IGNORED

VGS Bingo 2022 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted
12 hours ago, Avgn Gamer said:

Would Capcom Mega Man 6 count for "Belongs in a Museum?"

I'm unfamiliar, can you enlighten me on what that is? If it's a variant that was never released to the public, then yes it would count, but like I said I'm unfamiliar so I wouldn't know!

12 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Mega Tank's Bingo Card

Casual Art

@docile tapeworm

eIZBeHC.png

unknown.png

7A727A5D-AE81-4DED-9645-13377ECA1A0B.thu

This still counts obviously, but be sure to post future submissions to the Submissions Thread! The submissions have their own thread just so general discussion and questions about the event aren't drowned out by all the submissions people have.

8 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

This isn't the submission thread you donuts

Chef Ramsay, is that you?

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I don't really understand the rules for It Belongs in a Museum and what exactly would fit in there. For example, there are not for resale games, that actually saw physical releases. I guess demo or rental versions, that are not for resale are also not eligible?

And as for How Charming, it has to be a new charm, that we claim within this week, right? Because it says "Not retroactive". Sorry for the confusion.

So, for It Belongs in a Museum, any item that was not meant to be released or given out to the public in any way counts. So, for Not For Resales, obviously the Sonic the Hedgehog not for resales wouldn't count for that, since they were meant for public release, as they were pack-in games for the Genesis. However, not for resale games that were only used for kiosks (such as the Minish Cap NFR @Jicsan submitted) do count, since they were never meant to get in to the hands of the public, they were just meant to be used in kiosks, and then thrown out afterwards. And like you said, demo or rental NFRs also wouldn't count since they were meant to be used by general consumers. Worst case scenario, if you have an item that you're unsure of whether or not it qualifies for that challenge, feel free to ask in here and I can give you an answer!

For How Charming, yes, it has to be a new charm that you've claimed after the event began, otherwise it would essentially just be a free space.

43 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

And like you said, demo or rental NFRs also wouldn't count since they were meant to be used by general consumers. Worst case scenario, if you have an item that you're unsure of whether or not it qualifies for that challenge, feel free to ask in here and I can give you an answer!

Can you clarify regarding "demo" NFRs?  The one I'm most familiar with was used in demo kiosks, but not distributed to players as a demo, and even specifically says "NOT FOR RESALE, DEMO GPK ONLY, PROPERTY OF NINTENDO."  Shouldn't such a cart qualify, since they weren't meant to ever be given or distributed to the public?

Another question:  For "Clean As A Whistle," what's the limitation on the definition of "console?"  I ask, as the description talks about showing cleaning of a game, console, or controller, but I have a really grungy Apple IIgs that I was thinking of using for this, as it would present a far more interesting example than any of the other items I have in the house that would definitively fall under one of those three categories.  The system has only ever been used to play games and is easily console "adjacent," but I figured I'd ask before going through with the cleanup and posting it to prevent any misunderstanding or having to do double duty.

@ZeldaFreakPurple border mm6 is this weird oddity that shouldn't exist but does for some reason. Iirc it was discovered back in 2015 and there's no concrete info about its release. Not at home rn to do a time stamp or whatever but here's a photo of my lil fucker.

20220303_214326.jpg

Edited by Avgn Gamer
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

1: Can you clarify regarding "demo" NFRs?  The one I'm most familiar with was used in demo kiosks, but not distributed to players as a demo, and even specifically says "NOT FOR RESALE, DEMO GPK ONLY, PROPERTY OF NINTENDO."  Shouldn't such a cart qualify, since they weren't meant to ever be given or distributed to the public?

2: Another question:  For "Clean As A Whistle," what's the limitation on the definition of "console?"  I ask, as the description talks about showing cleaning of a game, console, or controller, but I have a really grungy Apple IIgs that I was thinking of using for this, as it would present a far more interesting example than any of the other items I have in the house that would definitively fall under one of those three categories.  The system has only ever been used to play games and is easily console "adjacent," but I figured I'd ask before going through with the cleanup and posting it to prevent any misunderstanding or having to do double duty.

1: Oh yeah, something like that would qualify in that case, the point I was trying to make is just that it must not have been released to the public in any capacity for it to count for that challenge.

2: Yeah, I would count that, so long as it has games on it of some variety then I would consider that as a "console," technically.

1 hour ago, Avgn Gamer said:

@ZeldaFreakPurple border mm6 is this weird oddity that shouldn't exist but does for some reason. Iirc it was discovered back in 2015 and there's no concrete info about its release. Not at home rn to do a time stamp or whatever but here's a photo of my lil fucker.

20220303_214326.jpg

So, from what I've researched, it looks like the story behind this variant is that it was originally going to be released in the US, but later on it was instead released in Brazil in extremely limited quantities. If that is the case, then that would technically still count as being released, even if in limited quantities, so this wouldn't qualify for It Belongs in a Museum. This is just what I've gathered though from looking in to it, if I got any of that wrong to your knowledge then let me know!

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

1: Oh yeah, something like that would qualify in that case, the point I was trying to make is just that it must not have been released to the public in any capacity for it to count for that challenge.

2: Yeah, I would count that, so long as it has games on it of some variety then I would consider that as a "console," technically.

