IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 1

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

This has probably been answered but I don't wanna dig through the thread - for Pro Wrestling, is it our best times on each wrestler or is it the best cumulative time @BeaIank?  I'm sure it's the latter, but I wanna make sure before I delete pics 😛

Best cumulative time. You have to do the 4 fights in a row.

39 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Why are you trying to loop 2-2 when you haven't reached 5-1 yet? Reaching 5-1 is mandatory. Use the boxes.

I'm not trying to cause not enough health to even beat it.  Although I did actually fall thru accidentally once or twice.  I found some health that I missed on level 3, but it still hasnt been enough to keep me alive...

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Best cumulative time. You have to do the 4 fights in a row.

That's what I thought, but figured I'd check.  3 of the 4 matches were best times anyway, so I just swapped them.  The difference was only a few seconds on the final match, so I wasn't worried. I'm rather enjoying it, so kudos on a great pick!  Batman Returns was a tough one, or I wouldn't be running last-minute matches to get a good score now 😛 

2 minutes ago, Krunch said:

I'm not trying to cause not enough health to even beat it.  Although I did actually fall thru accidentally once or twice.  I found some health that I missed on level 3, but it still hasnt been enough to keep me alive...

Did you notice that the last cat head on 2-2 sometimes doesn't drop the health, but actually drops a test tube looking thing?  If you luck out and get that, it knocks half of Catwoman's health off at the start of the fight.  It's random though, but I think it may be worth an extra trip down to get it.  I also realize that, while you can definitely spend time grinding points there, you're better off not bothering, as there's only a couple enemies and it could take ages to really make a difference.  Not worth the effort IMO, but yeah, a run or two to secure the test tube is HIGHLY recommended.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That's what I thought, but figured I'd check.  3 of the 4 matches were best times anyway, so I just swapped them.  The difference was only a few seconds on the final match, so I wasn't worried. I'm rather enjoying it, so kudos on a great pick!  Batman Returns was a tough one, or I wouldn't be running last-minute matches to get a good score now

I absolutely thought it would be a good pick for the finals if we did just a bunch of matches rather than going for the title. It is a great game and 4 matches can be done rather quickly to improve your times.
Same with Batman. Keeping it sweet, nice and short was the mentality I went for when picking the games for the 3 rounds.

• Like 1

Just now, BeaIank said:

I absolutely thought it would be a good pick for the finals if we did just a bunch of matches rather than going for the title. It is a great game and 4 matches can be done rather quickly to improve your times.
Same with Batman. Keeping it sweet, nice and short was the mentality I went for when picking the games for the 3 rounds.

Batman was a lot tougher to get a good score though.  Beating the Organ Grinder was a pain that took me all week to finally knock off.  At least Pro Wrestling is pretty easy, I'm pretty sure I can at least get top 5 on that one.  But yeah, the rest of the competition, while all great choices, are gonna be tough for me to even post a score in.  But this is what I meant by saving the hardcore stuff until the final...anyone can coast into the tournament round, but only the best of the best will get a ton of points in it.  No death run of Life Force? Yeah, not happening for this old bastard 😛

26 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

This has probably been answered but I don't wanna dig through the thread - for Pro Wrestling, is it our best times on each wrestler or is it the best cumulative time @BeaIank?  I'm sure it's the latter, but I wanna make sure before I delete pics 😛

It's best cumulative time of all four matches on a single run.

EDIT - didn't realize there was a fifth page that already had an answer for ya...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Going for the undisputed title is fun and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the game. There's a special wrestler that you face in the final title unification match and he's a real challenge to defeat via pinfall.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Going for the title is fun and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the game. There's a special wrestler at the end of the game and he's a real challenge to defeat via pinfall.

While that is a lot of fun, that also takes a lot of time. A lot of time is something at premium these days.

Just now, BeaIank said:

While that is a lot of fun, that also takes a lot of time. A lot of time is something at premium these days.

