IGNORED

Games within Games | What are some of your favorite examples?

nesmaster14

Hey folks, what are some of your favorite examples of games within games?  They come in many sizes from tiny menu/loading games, to mini-games, and even full-fledged games, but all are alongside or hidden in a single game. The games within games!

A few memorable ones for me that come to mind:

• Ape Escape 3 (PS2) -
    • "Mesal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater" - The amount of effort they put into this parody is epic; I'd basically consider it canon to the MGS series, haha.  Yet, it's only accessible in as an unlockable mini-game.
      • image.png.412a4ae24e57556fccfb6fc3119d6c6b.png
  • Beyond Good and Evil (PS2) -
    • Shufflepuck/air hockey/pallet game.  Fun little mini-game, I especially enjoyed the music/ambience of the whole scene.
      • image.png.6c05755a62b6a46c0062a84be30ff8fe.png
  • Flinstones: Rescue of Dino and Hoppy (NES)
    • Basketball - playing a full score basketball game in a platformer game was unexpected but a fun and creative use of the game engine.
      • image.png.30e9c1bc647ce6c6d04a147af1a1dee6.png
  • Dead Head Fred (PSP)
    • Pinball table - Dead Head Fred was a really cool game, and finding a decently simulated and fully-playable pinball machine within the game was a pleasant surprise.
      • image.png.e90b0040b7ccf097ba1ce7bdde6be40b.png image.png.8f0bde99979dcbdc6a20457734a142a4.png
  • Super Spy Hunter (NES)
    • Pong - it's hidden away via a code, but it's Pong on NES which I thought was cool to see.
      • image.png.c84ae9f55133d6734883b9a003bad3e9.png

Mini-games can have a surprising amount of effort put into them, some may get overlooked and can be a welcome and enjoyable addition to the game. 

So what are some of your favorites?

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Mystical Ninja on the SNES had some fun mini-games like whack-a-mole and snake. It also had a playable level of gradius in an arcade arena.

Shenmue had some Sega arcade games to play, in an arcade arena. I’ve never got to this point, but read about them on magazines.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Triple Triad was my favorite part of Final Fantasy VIII.  I also got a kick out of the Speed card game in Xenogears.

4 hours ago, nesmaster14 said:
  • Dead Head Fred (PSP)
    • Pinball table - Dead Head Fred was a really cool game, and finding a decently simulated and fully-playable pinball machine within the game was a pleasant surprise.
      • image.png.e90b0040b7ccf097ba1ce7bdde6be40b.png image.png.8f0bde99979dcbdc6a20457734a142a4.png

I did not know about this and now I suddenly want to buy it.  I'm a sucker for Pinball games.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
On 4/1/2024 at 9:06 PM, a3quit4s said:

Galf! Golf Story is a criminally underrated game. 

Came here to post this, but saw you beat me to it, so I had to come up with something else good real quick...

On 4/1/2024 at 10:16 PM, rdrunner said:

I like the Gradius intermission in Blades of Steel.  Thought it was really clever at the time.

But got beat again with my second pick! So I'll have to go with Tyrants Fight Through Time (Genesis), if you enter JOOLS as your password, you get to play a ripoff Asteroids game using some sprites of Tyrants... but don't try it cause it sucks.

• Like 2