IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Isolated Warrior!

BeaIank

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Administrator · Posted

I think I've got the first loop pretty well down. I can beat any section of the game without taking damage, and knowing there's the bonus rooms, I sacrifice some life in certain spots to maximize points (especially on level 1) knowing that I'll get it back and then just no-hit the boss. The biggest point loss is that I use a bomb on the last level knowing I won't get it back, so I lose some points there, though I think the bomb being used makes me more points on the level than it loses by being used. 

If anyone else is doing perfect runs, it'll come down to random chance on the amount of 2k point items dropped, which I'm fine with. I've done a bunch of runs tracking the amount of bonus items I get per level and my current high score was decidedly higher than any others, so I'm pretty confident it'd take some relatively extreme luck to get much higher. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
57 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Gloves like I said I think it’s gonna be close at the top.

Far as I can tell you're sat at a measly million, so I dunno about that. Our boy PII put up an okay score, probably closer to where you might land if you really put in some effort.

randy savage man GIF

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I had to take apart my controller and clean it because the dpad was getting unresponsive. Seems to work better now. Eventually I'll need a new controller.

I'm in a similar boat.  I have at least 4 NES controllers at present and I'm not satisfied with any of them including the one I've been using as my standard for some time.  I cleaned that one out after last year's NES Weekly and I'm still not satisfied with it.  So most of the time now I'm using a different controller with all new pad replacements which is decent for most but not all games...

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I had to take apart my controller and clean it because the dpad was getting unresponsive. Seems to work better now. Eventually I'll need a new controller.

1 hour ago, PII said:

I'm in a similar boat.  I have at least 4 NES controllers at present and I'm not satisfied with any of them including the one I've been using as my standard for some time.  I cleaned that one out after last year's NES Weekly and I'm still not satisfied with it.  So most of the time now I'm using a different controller with all new pad replacements which is decent for most but not all games...

Damn I should have been smart enough to ask in here before I put mine up for auction. I had like 20 controllers. I got like 8 left that are good. I mean GOOD, not pretty but nice d-pads and a/b.  I’m paranoid to let them go though because I like to have plenty that work good. 

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

*Looks at clock*

Huh... weird...

That's like 4 years ago!

Not as good as I once was but I’m as good once as I ever was

question are you not using a 5bomb on stage two boss then? I have been in order to avoid the points from the 100 point projectiles. Also losing 4k in the process of using the 5 flash bomb

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Not as good as I once was but I’m as good once as I ever was

question are you not using a 5bomb on stage two boss then? I have been in order to avoid the points from the 100 point projectiles. Also losing 4k in the process of using the 5 flash bomb

Oh we're sharing strats now?

19 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Damn I should have been smart enough to ask in here before I put mine up for auction. I had like 20 controllers. I got like 8 left that are good. I mean GOOD, not pretty but nice d-pads and a/b.  I’m paranoid to let them go though because I like to have plenty that work good. 

Yeah, I've let go of far to many good ones myself.  Shoulda been lookin' out for numero uno...

18 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

B488F9A9-7C0E-4093-A987-5129DC8F0F66.gif

Yup, that's the one I was talkin' about before.  That guy looks just like his Avatar pic.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Strat? You mean the Strat of are you taking the cheap points or not?

looks like style points should count there.

I'm playing the game like a normal human being. The rules are not to point press. That doesn't mean you have to avoid incidental points while killing a boss, that's just silly. Your choice to make if you wanna leave points on the table, but I'm playing normally. 

For the level 2 boss, I use the wide shot and focus down the boss while avoiding his bullets. The wide shot kills the rocks so I don't have to worry about them.

And no, I'm not wasting bombs and throwing those points away.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 2:42 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

Score Edit - Learning the game... 632,400

Score Edit #2 - Finished a no-death run, and I hate isometric games, so I'm done: 2,103,700

IW-2.JPG

Fuck, I should at least be able to beat this score before I quit. But I haven't even been able to get another deathless run since.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm playing the game like a normal human being. The rules are not to point press. That doesn't mean you have to avoid incidental points while killing a boss, that's just silly. Your choice to make if you wanna leave points on the table, but I'm playing normally. 

For the level 2 boss, I use the wide shot and focus down the boss while avoiding his bullets. The wide shot kills the rocks so I don't have to worry about them.

And no, I'm not wasting bombs and throwing those points away.

Fair enough. I’d say that’s what’s separating our current scores then 🎩

updated score on pg 1

44 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That doesn't mean you have to avoid incidental points while killing a boss, that's just silly.

So if I can’t destroy the 2nd stage boss as quickly as you, garner more points because of it, that determines a win over a loss… you’re ok with that? 

you would be ok with potentially losing to a run that wasn’t as clean?

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I mean I guess I’ll pull a super cheese run and just pillage the stage 2 and 6 boss for cheap points. Probably could gain another 10-15k imo.

To say it's a cheese method or whatever really doesn't respect the amount of effort I've put into getting good at the game. Like I say I'm just playing normally. I'm not avoiding killing those things, but I'm not cheesing it either. I'd say I hardly get any points from the stage 6 boss, since they're mostly avoided while I get the kill (I use the laser on that boss). Again, the points are incidental, not being farmed, grinded, cheesed, nothing of the sort.

I appreciate you've put up a good score but to say my score is in any way lesser is pretty rude.

BUT WHAT ELSE COULD I EXPECT FROM OLD MAN NATURE BOY AMIRITE EHHHHHHH!!!

ric flair flop GIF

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

So if I can’t destroy the 2nd stage boss as quickly as you, garner more points because of it, that determines a win over a loss… you’re ok with that? 

you would be ok with potentially losing to a run that wasn’t as clean?

I'm okay with people playing the way they feel comfortable, win or lose. If you can't beat the boss as fast as I can using the same method, can you live with yourself? 

Randy Savage Deal With It GIF

• Haha 1