It would definitely have been too long for this given that you have to face each wrestler three times before you get to the title unification match. It's a fun experience for anyone that enjoys the game and wants to give it a try after the tournament is over.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I hope you have a better score than this to reveal because I spent a lot of time perfecting my fighting pattern on those two fire breathers in the loop and didn't move on for ages...

I have been exhausted lately.  I put a moderate effort this week into Batman and haven't had any more oomph or patience to even bother with Pro Wrestling beyond a brief screwing around to see if it might be easy to cheese..

Not sure why it would be, but I do not recall any fire breathing...   ?

2 minutes ago, PII said:

I have been exhausted lately.  I put a moderate effort this week into Batman and haven't had any more oomph or patience to even bother with Pro Wrestling beyond a brief screwing around to see if it might be easy to cheese..

Not sure why it would be, but I do not recall any fire breathing...   ?

Damn, after seeing you going so hard all season, I thought I was going up against your very best, so I put a ton of hours into practicing Batman Returns...

EDIT - and the fire breathers are the two guys with like pitchforks or something that shoot fireballs at you whenever they're on the edge of the screen.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

20 minutes ago, PII said:

That always stings a little bit when that happens, huh?  Still some time for you to get a run or two in though if you're planning on a hardcore 3 weeks...

Im not. Being out of town a good portion of week 2 and 3, I was just hopikg to get respectable scores week 1. Batman returns was a fun challenge and it really is a great game in my opinion. But Ive done as many runs as I have in me

19 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Damn, after seeing you going so hard all season, I thought I was going up against your very best, so I put a ton of hours into practicing Batman Returns...

Nah, not this time.  I had maybe one quarter of the energy I would have needed this week to pull off a win on batman + some kind of ranking on a sports game like pro wrestling.  I may have an aftershock or three in me somewhere along the line here in the next two weeks, but don't count on it.  I would say you are def the front runner for the tournament although it looks like MBD might be lookin' to give you a run for your money...  (Edit: I thought he had a time of 2:15 on pro wrestling, whoops.)

EDIT - and the fire breathers are the two guys with like pitchforks or something that shoot fireballs at you whenever they're on the edge of the screen.

Oh, right; of course -those little pew pew pellets they shoot.  I was imagining something like Dhalsim's big fire blow and thinking, what is he talking about?

Edited by PII

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Im not. Being out of town a good portion of week 2 and 3, I was just hopikg to get respectable scores week 1. Batman returns was a fun challenge and it really is a great game in my opinion. But Ive done as many runs as I have in me

It's a pretty cool game and I had fun with it in spite of a bit of frustration from time to time.  It's really easy to "get ahead of the program" with this game, like I'll be trying to turn and punch/jump real quick and get nothing from the controller input because I'm trying to do it too fast.  Even once I got the rhythm down it still happened from time to time and would be really frustrating.  That and poor hit detection at times are it's downfalls, but its not horrendous or anything, just takes some practice.  Makes me wonder how Batman Returns on SNES is.  I've had it for some time now but haven't given it a serious go yet beyond a single rudimentary test run a few years ago...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PII said:

Makes me wonder how Batman Returns on SNES is.  I've had it for some time now but haven't given it a serious go yet beyond a single rudimentary test run a few years ago...

Same boat here with the snes version. I think its generally regarded as the much better of the two, so it may be one of those gems on the shelf waiting to be discovered 

27 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Batman returns was a fun challenge and it really is a great game in my opinion.

Yeah, it's a great game, solid music and graphics and whatnot; its only real downfall is the cumbersome play control.  They tried to do way too much with the limited inputs on an NES controller, and as a result you wind up doing stuff you didn't mean to do far too often.  If they could have fixed up the play control a little bit, this would have been an A-grade game...

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it's a great game, solid music and graphics and whatnot; its only real downfall is the cumbersome play control.  They tried to do way too much with the limited inputs on an NES controller, and as a result you wind up doing stuff you didn't mean to do far too often.  If they could have fixed up the play control a little bit, this would have been an A-grade game...

I keep comparing it to the TMNT games and how those play soooooo much better.

• Agree 1