IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon II

BeaIank

6 minutes ago, PII said:

Tell me about it.  I kicked "Mr. Perfect Dreamboat's" Ass so many times this week without dying and then when I finally make it there without a single death I get the business, because nerves.  I think I prefer the speedrun for this one.  It's always really satisfying to whip through a group of enemies in record time...

Speedruns requires being proficient with the knee move which I am not. I like playing casually.

Also I'm glad that I tried again earlier or you would've beat me by a hair. And then I kept on going after I died and beat it with 133k this time. Doug's first place score is amazing.

Edited by mbd39

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Speedruns requires being proficient with the knee move which I am not. I like playing casually.

Also I'm glad that I tried again earlier or you would've beat me by a hair. And then I kept on going after I died and beat it with 133k this time. Doug's first place score is amazing.

My best run would've put me at 120k if I hadn't died.  The Arnold and 2 Abobos before the Ninjas were a pain for me this week and I noticed something.  While practicing on an emulator I could Hyper knee those three like clockwork every time.  When playing the Real Cartridge the timing was different and it was just terribly difficult to pull off.  I noticed that the timing between the two was totally different for the whirlwind kick as well.  It had to be done quicker on the emulator to work.

@Bearcat-Doug Yer still the man with the plan on this one.  160k is ridiculous.  I didn't really focus too much on all the small points, mostly just focused on all the big power move points while trying to no death it.  Learned a lot this week.  If there's a next time.... 

17 minutes ago, PII said:

@Bearcat-Doug Yer still the man with the plan on this one.  160k is ridiculous.  I didn't really focus too much on all the small points, mostly just focused on all the big power move points while trying to no death it.  Learned a lot this week.  If there's a next time.... 

Basically, the trick is just to spin kick everything since that's the weakest of the three special moves, but it still gets you 500 points each time you land it. The only time you have to improvise is in the underwater base where you have the spiked ceiling. You can jump into to ceiling on purpose and not get hurt (video game logic at its best) and throw an uppercut as you stand back up. The only other real problem area is with the grenade/dynamite throwing enemies that have a habit of blowing themselves up and costing you potential points.

44 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Basically, the trick is just to spin kick everything since that's the weakest of the three special moves

I figured it was necessary to use a lot of weaker moves in conjunction with the spinkick and and uppercut.  Good to know..

6 hours ago, PII said:

I figured it was necessary to use a lot of weaker moves in conjunction with the spinkick and and uppercut.  Good to know..

Based on the damage chart I used to go by, there were a few enemies that took the same amount of uppercuts and spin kicks to finish off, but most of them took an extra hit if you only used the spin kick which is an extra 500 points per enemy. You basically don't want to use the regular punches or kicks at all. They are only 10 points each and can cause too much damage to the enemy that may keep you from landing the maximum amount of 500 point spin kicks. A "perfect" run using all spin kicks (except at the first part of the underwater base where you have to use uppercuts due to the low ceiling) will give you a score of 164,500 points. There are a few enemies that can take some extra damage before landing the final spin kick which would make the potential maximum no point pressing score slightly higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Based on the damage chart I used to go by, there were a few enemies that took the same amount of uppercuts and spin kicks to finish off, but most of them took an extra hit if you only used the spin kick which is an extra 500 points per enemy. You basically don't want to use the regular punches or kicks at all. They are only 10 points each and can cause too much damage to the enemy that may keep you from landing the maximum amount of 500 point spin kicks. A "perfect" run using all spin kicks (except at the first part of the underwater base where you have to use uppercuts due to the low ceiling) will give you a score of 164,500 points. There are a few enemies that can take some extra damage before landing the final spin kick which would make the potential maximum no point pressing score slightly higher.

I figured out how to beat the first level with at at least 23k by spin kicking enemies. But it's easy on the first level. The problem is enemies almost always duck. Is there a consistent method for spin kicking all of the Abobos, etc.?

49 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I figured out how to beat the first level with at at least 23k by spin kicking enemies. But it's easy on the first level. The problem is enemies almost always duck. Is there a consistent method for spin kicking all of the Abobos, etc.?

If you jump towards them and they duck, don't do the spin kick while you're in the air. Wait and do it as soon as you land and they will stand right up into it. It's easier said than done, but you can get the timing down with practice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If you jump towards them and they duck, don't do the spin kick while you're in the air. Wait and do it as soon as you land and they will stand right up into it. It's easier said than done, but you can get the timing down with practice.

So there is a trick, cool.

Jumping as soon as you land can also turn into a knee attack.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

So there is a trick, cool.

Jumping as soon as you land can also turn into a knee attack.

Make it so when you jump over the enemy that you land with your back to them. You can't knee them by accident that way.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, G-type said:

considering how strict they made the timing to do the spin kick, the enemies are certainly good at ducking it.

They changed all of that in Double Dragon 3. Spin kick is much easier to execute and it's also much easier to hit enemies with it. One of the good things about DD3.

Events Team · Posted

At the end of the day, I need to go full Battletoads for this one when it shows up again next time and have a set of rules that will make it interesting to play.

High score is boring and low score is even more boring.

43 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

At the end of the day, I need to go full Battletoads for this one when it shows up again next time and have a set of rules that will make it interesting to play.

High score is boring and low score is even more boring.

Yeah. I think Double Dragon 3 is a better contest game than this one.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned
3 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Final standings posted.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks Bea.

Doug is the high score master when it comes to DD2. I could have done somewhat better but it wouldn't have mattered anyway because I wouldn't have topped Doug's score.