IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Isolated Warrior!

BeaIank

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Do the bonuses even really matter all that much if at all? I've only seen two instances where a bonus was actually a bonus level, with most of them just having a picture with a dude holding a dude, or another picture of a dude saying "intermission" and nothing happens (no score bonus, nothing at all).

Those areas completely power up your weapons/bombs or refill your health so they can be useful. The "intermission" one refills health so it doesn't look like anything's happening if you already have full health.

There are other bonus areas that provide items/points.

Edited by mbd39

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, I'm not throwing shade.  Maybe this game clicks with me a bit. I was just surprised with the general complaints around here.  You guys all tend to do better with this genre with @docile tapeworm sitting at the top.  I'm ok at shmups but so far this game just kind of felt like it was of average difficulty, but maybe I'm just getting better! 😛

In terms of NES shmups this one is comparatively easy for sure. But some folks aren't great at them in general, and beyond that the isometric view is really not great for accuracy and bearings.

Just now, Richardhead said:

Intermission=getting a full health bar

holding the dude=getting the bomb leveled up to 5 (only if you have full health)

Ah right, so... pointless. 😛

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

In terms of NES shmups this one is comparatively easy for sure. But some folks aren't great at them in general, and beyond that the isometric view is really not great for accuracy and bearings.

Ah right, so... pointless. 😛

I play pretty reckless to maximize my points. So the health helps me and I am not afraid to use bombs either. 
Definitely not pointless for me 😜

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I play pretty reckless to maximize my points. So the health helps me and I am not afraid to use bombs either. 
Definitely not pointless for me 😜

Yeah I'm playing it like a proper shmup; could probably stand to be more loose with it.

Holding the dude completely maxes out both of your weapons as well as the bombs. If nothing else, you get more bonus points at the end of a level by having everything maxed out. It's much easier to do this via secret area than by collecting all of the necessary items, at least in the first stage.

Well, I just posted my first official score.  Man, I started another run after that and I was doing well for me.  I finished off the first mini-boss with just one hit.  I got to the first series of build corridors and just when I was about to exit on the right-hand side, my player got glitch/stuck in the corner of the building. I couldn't move or jump out of it.  Boooo glitches.  Oh well, I'll avoid it next time.  I think I can at least break 200k on this game.  Hopefully.

@mbd39 @Gloves @Richardhead bunch of share Bears!!!! Lol

ya this one is pretty easy though. But there are some tactics. It will be fun to see how the podium turns out. @PII and @Dr. Morbis have been pretty quiet. Somebody’s not making podium this week. And that person will probably cry.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Do the bonuses even really matter all that much if at all? I've only seen two instances where a bonus was actually a bonus level, with most of them just having a picture with a dude holding a dude, or another picture of a dude saying "intermission" and nothing happens (no score bonus, nothing at all).

The two bonus stages I've seen were exactly the same and underwhelming in terms of benefits provided.

Seems nigh-on pointless to bother with them.

Dude bro those are survivors! Not just dudes.

what does the first dude throwing the head band about? I only see him once. Who is he and why is he? And who is the damn illusion?! 

26 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I don't understand how your bombs could be level 2 if you beat this deathless.

My guess would be that he's focusing 100% on staying alive.  Once you power up what you need, you can ignore the other power-ups.  Still, level 2 does feel kind of low, but I guess it's doable.  Especially if he stays jump/dodge happy.

33 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

5 minutes ago, RH said:

My guess would be that he's focusing 100% on staying alive.  Once you power up what you need, you can ignore the other power-ups.  Still, level 2 does feel kind of low, but I guess it's doable.  Especially if he stays jump/dodge happy.

He thought the (b) pickups were damage so he dodged them the entire run. Thanks a lot guys I had a chance at beating him but now I’m toast.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Oh shit my bad - it was getting late and I didn't put the important "I died on the last boss" note.

That's embarrassing. Apologies for the mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Oh shit my bad - it was getting late and I didn't put the important "I died on the last boss" note.

That's embarrassing. Apologies for the mistake.

Yeah, I kinda figured it was just a practice run after posting that, lol.

• Agree 1