IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Isolated Warrior!

BeaIank

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

But to be real for a moment, I'm happy to win or lose, we've both put up record breaking scores. Two kings, I'd say. 

Dude, it’s awesome. Respect my brother. Both incredible scores. And agree win or lose I’m just happy to have the opportunity to compete on the same level. You got me for now. I will give it another go. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Fuck, I should at least be able to beat this score before I quit. But I haven't even been able to get another deathless run since.

It would be pretty easy: just go to the level one bonus room that gives you a million power-ups and then proceed as normal.  I played blind and didn't know about any of the secret rooms so my run is the natural score you would get just trying to no-death the game without any research.

I did, however, look up what is required to beat the game before adding it to my personal list, and anyone else here who cares should know that beating the first seven levels is NOT fully completing this game; to roll the credits, you need to beat the second quest without continuing, so I personally had to keep playing after getting my score for this contest, so that I could actually beat the game for real and have it behind me for good.

It's funny, Adaml's game ending FAQ doesn't mention the true ending and I couldn't even find it on youtube, which, for NES games, is unheard of, so I had to actually beat the game myself to see the real ending.  I actually beat it four times in a row just to be sure since "Kid" (the developer) is known for putting their best endings behind three or four play-throughs in some of their other NES games, but you get the same final ending with the credits after every subsequent ending after the second loop...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It would be pretty easy: just get the level one bonus level that gives you a million power-ups and then proceed as normal.  I played blind and didn't know about any of the secret rooms so my run is the natural score you would get just trying to no-death the game without any research.

I did, however, look up what is required to beat the game before adding it to my personal list, and anyone else here who cares should know that beating the first seven levels is NOT fully completing this game; to roll the credits, you need to beat the second quest without continuing, so I personally had to keep playing after getting my score for this contest, so that I could actually beat the game for real and have it behind me for good.  It's funny, Adaml's game ending FAQ doesn't mention the true ending and I couldn't even find it on youtube, which, for NES games, is unheard of, so I had to actually beat the game myself to see the real ending.  I actually beat it four times in a row just to be sure since "Kid" (the developer) is known for putting their best endings behind three or four play-throughs in some of their other NES games, but you get the same final ending with the credits after every subsequent ending after the second loop...

It shouldn't be that hard but I still keep fucking up. Like just now I stupidly missed a jump at the stage 4 boss and I was having a pretty good run,

I actually have done two loops to get the credits before, back in 2016. The "beat every game in a year" thread doesn't even require two loops, only that you beat the first loop without continuing.

Edited by mbd39

Administrator · Posted
52 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Okay I just got around 2,065,000. And that was with a really shitty final boss fight. Makes me want to keep trying.

It's become one of the games on my list to pick up if I can. It's juuuuust outside of my currently acceptable price range unfortunately, and the copies on ebay aren't exactly great condition (nor complete).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's become one of the games on my list to pick up if I can. It's juuuuust outside of my currently acceptable price range unfortunately, and the copies on ebay aren't exactly great condition (nor complete).

I should have pulled the trigger on a nice cib that just went for around $120. Kinda kicking myself for that one.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Wow, I just checked, and game was $27 when I bought a loose cart in 2016. Now the price is getting ridiculous. I wonder why people care about it now.

You tube “hidden gem” deep cut developer “kid”, awesome visuals, cool with the aliens/robots, max maverick, good mix of the genres shooter/platformer….it’s got all the right ingredients.

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This game is stupid finicky with the hidden areas. Sometimes I throw bombs and nothing happens, I guess because I'm not in the exact right spot. This happened right before the final boss in my last run which cost me a bunch of points.

It does happen sometimes. I’ve only missed on a couple though throughout the week.

On 4/16/2023 at 2:42 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

Score Edit - Learning the game... 632,400

Score Edit #2 - Finished a no-death run, and I hate isometric games, so I'm done: 2,103,700

Marble Madness, Snake Rattle n Roll, Cobra Triangle and this game are all great.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Marble Madness, Snake Rattle n Roll, Cobra Triangle and this game are all great.

Sa more Great/Good ones:

R.C. Pro-Am 

R.C. Pro-Am II

Paperboy

Paperboy 2

The Immortal 

Q*bert

Solstice

Zen Intergalactic Ninja

Captain Skyhawk

The Last Ninja

Pacmania

Also, Rollerblade Racer - not sure if that counts as good or not though..

There're a few more that are either bad, meh, or just inconsequential, isometrically speaking... imo

So, hopefully next year's Shooter schedule will look something like this:

Paperboy

Isolated Warrior

Captain Skyhawk

Paperboy 2

Maybe throw R.C. Pro-Am in there too; it's got shootin'.

• Like 1