IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon II

BeaIank

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Level 1 high score - 14,810

Just to annoy skinny with my sharing, I think the max score on Mission 1 is 24,000 points (assuming you didn't land any stray punches/kicks). I used to have a chart with the breakdown for each Mission, but I'd have to look for it. I came up with a "perfect" no point pressing score at the end of the game to be 164,500 but there are a few enemies that can take an extra jump kick without it falling under point racking, so a legit score in the 167k range should be possible.

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Just to annoy skinny with my sharing, I think the max score on Mission 1 is 24,000 points (assuming you didn't land any stray punches/kicks). I used to have a chart with the breakdown for each Mission, but I'd have to look for it. I came up with a "perfect" no point pressing score at the end of the game to be 164,500 but there are a few enemies that can take an extra jump kick without it falling under point racking, so a legit score in the 167k range should be possible.

Ohhhh I need to adjust my strat in this case, I'm clearly not optimized enough. I get 16k on level 1, but I'm JUST uppercutting. 

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Around 16k-17k is what I get on level 1 as well. It doesn't seem to matter much if I use uppercuts or spin kicks since they're worth the same amount of points.

Since I'm feeling generous and want to see if anyone can push my personal best, I'll just say that the uppercut, spin kick and knee are all worth the same amount of points, but they do different amounts of damage.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

Since I'm feeling generous and want to see if anyone can push my personal best, I'll just say that the uppercut, spin kick and knee are all worth the same amount of points, but they do different amounts of damage.

Yeah but the uppercut is the only one I can do with anything resembling consistency lol. 

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

True, but for the weaker guys on the first stage, it seems to take the same amount of hits with either.

And um, I'm still inconsistent with the spin kicks. Sometimes it just won't work and I don't feel like I'm going anything different, which is infuriating. It's much easier to do it in DD3.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

Doesn't help that I'm no good at beat em ups in the first place, they get under my skin. Look at my current score and you can probably imagine what was upsetting about that death lol. The big dude just before those spikes, with no room to jump cuz spikes on the ceiling, he ate me for breakfast. 

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

True, but for the weaker guys on the first stage, it seems to take the same amount of hits with either.

And um, I'm still inconsistent with the spin kicks. Sometimes it just won't work and I don't feel like I'm going anything different, which is infuriating. It's much easier to do it in DD3.

There are several enemies throughout the game that take the same amount of hits with the spin kick or the uppercut. I had them marked on my chart so I could make my attempts easier.

Just now, Gloves said:

The controls suck lol. The timing on the moves is silly. 

The controls are very precise for the special moves which is probably how it should be or it would be too easy.

I find it a lot easier to spin kick in Double Dragon 3. Plus enemies don't duck it in DD3, and it's satisfying to hit two enemies at once.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The controls are very precise for the special moves which is probably how it should be or it would be too easy.

I find it a lot easier to spin kick in Double Dragon 3. Plus enemies don't duck it in DD3, and it's satisfying to hit two enemies at once.

They suck! 

Beat em ups suck! 

Booooo! 

Spongebob Squarepants Thumbs Down GIF

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Doesn't help that I'm no good at beat em ups in the first place, they get under my skin. Look at my current score and you can probably imagine what was upsetting about that death lol. The big dude just before those spikes, with no room to jump cuz spikes on the ceiling, he ate me for breakfast. 

There is a strategy to get through that section without taking much damage and maximizing your points at the same time, but I can't give everything away!

13 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Everyone knows the original double dragon is better than double dragon2. But the double dragon movie is the best of the franchise. That cartoon probably ranks higher than double dragon 2. 

At least you didn't say Double Dragon 3 is the best of the franchise or I'd think you went crazy.