IGNORED

Why is Stadium Events So Much More Expensive?

DefaultGen

I don’t get it. Sure it’s a rare game but so are many others. Sure you need it for the set but… not really it’s just the rare version of a common game. I don’t understand it. It’s not even the original platform the game was released on or the rarest release.

How come people splurge to complete their almost sets when they don’t have NWC Gold, a game that was released to the public by Nintendo. How come you don’t need FFF: Athletic World for your set and you can just get any Athletic World. Is it OK to get an Oval seal Castlevania, with later bug fixed code. Do black box famicom converted games even count as NES games? Why is Super Mario Bros Duck Hunt in the set? You already have those games. You know you guys can rethink and fix a 677 game list some guy made up decades ago right?? Why don’t rarer homebrews count, or Sachen games, or obscure BS only fcgamer types know about in other regions, idk it all sounds racist to me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I don’t get it. Sure it’s a rare game but so are many others. Sure you need it for the set but… not really it’s just the rare version of a common game. I don’t understand it. It’s not even the original platform the game was released on or the rarest release.

How come people splurge to complete their almost sets when they don’t have NWC Gold, a game that was released to the public by Nintendo. How come you don’t need FFF: Athletic World for your set and you can just get any Athletic World. Is it OK to get an Oval seal Castlevania, with later bug fixed code. Do black box famicom converted games even count as NES games? Why is Super Mario Bros Duck Hunt in the set? You already have those games. You know you guys can rethink and fix a 677 game list some guy made up decades ago right?? Why don’t rarer homebrews count, or Sachen games, or obscure BS only fcgamer types know about in other regions, idk it all sounds racist to me.

Go home Tyler, you're DRUNK.

• Haha 2

Haven’t we discussed/debated this ad naseum on here? Probably in at least 3 other threads?

To get a complete set of anything you have to define what a complete set is.  
Some sets might be easy to define while others might be more nuanced.

In regards to game collecting, there are to many variables the community has to settle on general rules, and while some people try to debate nuance of those details as too exclude Stadium Events, I’ve been following the collecting community, especially this one from NintendoAge since at least 2015, and the generally accepted rules that apply to a game/release are:

• Was the game officially licensed?
  • Does it have a unique serial code on the cartridge (excluding revision numbers)?
  • Was it made for the NES and specifically the US market?

If you answer yes to all three, then the game is considered necessary for your set.  And of course, this creates “have”s overlords who must justify that $2k-15k purchase they made for the game so they adamantly and vehemently argue over that serial code rule because that’s the smoking gun that makes this a “different game” for the set list.

But then all the Joe Normies are all “Waaaaa, but they are the same game with a different title card. It’s not a necessary game!” Which isn’t entirely invalid and is fine for them, personally, if they want to define a set without the serial rule and  instead replace the verbiage with something like an “official retail release”.

But, it seems as a community at-large, we have settled to agree with the “have”s that SE is a must-have cartridge for a complete set.

Oh and NWC doesn’t count because though it was released to the public in an official capacity by Nintendo, it does not have a serial code and is thus excluded. I think we allow this rule for two reasons.  One, it wasn’t retail.  Two, the “have”s for these are so few and far between that they can’t convince the masses that it’s necessary.
Plus, if they did, too few people would feel dilluted that they might, maybe one day complete a set if they ever get a “lucky break” on an SE, and they could therefore not hawk their dupes they picked up along the way for their complete sets onto the Johnny-Come-Latelies looking to pick up all that useless filler.

Edited by RH
  • Agree 1

Point: The line could be drawn anywhere, including obscure stuff, unofficial, unlicensed, pulled from store shelves, never sold to a human being, label revisions, code revisions, whatever items you wish to include.

Counterpoint: A lot of people agree that "all the games released contemporaneously with Nintendo's approval and sold to consumers in the US". This includes SE. There is limited supply. There is demand because people want to say they collected the whole thing in the first sentence.

If you want to try to convince the community they don't have a complete set of NA NES games because they don't have 3-screw and 5-screw versions of MegaMan 1 go ahead, but I don't think you'll make much headway.

I think a decent rule of thumb is how insane you would look if you tried to explain it to a layman. Explain to your grandma that you're trying to collect SE because it was released to US consumers and there aren't a lot of copies, but you still consider it a US release, she'll be like "OK son, I don't agree with your purchasing decisions but I get it." Try to explain how your NA NES set isn't complete because you don't have a V2 copy of Castlevania with a bug fix on it, even though the games look the exact same, or you don't have a complete set because you don't have two copies of MegaMan with the same code in them, the same label, box, and UPC because they changed the construction method of the plastic shell, you're going to get some weird looks...

If you want to collect a complete set which includes every game ever released for the platform, including every variant, go ahead, nobody's stopping you, everyone can set their own goalposts. As far as SE goes, that's the reason; it's a very clear, easy-to-explain, logical game to include in a set that lots of people are trying to complete, and it's rare.

This topic deserves a video though @DefaultGen the people need it.

• Agree 3

40 minutes ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Because it's a meme and nobody wants to sell it for less than what they paid, so it only goes up.

I think this is true for most rare games that have had their day, and for much of the mad-money that came into this hobby the past few years.

You can find a lot of "rare" games on eBay that have 2-3 games posted for sale that have been there for ages and, yet, the sellers refuse to drop their prices because no one else values those games in the price ranges they all want to maintain.  The rare $1 auction that drops for some of those games often prove that the last major push when a specific game was hyped is no longer realistic. 

• Agree 2

This is the problem with rare items though, their worth falls squarely between what people are willing to pay and what others are willing to sell for.

Once you get to a certain degree of rarity, there just aren't enough owners to rely on supply/demand because supply/demand can swing very easily. If there are only 20 owners of a game and 2 of them decide they want to sell at the same time, it can totally throw the price off. If none of the 20 want to sell, no amount of money in the world will get you that game.

Ninja Gaiden 3 for Playchoice-10 is insanely rare, there are probably 10-20 people out there with a copy. Someone on a Facebook group I participate in was offering $6k for one a little while back and the only responses he got were people mentioning the known owners, and doubt that anyone would budge. Pretty sure he never got a response from any of them.

At the end of the day if there are 1k copies of SE and they're all in the hands of collectors who want to keep them, the price will go up because there's only 1 person out of 1,000 willing to sell and he can charge whatever he wants (so long as the buyer is willing to pay).

Of course in any example like this, "wild" copies can appear and if aunt Betsy finds a SE in her attic she might just ditch it for under-market value, but the chances are most of these items are in the hands of collectors who have no desire to sell

• Agree 1

This would all be solved if everyone would pitch in on a communal Stadium Events. Everyone pays a little in the pot, we all claim ownership, and it sits in someone's house, and everyone has a full retail set.

I mean, no one's going to play it, and even if someone does get the itch to pull out the Power Pad, $5 WCTM scratches that.

There's no real downside to this. I'll even volunteer to keep it at my place, saving everyone space for one more cart. Of course, I'll forgo my contribution to the pot. I mean, it is taking up space in my abode. Plus, I'll have to get more secure locks and such, so that'll be my contribution.

I'll be waiting in the mail for it to arrive. No need to thank me. The knowledge that I'm helping everyone here is thanks enough. 🙂

( 😛 )

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2