IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Isolated Warrior!

BeaIank

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Events Team · Posted
13 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Also stage 2 and stage 6? Boss can be bullshited for points pretty easy. 

stage 2 boss cheese can be negated if you hit it with a level 5 bomb right away. 

stage 6 boss just don’t destroy his projectiles and you won’t rip off cheap points.

Changed the rules so that you can't point press the bosses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I’m gonna try to capture a run this week because if you play through with style @JamesRobot @PII you will garner less points than you will on a sloppy run.

Be sure to record a video at some point so it can be pointed out how much your winning run lacked in the departments of "Grace", "Finesse", Style etc. and someone can declare that you merely "Clod-homped" your way through the game! 😉 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, G-type said:

this is probably impossible for me.. I'll sit this one out.

Im going to get my participation score and take an @Bearcat-Doug style break. Bought this game when it was all the rage in the hidden gems discussions. Couldn't get into it then and not really getting it now.

Shooters, and popular ones like this especially, bring out the giants. Good week to eat popcorn and root for @docile tapeworm

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Bought this game when it was all the rage in the hidden gems discussions. Couldn't get into it then and not really getting it now.

Shooters, and popular ones like this especially, bring out the giants. Good week to eat popcorn and root for @docile tapeworm

I didn’t know this was a popular game.

15 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I didn’t know this was a popular game.

Popular is not the right term. It was the top answer for "hidden gems" discussions for some time, so maybe the most rediscovered game? Either way, @mbd39 post and your hype video makes it seem like it has some legitimate contest history. And even moderately popular shooters seem to bring out the ringers in hiding. Going to be a tough week by my estimation

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Popular is not the right term. It was the top answer for "hidden gems" discussions for some time, so maybe the most rediscovered game? Either way, @mbd39 post and your hype video makes it seem like it has some legitimate contest history. And even moderately popular shooters seem to bring out the ringers in hiding. Going to be a tough week by my estimation

Oh ya that makes sense, the hidden gem thing.

It’s a really fun game imo. The 3rd stage boss is a masterpiece and can hold its own with any sprite on the system. Then you realize it’s throwing its brain at you, one piece at a time, as an attack…..whooooa dude did you see that?!

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

Oh ya that makes sense, the hidden gem thing.

It’s a really fun game imo. The 3rd stage boss is a masterpiece and can hold its own with any sprite on the system. Then you realize it’s throwing its brain at you, one piece at a time, as an attack…..whooooa dude did you see that?!

The game is well made for the most part. I like that you can switch weapons as you die in order to avoid Gradius effect.

The biggest flaw is being unable to jump when holding down in stage 4. That can cause some cheap and infuriating deaths.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

The game is well made for the most part. I like that you can switch weapons as you die in order to avoid Gradius effect.

The biggest flaw is being unable to jump when holding down in stage 4. That can cause some cheap and infuriating deaths.

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

First attempt:

Yeah the pop a wheelie bullshit killed me lol. No need for a guide on this one, I like shooters, will play it plenty this week. 

You guys most not have your motorcycle endorsement. 200.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Im going to get my participation score and take an @Bearcat-Doug style break. Bought this game when it was all the rage in the hidden gems discussions. Couldn't get into it then and not really getting it now.

I'm glad that I now have a specific style of laziness named after me. It's truly an honor. 🤣

• Haha 2

Man, I wish I had skipped last week trying to beat the other, last place person and worked on this game.  This one's like Battletoads--using save states and practicing each level, it's a lot easier than it seems if you just try to brute force your way through this.

If I had more practice, I could have probably thrown up a semi-decent score this week.  I'll see what I can do. I can consistently get through the first boss without dying and half the time I can finish the first stage to the bonus screen. I'm going to try and be more intentional with this one.  It is a good game.

If anyone has a copy they want to part with, PM me.  I'd like to pick this one up.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Also I want to share how proud I am of myself right now. I made that gif all by myself. It took about 30 minutes and some blind banging my head into a wall trail and error, I downloaded a app, joined Giphy and in the end I was able to figure out how to do it with just my iPhone…… I’m fucking pumped right now!!!!!💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩

• Wow! 1