IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 1

BeaIank

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you like King of the Hill? I used to watch it, but it seemed like a cartoon sitcom and I just couldn't get into it.

I like King of the Hill and used to watch it all the time. At least it's different from most animated sitcoms where the humor is wackier and the dad character is usually a complete idiot. King of the Hill's humor is a lot more observational/relatable and character driven.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I like King of the Hill and used to watch it all the time. At least it's different from most animated sitcoms where the humor is wackier and the dad character is usually a complete idiot. King of the Hill's humor is a lot more observational/relatable and character driven.

It was different, but I just didn't care for it compared to The Simpsons or Family Guy. I guess I just associate animated sitcoms with over the top humor and it just fell flat for me.

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's what I've always said. A winning score posted on Day 1 is still gonna be a winning score. Just because everyone knows what to shoot for doesn't make them able to beat it.

Normally I'd agree with you for skill based stuff, but in this particular instance, there is a large heart to refill your health that always reappears and only a couple of enemies in the "fall through the floor" loop, so it is literally a matter of who's going to spend the most of his free time doing that loop over and over and over.  It's not even a matter of risk vs reward since your health doesn't slowly dwindle the more you do the loop.  So even if you posted like a 200k score a week ahead of time, whoever wanted to win would just do the loop until he hit 201k.

Man, I've always hated point scumming...

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Normally I'd agree with you for skill based stuff, but in this particular instance, there is a large heart to refill your health that always reappears and only a couple of enemies in the "fall through the floor" loop, so it is literally a matter of who's going to spend the most of his free time doing that loop over and over and over.  It's not even a matter of risk vs reward since your health doesn't slowly dwindle the more you do the loop.  So even if you posted like a 200k score a week ahead of time, whoever wanted to win would just do the loop until he hit 201k.

If you can exploit a loop infinitely, it should be forbidden in a high score contest.

@BeaIank, what's your thought on this? If there was a timer it would be okay, but looping forever a part of a stage should be frown upon, especially if you can replenish health in the process.

If anyone playing in the tournament want to weigh in, please do so.

33 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

If you can exploit a loop infinitely, it should be forbidden in a high score contest.

@BeaIank, what's your thought on this? If there was a timer it would be okay, but looping forever a part of a stage should be frown upon, especially if you can replenish health in the process.

I tend to agree and was surprised hole dropping was alllowed. It is harder to master getting up and down without losing health as morbis makes it out though. The guys that shoot guns on each side of the screen are annoying. But with some practice, I was gaining a little life looping it. Could have done it many times. 

THAT said, its thurs at 10:15 pm and Im just starting on pro wrestling. And its kicking my ass. I think its way too late to change rules in a two game week

Edited by NESfiend

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I tend to agree and was surprised hole dropping was alllowed. It is harder to master getting up and down without losing health as morbis makes it out though. The guys that shoot guns on each side of the screen are annoying. But with some practice, I was gaining a little life looping it. Could have done it many times. 

THAT said, its thurs at 10:15 pm and Im just starting on pro wrestling. And its kicking my ass. I think its way too late to change rules in a two game week

Trust me, once you've done it a few times you'll be gaining life every time on the drop down to make up for any health you may have lost on the electric floor portion of the loop.  Plus you get an automatic partial life refill every 10k points on top of that, making it even easier.

But anyway, my vote is for no drop downs allowed, but I'm fine with the rules either way since it's late in the week.  But whoever wins will clearly be the one who spends the most time doing the loop.  Like if someone wants to spend hours and hit a million points, nothing is really stopping him.  Just saying.... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Events Team · Posted

@guillavoie:

We can keep allowing it but making it not allowed to pick the energy refil. Then it will be a matter of real skill rather than just repeating the loop.
I think it is a good solution since it allows for accidental drops to happen.

Of course, it depends on the honour system, but that would be the same case for barring the drops since they can happen accidentally.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, that is a good point. Those infinite scoring loops are trouble.

8 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Here are the rules from the 2015 contest. You had to start over if you looped any part of the game back then.

This week's game is going to be Batman Returns.  Here are the rules:

• Play until Game Over
  • No point racking allowed
  • On the second floor of the department store, if you fall through the floor back to the first floor, your attempt will end there.
  • In the stage where you have to rescue the Ice Princess, You must enter the first, the second, and the third window in order to find her.  You must enter those windows to progress the stage, and can't pass them by or your run end there.
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Beat ‘Em Up