IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Isolated Warrior!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Hello everyone. We're ready for some shooting action this week.
This week we revisit a great shmup on the NES, Isolated Warrior.

The rules for this week are as follow:

• Play until you die for the first time
  • One loop only.  If you loop the game, take a picture when the game loops back to the beginning.  If anyone is suspected of playing beyond the first loop, their score will be disqualified.
  • To get your score, Pause then game as you die.  
  • You can't point press the bosses.
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 51,000
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 04/23/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Events Team · Posted
1st Gloves 2,401,100
2nd docile tapeworm 2,342,600
3rd PII 2,211,600
4th mbd39 2,112,000
5th Dr. Morbis 2,103,700
6th Richardhead 1,359,900
7th NESfiend 414,200
8th RH 405,600
9th a3quit4s 160,700
10th G-type 139,900
11th SuperJimtendo 58,600

45 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

🏆

I like how right after you start talkin' about how yer gonna beat everyone around 1:35 there comes the call of a baby from the next room.

then there is the greatest of all time. The one! The only! skinnygrinny!!! Wwwwwooooooooo!!!

You forgot to mention his legendary modesty!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, PII said:

I like how right after you start talkin' about how yer gonna beat everyone around 1:35 there comes the call of a baby from the next room.

then there is the greatest of all time. The one! The only! skinnygrinny!!! Wwwwwooooooooo!!!

You forgot to mention his legendary modesty!

Dude it’s not the best promo but I literal had like 2 min of spare time while my wife was bathing the boy to cut this lol. I missed some good stuff but I had to get it in quick! Lol

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Dude it’s not the best promo but I literal had like 2 min of spare time while my wife was bathing the boy to cut this lol. I missed some good stuff but I had to get it in quick! Lol

The 2nd time around with headphones on so I could hear everything was even better...  The fact you did it in a single take makes it yet more impressive.

..makes me think of the last time you revealed yourself: You were wearing the Tiara and your head was bouncing around quite violently and it had something to do with "shooter champing" and I just kept thinking, "Wow, it really is incredible how much some people really do resemble their Avatar!"

• Haha 1

Also stage 2 and stage 6? Boss can be bullshited for points pretty easy. 

stage 2 boss cheese can be negated if you hit it with a level 5 bomb right away. 

stage 6 boss just don’t destroy his projectiles and you won’t rip off cheap points.

Edited by docile tapeworm

Well, I’ve never played this one til tonight.  I managed to get to about 60,000.  Hopefully I can get to where I can beat the first stage.  This is a fun game and I’m enjoying it.

So realistically what is the highest possible score in this game? The counter goes up to 9,999,999,999 but There’s no way you can rack up a billion points in an NES game, is there?

45 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, I’ve never played this one til tonight.  I managed to get to about 60,000.  Hopefully I can get to where I can beat the first stage.  This is a fun game and I’m enjoying it.

So realistically what is the highest possible score in this game? The counter goes up to 9,999,999,999 but There’s no way you can rack up a billion points in an NES game, is there?

The game loops so you might be able to do it lol

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

The game loops so you might be able to do it lol

Oh, I understand that the game loops, but I doubt they coded this game to do math up to 10B points. That would have been something for the NES.

Realistically, the max internal score is probably 99,999,999 because if every storable item or hit in the game is factored by 100, then the last two digits of the number are probably dummy number since they never change.  Still, doing the work to manage a 32-bit integer feels like overkill to me, but I guess it’s cool if they actually did that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's equal parts funny and unsettling at the same time. 😂

I can’t see what’s unsettling about a grown man with wife and kids wearing a tiara and 3 child’s toy wrestling belts, proclaiming victory over a bunch of other grown men at a 30 year old video game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

I can’t see what’s unsettling about a grown man with wife and kids wearing a tiara and 3 child’s toy wrestling belts, proclaiming victory over a bunch of other grown men at a 30 year old video game.

The foam toy belts are the unsettling part. Do it right and get the $500 replicas! 🤣

• Haha 1