So, from what I've researched, it looks like the story behind this variant is that it was originally going to be released in the US, but later on it was instead released in Brazil in extremely limited quantities. If that is the case, then that would technically still count as being released, even if in limited quantities, so this wouldn't qualify for It Belongs in a Museum. This is just what I've gathered though from looking in to it, if I got any of that wrong to your knowledge then let me know!

Seems fair to me yo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Although I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment here, it does allow me to segue into a related topic.  Would things like the NTSC Camerica Aladdin, its games, or even the infamous Cheetahmen II count in this regard?  While they were originally designed and intended for regular, retail sale to average folks in the US (and likely across the world), that didn't happen for one reason or another, and as such these things weren't officially released to the public.  Instead, they were discovered years later by folks unrelated to their production who recognized them for what they were and made sure to capitalize as quickly as possible on releasing them into the wild via their own channels.

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Although I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment here, it does allow me to segue into a related topic.  Would things like the NTSC Camerica Aladdin, its games, or even the infamous Cheetahmen II count in this regard?  While they were originally designed and intended for regular, retail sale to average folks in the US (and likely across the world), that didn't happen for one reason or another, and as such these things weren't officially released to the public.  Instead, they were discovered years later by folks unrelated to their production who recognized them for what they were and made sure to capitalize as quickly as possible on releasing them into the wild via their own channels.

If they were intended for release, but didn't actually end up getting released, then yes, those would indeed count for It Belongs in a Museum, since they weren't released by the company behind them, and instead they were sold off by the individuals who initially found them years later like you say.

34 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Looking at the layout of the card and the ones I can realistically do by the deadline, I can't even get 1 bingo lmao.  I might still submit some for fun.  Maybe I'll have the most filled-in board without a bingo

Doesn't hurt to try! And yeah, even if you can't get a bingo, it's still fun at the end of the day, and that's the main objective anyway.

• Agree 1

@ZeldaFreak Are Kiosk games okay for It Belongs in a Museum? Something like this, i.e. Nintendo DS kiosk demo games?

I have also opened up threads for the trade and game night challenge and wanted to give them a bit more exposure here, if it's okay. For trading I could also imagine trading steam keys if shipping across the Atlantic is too expensive:

And here is the game night thread. Or maybe we could organize something like a Mario Kart 8 tournament here or something?

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

@ZeldaFreak Are Kiosk games okay for It Belongs in a Museum? Something like this, i.e. Nintendo DS kiosk demo games?

I have also opened up threads for the trade and game night challenge and wanted to give them a bit more exposure here, if it's okay. For trading I could also imagine trading steam keys if shipping across the Atlantic is too expensive:

And here is the game night thread. Or maybe we could organize something like a Mario Kart 8 tournament here or something?

Yes, kiosk games like that (I usually refer to them as Not For Resales or NFRs, since they oftentimes have "Not For Resale" written on them) are actually one of the main things I was thinking of when I came up with that challenge!

For trading (even though this wasn't a question, just wanted to clarify) I would allow trading digital game keys like that, since as you say, shipping overseas could be expensive. And yeah, feel free to give threads like that a bit more exposure by posting here, this thread is for anything and everything related to the event, including those threads.

Events Team · Posted

Oh yeah, also @Gaia Gensouki, if you and a few others do manage to set up a Mario Kart 8 tournament, I'd be down to participate in that too just for fun, depending on what time it ends up taking place! I'll be keeping an eye on that. I will say if you want more people to see those threads, it might be a good idea to @ people who are participating in the event just to make sure you get their attention 😉

• Thanks 1

@DefaultGen@Jicsan@Aguy@darkchylde28@Splain@JamesRobot@nesmaster14@drxandy@RH@Gloves@spacepup@ZeldaFan042@TDIRunner

Since everyone of you participates or wants to participate in the VGS Bingo, I wanted to suggest a Mario Kart 8 tournament (Switch). Who of you would be interested and/or has time this weekend for some shell-throwing and racing shenanigans?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

ince everyone of you participates or wants to participate in the VGS Bingo, I wanted to suggest a Mario Kart 8 tournament (Switch). Who of you would be interested and/or has time this weekend for some shell-throwing and racing shenanigans?

I’d really like to do this but I’m working all weekend. I can take my Switch and see when it is you guys are playing. But unless it’s after 10pm Central on Saturday or after 9pm on Sunday I won’t be able to devote much attention to it. 

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

@DefaultGen@Jicsan@Aguy@darkchylde28@Splain@JamesRobot@nesmaster14@drxandy@RH@Gloves@spacepup@ZeldaFan042@TDIRunner

Since everyone of you participates or wants to participate in the VGS Bingo, I wanted to suggest a Mario Kart 8 tournament (Switch). Who of you would be interested and/or has time this weekend for some shell-throwing and racing shenanigans?

Mind if I join you? Been a while since I last played Mario Kart online. Friend Code in profile if you're interested.

3 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Appreciate the thought, but somebody would need to buy me a Switch online pass in order to participate, as I just have zero ues for one and would never buy one myself.  If Mario Kart is the game of choice, I'd totally be down with some MK7 on the 3DS if anyone were up for it, as I've got everything for that sitting on a shelf and there's no payment required for online play (last I checked, anyway).

4 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

If it's later in the evening on Sunday, I might be able to join, but I'm not even sure what time I'll be free.  

7 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I'd be interested tomorrow afternoon/evening

10 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Yeah tomorrow I could pop in and play a few rounds!