IGNORED

Games within Games | What are some of your favorite examples?

nesmaster14

I thought of another one, Monkey Fight in the original Super Monkey Ball.  I never got into the main game, but playing this (along with Monkey Race and Monkey Target) multiplayer was a lot of fun.  Pretty sure I spent more time playing them than the main game.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I remember this section in Pokemon (Gold?) that was like a puzzle where you had to figure out how to slide across ice into stationary boulders in order to get to the other side of a cave.

It wasn't a separate "mini-game" or anything, but it was a really fun departure from the standard RPG gameplay everywhere else.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

The easy one came up for me, NES emulator TVs within the old GC(n64 JP?) Animal Crossing/Doubutsu no Mori.

Though I think one worth mentioning are the mini games hiding in the TV with Konami's Legend of the Mystical Ninja, it had a small piece of Gradius on that thing.

I'm not sure if this should fairly count but what about Wolfenstein 3D and Doom?

W3D on one of the chapters the hidden stage on that one is the map from Pac-Man redone in FPS style yet retains the ghost monsters in that form of 3D along with the pellets being replaced by in game items.

And then Doom had tne honor of adding 2 hidden stages within that were two full stages based on Wolfenstein 3D except you had Commander Keen strung up in a noose for decoration as another nod to an even earlier title.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 9:09 AM, bag said:

Jet Force Gemini had an arcade or 2 you could interact with and play. It's been a long time since I played the game, don't remember much. 

Rare also used this trick with Donkey Kong 64, although it was only to play the original DK. i remember thinking that was so awesome back in the day.

On 4/8/2024 at 9:57 AM, T-Pac said:

I remember this section in Pokemon (Gold?) that was like a puzzle where you had to figure out how to slide across ice into stationary boulders in order to get to the other side of a cave.

It wasn't a separate "mini-game" or anything, but it was a really fun departure from the standard RPG gameplay everywhere else.

to me, that seemed like a throwback to Mole Mania, as a lot of those puzzles require similar boulder sliding. BTW, if you haven't played that GameBoy game, i highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I always enjoyed being able to play Galaga during the loading screen on some of the Namco games during the PS1 era.  I always wondered why other games didn't do something similar.  I didn't realize until almost 30 years later that Namco was able to get a patent on loading screen games.  I would never of thought of that as something that could be patented.  It's too bad, because it was a great way to pass the time during the loading screen, which was often times very long during that era.  

• Like 1

I always thought Lords of Lunar was a great bonus. It's just Warlords with Lunar: The Silver Star characters, but it's a lot of fun in multiplayer. 

Technically, it's hidden on the "Making Of" disc that comes with Lunar, so I guess it's not actually in the main game. 

Also: Tiny Phalanx was pretty cool. The original Zero Divide had so much neat stuff hidden in it. 

• Like 1

You know I just thought of something that I guess may sort of count.  Ever try and fire up Dracula X (PCE CD) without the right system card?  If I remember right you get this wonky mini game of sorts instead.  Yup, googled it -- https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Akumajyo_Dracula_Peke

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1