IGNORED

Which is the more egregious game series renumbering:

G-type

Renumbered  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Renumbered

• Super Mario Advance
    • Final Fantasy

The Mega Man number got me back in the day between releases on different consoles.

For example, I didn't bother with the Game Boy releases for being - mostly - remixes of the 1 through 5 on NES. Because they shared the same number scheme, by the time we got to 5 on GB, I expected more of the same and I wasn't going to buy a Game Boy back then to play games I thought I'd largely already played. So, to find out much later that 5 on GB had a unique story and characters was a surprise, especially when I'd seen the same thing happen on GG with Mega Man which was just a repackaged MM5 from NES.

Capcom did the same thing with artwork and naming conventions for PC Mega Man games, so the whole thing became quite the mess. Adding the 'World' secondary title to the GB releases as they did in Japan would have helped with differentiation, but it was weird that they went from remix games for the first 4 then decided to pivot with an original for 5 o_0?

21 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Definitely the Crazy Castle series.

Yeah, that was the one I was going to post. Changes numbering, platform, and IP constantly across three regions.

Japan: Roger Rabbit, Mickey Mouse 1-5, Soreyuke!! Kid (later changed to Bugs Bunny 3), Bugs Bunny 4, Woody Woodpecker

North America: Bugs Bunny CC, Bugs Bunny CC for GB, Bugs Bunny 2, Kid Klown, Real Ghostbusters, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny 3-4, Woody Woodpecker

Europe: Skips the first game, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse or Hugo (Danish cartoon), skips the fourth game, Garfield, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny 3-4, Woody Woodpecker

And there was a mobile Crazy Castle game.

The Wolfenstein series can be kind of confusing if you don't follow it:

• Castle Wolfenstein
  • Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot

It can be really confusing to find out that the 8th game on this list is called Wolfenstein II.  But it makes sense when you realize that all games starting with The New Order art part of the soft reboot.  The New Order is the first game in the soft reboot.  The Old Blood is the expansion to the first game.  The New Colossus is the sequel (hence the II in the name) and Youngblood is the expansion to the sequel.  Cyberpilot is a spin off VR game, but still part of the soft reboot universe.  Still, I think they should have left the "II" out of The New Colossus.  Also, I think that "Youngblood," the expansion to The New Colossus should have been called "The Young Blood" to go with the naming convention of the other games.  But whatever.

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

Final Doom is still just Doom 1 though 😛

Sure it has a new episode, but that's like dlc without the dl

Final Doom is more of an expansion of Doom II than Doom (same enemies, weapons, and wad format).  Unless of course you already consider Doom II to just be an expansion of Doom.  

32 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

What's Final Doom?

It's the "last" Doom game released (assuming you ignore everything that came after).  Sort of like R-Type Final.  You just have to ignore R-Type Final 2.

Also, it's the only version of Doom not available on PS4 for some stupid reason.  

Edited by TDIRunner

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The Wolfenstein series can be kind of confusing if you don't follow it:

• Castle Wolfenstein
  • Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot

It can be really confusing to find out that the 8th game on this list is called Wolfenstein II.  But it makes sense when you realize that all games starting with The New Order art part of the soft reboot.  The New Order is the first game in the soft reboot.  The Old Blood is the expansion to the first game.  The New Colossus is the sequel (hence the II in the name) and Youngblood is the expansion to the sequel.  Cyberpilot is a spin off VR game, but still part of the soft reboot universe.  Still, I think they should have left the "II" out of The New Colossus.  Also, I think that "Youngblood," the expansion to The New Colossus should have been called "The Young Blood" to go with the naming convention of the other games.  But whatever.

I wouldn't really consider all of those to be a connected series. 

10 minutes ago, G-type said:

I wouldn't really consider all of those to be a connected series. 

Sort of, yes.  But as mentioned, The New Order is a soft reboot due to the fact that it ignores several aspects of the previous game while maintaining most characters and some story lines.  

And if you prefer to look at all of the games as a single series, that's totally fine, but in doing so, it makes the "II" in The New Order that much more confusing.  

Edited by TDIRunner

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

It's the "last" Doom game released (assuming you ignore everything that came after).  Sort of like R-Type Final.  You just have to ignore R-Type Final 2.  

Or the new deluxe version of R-Type 2 Final.  Which is called... R-Type Final 3 😅

image.png

11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

The Final Fantasy numbering is not an issue if people ignore the Japanese versions and just talk about the games in their region.

Oh we can make this worse because we just can.  Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2, and 3 also Adventure.  Oh wait, that's SaGa 1, 2, 3, and even worse Seiken Densetsu (and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in EU market which is the US name of that starter JRPG on SNES.)

Now there's a real hot mess from Square more than 4 & 6.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh we can make this worse because we just can.  Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2, and 3 also Adventure.  Oh wait, that's SaGa 1, 2, 3, and even worse Seiken Densetsu (and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in EU market which is the US name of that starter JRPG on SNES.)

Now there's a real hot mess from Square more than 4 & 6.

I see no issue with FFL and FFA, at least they weren't mainline games and just a series being represented in a name we in the west were familiar with. 

You know, kinda like Mario 2!

• Haha 1