Final Fantasy 3 = Final Fantasy 6

or

Super Mario Advance = Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Advance 2 = Super Mario World
Super Mario Advance 3 = Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Advance 4 = Super Mario Bros 3

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1

I'm going to go with Super Mario Advance series, because they screwed that up for no good reason... at least Final Fantasy had an excuse... they didn't have enough staff to handle translating all the games at the time, and thought it would cause more confusion to have missing games in the series... but even that could have been mitigated if they just went in order

(Even after their initial screw up... they could have gotten the mario games back on track if they had switched Mario 3 with Yoshi's island!)

or better yet... name them: "Original name of the game" + "Advance"

Edited by G-type
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, G-type said:

Final Fantasy 2 = Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 3 = Final Fantasy 6

or

Super Mario Advance = Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Advance 2 = Super Mario World
Super Mario Advance 3 = Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Advance 4 = Super Mario Bros 3

Wait they went backwards from the SNES games to SMB3?

Final Fantasy

Nobody was really fooled into using the Super Mario Advance titles or game order when talking about those games in general so they basically didn't matter long term whereas the Final Fantasy renumbering has made talking about the older games mildly more annoying than it should be to this day.

• Agree 1

Historically Final Fantasy totally given the decades of confusion it has caused now...seriously 30 years and going if someone isn't aware.

The Mario games though, if you're a handheld only gamer more or less, that was a big mind screw having them out of order, and in the case of SMB3 doubly confusing out of order.  It's Mario 4 and 3 in the same title which is screwball.  That and they were like Mario Allstars(largely) tweaked ports as re-releases.  The FF stuff was a mainline mind screw that persists.

Mario for sure, because they just went bonkers with it.

No on Final Fantasy because it made complete sense at the time, and there's not one single person on the planet who doesn't already know that FFIII(SNES) = FFVI(SFC). Because if somebody does refer to the game as Final Fantasy 3 (God forbid), it takes literally 12 milliseconds for somebody to respond, "You DO realize that it's actually FINAL FANTASY 6, right? RIGHT?!?!?"

Edited by cj_robot
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, cj_robot said:

there's not one single person on the planet who doesn't already know that FFIII(SNES) = FFVI(SFC). Because if somebody does refer to the game as Final Fantasy 3 (God forbid), it takes literally 12 milliseconds for somebody to respond, "You DO realize that it's actually FINAL FANTASY 6, right? RIGHT?!?!?"

but from this argument, is there "one single person on the planet who doesn't already know that" Super Mario Bros 3 is Super Mario Bros 3 (aka Super Mario Advance 4)? like, the entire name is still in the title of the re-release. 

The Final Fantasy one confused more people in the grand scheme of things, but in terms of being egregious I'd have to go with the Super Mario Advance series.

In order it was a game that was numbered 2 (despite there being some other game with that number), followed by some game that at times would be given the number 4 (though not always), followed by a game that plays nothing like the previous one but was labeled as its sequel, followed by a game given the number 3. I typed that and it would still confuse me if I tried to read it

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

but from this argument, is there "one single person on the planet who doesn't already know that" Super Mario Bros 3 is Super Mario Bros 3 (aka Super Mario Advance 4)? like, the entire name is still in the title of the re-release. 

Yeah, if you're staring at the cartridge, sure I guess. But could anybody actually recite all the titles with the correct numbers from memory? Not me, that's for sure.

I just realized.. didn't the Japanese Super Mario World include the subtitle Super Mario Bros. 4? Doesn't that make the GBA game's full title Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World? I kinda like it, actually.

Edited by cj_robot

Administrator · Posted

Mario - they did the numbering of the GBA games knowing full-well what the order was, and with the games being released worldwide across all titles it would have been a no-brainer to simply release them in order and retain the original convention.

FF they did the best they could given their limited resources, you really can't blame them for it.

• Agree 2

Super Mario is so outrageous it makes Kingdom Hearts blush. Especially the first 5 main games:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (US) / Super Mario Bros USA (JP)  - Another SMB2
Super Mario Bros. 3 - The fourth Super Mario Bros. game
Super Mario World: Super Mario Bros 4. (JP) - Wait, is THIS the fourth SMB game?

Then there's the lunacy of the GBA titles, the fact that Super Mario Land 3 isn't a Mario game, the fact that NSMBU Deluxe is on Switch.  The entire 'New' moniker being used for 13+ years. It should also be illegal to clunkily name a game in the biggest franchise ever "Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury" but there it is on my collection list.