IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Isolated Warrior!

BeaIank

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Adjusted the participation threshold to make it easier to get in one life.

I was going to suggest this. I think part of the reason it was that high in the previous contest is that 100k is the default high score and we were playing until game over. The score has to be at least 101k to show in the high score spot when you continue.  The one life rules negate that.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, docile tapeworm said:

You can do it! Wwwwwwooooo! Let’s go Michael!!!! C’mon baby!

It’s gonna be tight at the top. 50k probably separate 1-3 maybe 1-5 depending on who plays.

Assuming similar skill and strats among the top players it could come down to RNG. How many of those bonus points orbs enemies drop seems random and they add up.

I played it very safe and stuck with straight shot the entire game so didn't kill nearly as many enemies as I could have, but I had great luck with the boss fights.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Assuming similar skill and strats among the top players it could come down to RNG. How many of those bonus points orbs enemies drop seems random and they add up.

I played it very safe and stuck with straight shot the entire game so didn't kill nearly as many enemies as I could have, but I had great luck with the boss fights.

Ya the (!) pick ups are what you want. like you said they seem random.

8 hours ago, G-type said:

I can't figure out how to jump over the stupid trenches. I think I've only ever done it by accident.

Are you serious? The jumping is very floaty. Just hold the jump button to stay in the air longer and do a somersault.

Well, getting your alignment right does take a bit of practice.  This is a cool game but the hit box areas are a bit wonky.  I found that paying more attention to my shadow to align myself with the isometric perspective helps a lot.

Getting 100,000 isn't difficult.  If you can get through Stage 1 to the bonus screen,  you should have more than enough points for that.  Dropping it down to 50k means all you have to do is defeat the first mini-boss and you've participated.

It is a funny game with it's quirks but it's not hard to get enough points to score participation.  Also, if you have an emulator, just save a state as the level starts.  I find quick-restarts really help me get better.  Save a state at a tricky spot and just run it over and over ad nauseum until you can get past that area 75-85% of the time and you can do just fine.

I have probably put less than 1 hour into this game and I can get past stage one usually.  I'll at least have a 125k participation score.  I hate how busy I've been, but I feel that if I can do that in about an hour, certainly you other guys with experience can get 50k.  Just pay attention to your character alignment and get a feel for how that works before pushing for better scores.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Are you serious? The jumping is very floaty. Just hold the jump button to stay in the air longer and do a somersault.

I figured out the problem.... I got let the screen scroll down further... you try to jump when the trench is too far up, it cuts your jump off early.

7 minutes ago, G-type said:

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I found it to be at least 10x harder than the previous 3.

Well, I'm not throwing shade.  Maybe this game clicks with me a bit. I was just surprised with the general complaints around here.  You guys all tend to do better with this genre with @docile tapeworm sitting at the top.  I'm ok at shmups but so far this game just kind of felt like it was of average difficulty, but maybe I'm just getting better! 😛

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Do the bonuses even really matter all that much if at all? I've only seen two instances where a bonus was actually a bonus level, with most of them just having a picture with a dude holding a dude, or another picture of a dude saying "intermission" and nothing happens (no score bonus, nothing at all).

The two bonus stages I've seen were exactly the same and underwhelming in terms of benefits provided.

Seems nigh-on pointless to bother with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gloves said:

Do the bonuses even really matter all that much if at all? I've only seen two instances where a bonus was actually a bonus level, with most of them just having a picture with a dude holding a dude, or another picture of a dude saying "intermission" and nothing happens (no score bonus, nothing at all).

The two bonus stages I've seen were exactly the same and underwhelming in terms of benefits provided.

Seems nigh-on pointless to bother with them.

Intermission=getting a full health bar

holding the dude=getting the bomb leveled up to 5 (only if you have full health)

the other ones are bonus points. I do believe there is one of each in each stage. But I don’t know for certain.

• Wow! 1