IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon II

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to RUMBLE!

Violence enters the menu this week and only the worthy ones will be able to claim the victory!

Get ready for... DOUBLE DRAGON 2!!!

The rules of engagement are as follows:

• 1 player only
  • Play on Supreme Master
  • Play until you lose your first life or beat the game
  • Pause the game as you die or during the slow down sequence on the final boss to take your picture
  • No point racking allowed
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Beat ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 04/30/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1st Bearcat-Doug 159,530
2nd mbd39 119,590
3rd PII 113,670
4th Gloves 71,340
5th Richardhead 48,650
6th NESfiend 42,100
7th Dr. Morbis 32,070
8th SuperJimtendo 28,710
9th G-type 23,390
10th a3quit4s 15,180
11th Kguillemette 7,840
12th Murray 7,520
13th RH 2,730
  • Like 1

Love this game but Im terrible at the platforming. Never beat it. I did, however, win an ebay auction for a really nice cib copy at the hospital while my wife was being induced to have our 1st child. Don't worry, my son didnt come until several hours later and the game arrived safely a few days after he did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I did, however, win an ebay auction for a really nice cib copy at the hospital while my wife was being induced to have our 1st child. Don't worry, my son didnt come until several hours later and the game arrived safely a few days after he did. 

Plus you've got a good story to tell when they're old enough to get into NES games:

'Child, Thou Wert Born Most Gladly Under The Sign Of The Double Dragons... ...CIB.. ..Near Mint Condition, Child.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

THIS WEEK'S CONTEST IS AN ART CONTEST!

I don't care if you can paint like Michelangelo or if you can only draw stick figures. I want you to tag me and post art that you created of the one and only Bo Abobo. 

Do that and you'll be entered into the random prize drawing next Sunday night. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

I was just thinking: "Why not start DDII Week off with a bit of a flourish?"

I unearthed this Archaeological Relic..... sometime last year I think?  ....Recently.  I was going to post a pic last year anyway when we were playing DDII but didn't get around to it.  Now this may look like a cheap piece of Wood poorly cut and painted to be used as a last minute prop but it's actually a Genuine Hand Crafted Defensive Piece Of Equipment produced by legendary Artisan "Kid-PII" circa mid 1980's!  ....and, it saw a whole bunch of real battle!!  

You see "Kid-PII" and his possibly questionable friends of the era used to have actual battles in which random available things like Croquet Stakes (to make just one example) were used to "Sword Fight" and these bastards -er, ...children, liked to go for hits and stabs with these improvised devises.  Now Kid-PII was pretty good with a fiddle-stick, even then; but never-the-less he realized before long that adding a defensive strategy to the mix would be totally dope.

And so he set about to create this legendary shield.  You'll notice that it's reverse side is... ahem ...engraved with a Powerful Sigil !!  You might also notice that Kid-PII's extravagant use of capitalization was already running rampant at this young age.  Anyway, that's my quick tale about some young-uns who aspired to the Greatness that comes with being a No Good Street Punk and naturally figured that make-shift Swords & Shields were the way to go about that.

Hope you've enjoyed my little History here as much as I've enjoyed finding this treasure!

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 10.19.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 10.21.18 PM.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

Made a quick attempt, score updated on my first post. Beat em ups frustrate me, especially with how the scoring works. Ah well. I'll still try hard to get as high as I can, gotta keep winning. 

It looks like you played until game over. It's another one life contest this week.