Which is the more egregious game series renumbering:

G-type

Renumbered  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Renumbered

• Super Mario Advance
    • Final Fantasy

9 hours ago, Renmauzo said:

The Mega Man number got me back in the day between releases on different consoles.

For example, I didn't bother with the Game Boy releases for being - mostly - remixes of the 1 through 5 on NES. Because they shared the same number scheme, by the time we got to 5 on GB, I expected more of the same and I wasn't going to buy a Game Boy back then to play games I thought I'd largely already played. So, to find out much later that 5 on GB had a unique story and characters was a surprise, especially when I'd seen the same thing happen on GG with Mega Man which was just a repackaged MM5 from NES.

Capcom did the same thing with artwork and naming conventions for PC Mega Man games, so the whole thing became quite the mess. Adding the 'World' secondary title to the GB releases as they did in Japan would have helped with differentiation, but it was weird that they went from remix games for the first 4 then decided to pivot with an original for 5 o_0?

The Game Boy games had Roman numerals and the NES games used Arabic numbers (on the box, yet not the title screen for some reason; regardless, I always differentiated them that way.)

I just got the Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection in the mail yesterday and it reminded me that the Wonder Boy series has some pretty confusing naming.  And of course, the names vary between different countries and systems.  

• Wonder Boy (Arcade and many ports)
    • Super Wonder Boy (Japan Mark III)
    • Revenge of Drancon (US Game Gear)
  • Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade and man ports)
    • Super Wonder Boy: Monster World (Japan Mark III)
    • Super Wonder Boy: Super Monster Land (US Master System) 
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Arcade and ports)
    • Monster Lair (US TG16)
  • Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System)
    • Adventure Island (Japan PC Engine)
    • Dragon's Curse (US TG16)
    • Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (EU Game Gear)
    • Monster World II (Japan Game Gear)
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis and Master System)
    • Wonder Boy V: Monster World III (Japan)
    • The Dynastic Hero (US TG16)
  • Monster World IV (Sega Mega Drive)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PS4, Xbox One, Switch)

Monster Boy V: Monster World III is my personal favorite name.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on Monster World IV

The game title is slightly confusing: It is the sixth game in the Wonder Boy series and the fourth game in the Monster World subseries (the other three being Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap/Curse and Wonder Boy in Monster World/Wonder Boy V: Monster World III).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1