IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 1

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Are you ready? GO FOR BROKE!

Ladies and gentlemen, here we are for our ROUND 1 of the 2022 VGS NES WEEKLY CONTEST TOURNAMENT!

A whole year went by and 8 brave warriors stood above all others and earned the glory to play on the tournament that will decide the ULTIMATE CHAMPION of 2022!

They are:

For this week, our worthy players will compete in the Beat'em up and the Sports genres!
The games and rules are as follow:

• Beat 'em Up - Batman Returns
    •  Make it to stage 5-1 in one life, pause and take your picture.
    • You can loop at 2-2, as long as you don't pick the heart refil in the loop area.
    • If you pick the heart refil, your run is invalid. You must restart the game and do another run.
    • Highest score wins
    • If you can't make to 5-1 in one life, your score will be zero
  • Sports - Pro Wrestling
    • Pick any wrestler of your preference
    • Win the first 4 matches and take the picture of the time you took in each match
    • Lowest sum of times win
    • You must win all 4 matches (total and wins must be 4. You can't lose a single match or your time will be 9:59:59)

Points will be awarded for each game in the following fashion:

• 1st place - 5 points
  • 2nd place - 4 points
  • 3rd place - 2 points
  • 4th place - 1 point
  • 5th and onward - No points

May the most skilled video gamer wins!

Round 1 ends Sunday, 11/20/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

First Round Results :

Batman Returns :

1st   Dr. Morbis            120,250 = 5 points
2nd  the_wizard_666   87,100 = 4 points
3rd  PII                          84,110 = 2 points
4th  NESFiend              84,080 = 1 point

5th mbd39                   83,420 = no point

Pro Wrestling :

1st  Dr. Morbis             1:32 = 5 points
2nd the_wiz_666         3:26 = 4 points
3rd NESFiend              3:44 = 2 points
4th Krunch                   5:24 = 1 point
5th mbd39                   11:45 = no point

Tournament Standing :

1st   Dr. Morbis          = 10 points
2nd the_wiz_666       = 8 points
3rd NESFiend            = 3 points
4th PII                         = 2 points
5th Krunch                 = 1 point
6th mbd39                 = no point
6th docile tapeworm
= no point
6th JamesRobot        = no point

@BeaIank The initial post says "Batman" and not "Batman Returns."  I know we all know what we're supposed to play, but I figure it'd be worth correcting for the day this thread becomes reference material 😛

BATMAN RETURNS: 87,100

20221120_143815.thumb.jpg.76079a60886e052ff2a7d521c1f3e751.jpg

Took so much f'n practice to get past the Organ Grinder, but I made it to 5-1 finally.  Now to focus on Pro Wrestling...

PRO WRESTLING: 3:26

20221120_180000.thumb.jpg.2cb12f0b282f7310197750164c28ac4d.jpg

20221120_180040.thumb.jpg.b5fdf5c0d33c266e4792527337e20f39.jpg

20221120_180210.thumb.jpg.512197d809e2a7e5e38ed852cd59ac87.jpg

20221120_180320.thumb.jpg.83ec52085243131fa8261f40c9948d29.jpg

Well, since I've done better on Giant Panther and Amazon, I should be able to trim this down even further.  Just a matter of stringing four good matches together.  Still, anything under 4 minutes to me is pretty solid.

EDIT: Although my time increased against Fighter Hayabusa, I think I made up for it through the other fights.  This may or may not be my last run, but I think this is a good bar to set...

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@BeaIank The initial post says "Batman" and not "Batman Returns."  I know we all know what we're supposed to play, but I figure it'd be worth correcting for the day this thread becomes reference material 😛

Also, reserved for scores.

Fixed it. Thanks

Is there a consequence of falling through the floor, or is it simply a way to point press?  Also, is it possible to unintentionally fall?  If it is, I'd say a limit to the number of times would be acceptable, as having a run end due to an accident is not ideal, but point pressing should not be encouraged.

Anyway, I hit a wall that maybe @NESfiend could help with?  I can't figure out how to climb floors.  Been trying everything I can think of on the 2-2 fire escape but can't seem to figure out what to do.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Anyway, I hit a wall that maybe @NESfiend could help with?  I can't figure out how to climb floors.  Been trying everything I can think of on the 2-2 fire escape but can't seem to figure out what to do.

Press select to change your weapon. Get to the batwire thing. Press up and b at the same time to shoot up toward the black space above elevators and it will propel you up

Edit: and yes, its definitely possible to fall in the holes unintentionally. I do it frequently. 

Edited by NESfiend

10 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well, I fell through the floor twice to test how things would go, and @NESfiend already has a better score.

I wonder how many damn times the winner of this contest is going to have to do that little loop to seal his victory... sigh....  😢

Glad someone besides me is fighting against the 'hold scores til sunday' tournament culture here. Im on the board. Morbis is on the board. Lets see some others!

26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Glad someone besides me is fighting against the 'hold scores til sunday' tournament culture here. Im on the board. Morbis is on the board. Lets see some others!

The thing about posting your score before Sunday is that it really doesn’t matter. If you post before Sunday its not your real score (as your either holding or working on a better score) and if it is your best score……well it still doesn’t matter 😂

28 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

The thing about posting your score before Sunday is that it really doesn’t matter. If you post before Sunday its not your real score (as your either holding or working on a better score) and if it is your best score……well it still doesn’t matter 😂

That's what I've always said. A winning score posted on Day 1 is still gonna be a winning score. Just because everyone knows what to shoot for doesn't make them able to beat it.

59 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's what I've always said. A winning score posted on Day 1 is still gonna be a winning score. Just because everyone knows what to shoot for doesn't make them able to beat it.

It was a winning score but since you posted it Monday….well now it’s not a winning score on Sunday.

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

It was a winning score but since you posted it Monday….well now it’s not a winning score on Sunday.

I think it was 2015 when I put up a random Sunday score right after the Wizards & Warriors contest was posted during halftime of the afternoon football game and somehow won even though I didn't play again the entire week. That was the biggest fluke win ever since I don't even like that game and just wanted to get a participation score in.

• Haha 1