IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon II

BeaIank

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I've no-deathed that game too. I wonder if it will ever appear in the contests again.

I hope so. I've been considering picking up as many games from the contests as I can at least those I end up enjoying, and that one is way up there on the list. Probably ridiculously expensive now of course, cuz fuck me, right? 

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I hope so. I've been considering picking up as many games from the contests as I can at least those I end up enjoying, and that one is way up there on the list. Probably ridiculously expensive now of course, cuz fuck me, right? 

I doubt it's expensive. It's not all that popular. Lemme check... Yeah it's going for $10-$15 on Ebay.

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

I wanna go back and see how many loops I can do. It doesn't seem to get harder so a score rollover might be possible depending on how long you're willing to leave your NES paused on the same game lol.

I did four loops in a row and hit just over 8 million.  It took me like two hours, and there are how many zeros in front of your score to fill up?   I honestly think it would take a year of playing it whenever you could and leaving your NES on to roll over that score counter.  Also, I had mid-20's for lives, so it would be interesting to see if your life counter maxed at 99 or rolled over as well, but even accomplishing that would take like seven or eight hours of playtime...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

"And then I jumped into the water "

I've noticed how it tends to be a common killer when platforming gets added to some other genre.

I had a good run end last week jumping across the center gap on level six so I could bomb the four boots...

3 minutes ago, PII said:

I've noticed how it tends to be a common killer when platforming gets added to some other genre.

I had a good run end last week jumping across the center gap on level six so I could bomb the four boots...

Is it even possible to make it to that platform with the boots? I tried and couldn't jump nearly far enough.

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Is it even possible to make it to that platform with the boots? I tried and couldn't jump nearly far enough.

Absolutely, with the long-hang jump if you go right off the edge.  You can even bomb them at the last moment before you land.  I never wanted to just go on the left side from the beginning because the jumping forward and avoiding being hit by those enemies that materialize out of nowhere was just too tight of a situation compared to doing it on the right side.  But then I noticed those 4 boots just begging to get bombed at the end of the left side and decided I'd better go for it.

Just now, PII said:

Absolutely, with the long-hang jump if you go right off the edge.  You can even bomb them at the last moment before you land.  I never wanted to just go on the left side from the beginning because the jumping forward and avoiding being hit by those enemies that materialize out of nowhere was just too tight of a situation compared to doing it on the right side.  But then I noticed those 4 boots just begging to get bombed at the end of the left side and decided I'd better go for it.

Thanks. I know I tried to jump over there once and I missed, and was scared to try again.

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Thanks. I know I tried to jump over there once and I missed, and was scared to try again.

My Pleazsh.  Yeah, DDII has the bridge + the platforming in the mansion & trap room, Isolated warrior has that level 6 jump, Dino Riki hits you with the mandatory platforming in 4-3.... All potential 1-life run enders.  Also, all are all time favorites for me personally...

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, PII said:

My Pleazsh.  Yeah, DDII has the bridge + the platforming in the mansion & trap room, Isolated warrior has that level 6 jump, Dino Riki hits you with the mandatory platforming in 4-3.... All potential 1-life run enders.  Also, all are all time favorites for me personally...

4-3 in Dino Riki has a set of wings, so the hardest platforming in the game can be skipped. 

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

4-3 in Dino Riki has a set of wings, so the hardest platforming in the game can be skipped. 

Not in the beginning of 4-3 though and not in the middle by the Volcanoes either.  Only the spot at the end has wings as a possibility.  Granted, I don't consider the first spot and the middle spot to be difficult at this point, but certainly when getting there for the first time it was rough.  Although, if one is not careful after the two volcano jumps it's easy to accidentally back into the pit because of all the stuff coming at you from the front...

One of these days I'ma hafta get around to perfecting the no wings run for that game.  That spot at the end of 4-3 becomes the hardest in the game without wings for sure. 

Administrator · Posted
Just now, PII said:

Not in the beginning of 4-3 though and not in the middle by the Volcanoes either.  Only the spot at the end has wings as a possibility.  Granted, I don't consider the first spot and the middle spot to be difficult at this point, but certainly when getting there for the first time it was rough.  Although, if one is not careful after the two volcano jumps it's easy to accidentally back into the pit because of all the stuff coming at you from the front...

One of these days I'ma hafta get around to perfecting the no wings run for that game.  That spot at the end of 4-3 becomes the hardest in the game without wings for sure. 

Not having or losing the wings will easily end your run if you're not really good at the platforming, and hopefully not maxed on speed.