original many times but I've struggled with Super C. I finally made a real effort and did it. 1CC, no cheats.

Stage 6 in particular sucks. I still don't know a consistent way past the mouths unscathed. It seems like there's some luck involved.

I'd been stuck on stage 7 for a while now. Once I finally reached the last stage, it wasn't that bad at all. Beat it on my first try.

Super C has harder bosses for sure. Even if you have spread gun the bosses have some fight in them and don't just quickly go down like in the original.  And if you don't have spread, some of them are a real pain.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I just cleared GleyLancer [Mega Drive] on easy mode!

GleyLancer is currently the most expensive individual game I've ever purchased, so I had high hopes for it - and it didn't disappoint! It's a beginner-friendly space-shooter with enough variety in the stages and bosses to keep it engaging. The block-dodging section and the evolving final boss were standouts; and the incentive to cycle powerups and speed-levels for different stages is a mark of good design as far as I'm concerned.

While this isn't my favorite space-shooter, it certainly has a lot going for it - and I'm hyped to have added it to my collection and seen it through to the end.

(Also - this is the first game I've cleared on my new multi-cade that I've been working on for the past 2 months.)

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.55ee096bbb4c0bb0c0b3b09e37c481e5.jpeg

• Like 4

On 10/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, rdrunner said:

Side question: I know some people seem to prefer AM2R and other remakes, but I'm not sure why other than Nintendo made theirs after.  What do you like about these other games and are they really better?

Even though AM2R was a much smaller project, it had lots of hours of development over the course of 10+ years. There’s a ton of polish to the game. Typically (in the past) games would be made in secret by the developers with little feedback from fans, and sometimes would miss out on big opportunities for improvements.. AM2R was a fan game, there were tech demos released occasionally which allowed fans to share suggestions for improvements, not to mention the 10 years worth of ideas pouring in from die hard fans. 

There were some ideas introduced in AM2R that were used in Samus Returns, although Mercury Steam would probably contend it was just a coincidence that they had thought of the same ideas.

AM2R had a quasi-Super Metroid look and feel and was the closest thing we got to being the Super Metroid sequel (prequel actually) we were always waiting for. You can feel the level of polish as your playing AM2R, every little inch of the game was scrubbed to perfection. For those who had been following the Metroid fan projects over the years such as Metroid SR388, Valpskott’s Metroid, Metroid Prime 2D, etc which never got completed, there was a sense of pride when AM2R was finally released knowing all the work and dedication that DoctorM64 had put into it

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

I pre-ordered Modern Warfare II (2022) so I could play the campaign early, it was short but I have no regrets. Anyone who likes Call of Duty campaigns will not be disappointed, there are no major deviations from the normal linear levels and all kinds of gunfights. I was slightly surprised to see armored enemies and found them interesting in the beginning but as the game goes on they get overused and become sponges like enemies in the Division. They seem to have traded in large open battles for more tactical ones which I think are better but thats because I like CQB. There is neat ghillie suit mission and one very annoying one wherein you need to jump from the roof of your moving vehicle to new moving vehicles which has a very Jerry Bruckheimer feel to it. Recommended for those that dig the experience of the other 900 Call of Duty campaigns and aren't looking for anything outside the box. I'll give multiplayer a go when it comes out tomorrow and Warzone 2.0 out of curiosity 

Graphics Team · Posted
On 10/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, MagusSmurf said:

Beat Link to the Past again over the weekend. No Game Overs, no Save and Quits, no save states. It was fun but probably won’t be playing it (or any game) in quite that manner ever again.

1E7555BD-88B2-4533-AFE0-E5482BE6CFEC.jpeg.4ed717f5cd224f5a4d9c9232a58d2b31.jpeg

Whoa - how long did that take? 

-CasualCart

Darius Twin - 5/10

Competent but uninspired shmup with kinda bullshit final level. If I cared a lot about co-op play that would probably bump this up to a 6 but I...don't.

So far I've only beaten Easy Mode but I came away sufficiently unimpressed that I dunno if it's worth bothering seeing Normal Mode to the end.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - 6/10

The game's decent enough but feels like it's banking heavily on the charm and co-op to carry it through.

The platforming levels are generally fun but don't amount to that much on their own. (The sidescrolling sections of Warlock Zones I and IV-IX as a 7-level standalone game would be extremely short and probably not all that notable) And the remainder, the town stuff, doesn't do much for me. The town gameplay is indeed worse for me than the 2D sections, but I'm more annoyed at it throwing out like a dozen different shops and establishments per level the purposes of whose wares you can't easily ascertain. Didn't like it in River City Ransom, didn't like it here, though at least there's less (but unfortunately not zero) grinding than there was in that game. I don't feel like adding "really annoying shopping" to an action game is of much value. The minigame stuff is mildly amusing though.

• 2 weeks later...

Life Force on the NES!

For years I was never able to get past the third stage. And then I learned the trick is to keep to the far left of the screen. The flares will never spawn on the far left, and you can easily see them coming and get out of the way. As long as you're fully powered, the lasers and missiles will take care of enemies so it's just avoiding the flares. Fourth level also very easy when powered. But the last two stages took some time to figure out, as you can't make any mistakes and die because the game gets so much harder when you die.

In my winning run I no-deathed it until near the end of the last stage. But I had around 13 lives in reserve so no issues. The game would be so much harder with checkpoints instead of respawning right where you died.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

For years I was never able to get past the third stage. And then I learned the trick is to keep to the far left of the screen. The flares will never spawn on the far left, and you can easily see them coming and get out of the way. As long as you're fully powered, the lasers and missiles will take care of enemies so it's just avoiding the flares.

Good job.

The flares also have a set pattern. They first come singly, then in fast triplets. The real tricky spot is when they do three on the bottom immediately followed by three on the top, but there's enough time to dive down before the top ones start.

i finished Hollow Knight (Nintendo Switch)
this is a top notch Metroidvania style game. i really love this style of game, and this ranks up there with the best of them.
engaging story, great pseudo-retro graphics, and a haunting soundtrack all add to the experience. 
all that said, this game is BRUTALLY difficult, particularly the boss fights. and there's a LOT of boss fights. i gave up on this game a couple different times due to the challenge, but kept getting pulled back in. seriously, i think this is the toughest game i've ever seen the end on.

all in all, it took 50 hours, i earned 77% completion and the bad ending. good enough for me.

20221110_060940.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Playing through Kingdom (2015).  It's a simplified strategy game with 2D pixel art where you play as the king ( or queen ).  I guess I am on a roll with atmospheric games that are cryptic and have some issues/bugs.  I enjoyed this one though and am just going through the achievements now ( they are pretty terrible tbh ). 

I did encounter a somewhat game-breaking bug where my builders refused to build.  The first time it happened, they stopped midway through building an outpost/boundary and so my knights ( the most expensive units in the game ), archers, and other builders all got demolished.  A couple of builders also noped out on another run, but it was in a much less crucial spot and so I was finally able to win in spite of that.

It's free on Steam though.  It is fairly short ( 2-3 hours once you know what you're doing ) so the bugs don't have a huge effect ( I did read about someone getting 20+ hours in one of the sequels and one of the bugs happening ).  It's definitely stronger earlier on when you're having fun figuring things out, but I will likely check out the sequels when a sale pops up.

Edited by Redmond