IGNORED

Game Debate #104: DuckTales

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

7 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

I agree with a lot here. There is a lot of variety in the level design, for sure.

However, there are certain things I don't like. The character and enemy sprites are too big, making it a slog. It feels way too deliberate and finicky at the same time. It's hard to explain, but I think other reviewers have done a far better job than me in critiquing it.

I'm also not a fan of Joe & Mac, or Toki.

Okay, so ya, it has a very specific style that isn't for everyone. My favorite nes games are precision action platformers like Dragon Fighter or Shadow of the Ninja or Darkwing Duck so this is a continuation of that genre for me.

The level design is really top of the line and built perfectly for the character. I think I can get to the fifth level without dying.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Count said:

I love this game. Capcom on the NES really wasn't fucking around. I love the secret items and the music and such. For a challenge, try the 0$ ending. 9/10.

I forgot about that?!  Ok, I need to give that try one day.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RH said:

Lol, no.  But to be fair, I've never played that one.  Sounds like I should give it a try, though.

It feels exactly like Mega Man, which is not something I ever would have thought to say about Ducktales.

6 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

Same goes for Lion King. Poor gameplay and level design.

The Genesis/SNES Lion King are okay.

A lot of people say they're tough games, but I never really agreed with that. The Can't Wait and stampede sections just take memorization. The underground lava section (which I don't remember from the movie) has some tricky timing, but nothing impossible. The rest of the game is fairly easy, and a touch boring.

The NES Lion King is horrendous.

Edited by Tulpa

Just now, Tulpa said:

The Genesis/SNES Lion King are okay.

A lot of people say they're tough games, but I never really agreed wit that. The Can't Wait and stampede sections just take memorization. The underground lava section (which I don't remember from the movie) has some tricky timing, but nothing impossible. The rest of the game is fairly easy.

The NES Lion King is horrendous.

I liked it for the GB.  Not really tough by other platforms of the system.  Certainly no where as tough as Star Wars.  I loved that game but, man, it kicked my tale.  I played that one a TON and I'm not sure I ever beat it.  I did beat Lion King and I probably played it half as much.

I enjoyed it and the music was cool too.

Wow some strange side stuff going on here outside Duck Tales.

Aladdin I've got both, but disney animation work aside, the Genesis game is inferior with stage design, otherwise presentation and just overall fun...Capcom is just a better designer than Virgin with games.

Mickey Mania was fairly bad, both versions, just the SNES one is worse with the unforgivable removed parts and the lame load screens which screams halfass port.

LionKing didn't matter on the platform, not well made stages, questionable at times hit boxes, boring as hell platforming, and some pretty aggravating to say the least mechanics in places not excluding the bosses ...I pity any child who ended up with that as a gift.

And Darkwing Duck that one is fun, in some ways, at least challenge wise and somewhat stage too is better than Duck Tales, it's like Mega Man but not cheap/nasty level of difficulty, just more fun, but not a Duck Tales push over compared either as it found a nice balance.

Great cartoony pick up and play platformer, for kids or anyone who likes a chill vibe.  Pogo mechanics are fun and soundtrack is outstanding.  Played it again this year and likely will again in the future.

Ducktales 2 is potentially even better with tighter controls and more depth with the shop and map pieces, but lacking the iconic soundtrack.

• Agree 1

7. Other people have covered everything.

Bought DuckTales Remastered on PS3 but i had a freeze glitch that pretty much undid an entire level’s worth of progress and the game kept periodically eating Pogo inputs for no reason so I dropped it. Kind of want to give it a try on another console but did  some googling when that happened and didn’t see much to indicate the PS3 version was regarded as especially incompetent so I’m a little wary over whether the issues i had were just for the PS3 version specifically.

I'm at a 6/10 in this one. By no means a bad game just not one I find myself coming back to over the years. I like a lot of things about the game and I can't really put my finger on why I feel like it falls short. Maybe it's the lack of levels out challenge. Or maybe it's bc I posted Darkwing  Duck first and ended up preferring it over DuckTales.

I can see the appeal but for me it fell short of greatness. 

10. Definitely one of my favorites of all time and earns a spot in my NES top 10 (there's a lot of competition!). I love pretty much everything about this game and I've beaten it more times than I can count. The pogo mechanic feels really nice to control and defeating enemies is really satisfying. Being a huge fan of the show all the references are icing on a quite delicious cake.

• Like 1

9/10 One of the all time great NES games IMO.  I loved the cane and pogo mechanics and finding all the cool secrets.  As a kid the challenge was just right, not to hard, but still challenging enough to be satisfying.

My favorite trick is telling the statue in the first level no and then leading an enemy into the room and using them pogo up to the vine.  I'm sure everyone else knows this one, but it's one I figured out as a kid on my own and I guess I'm still kind of proud of that.  It felt good cheating the statue like Uncle Scrooge would have.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

It's basically the exact same game on both platforms. It might run a tad better on Genesis. I do enjoy it for the visuals, audio and neat presentation. The alignment with classic Mickey shorts is also really cool. Going from black&white to colors in the first level is a blast the first time you experience it.

But gameplay-wise it has a lot of problems. It's not an unpopular opinion. If you check all the reviews of it online, it's not a very liked game.

I can't really find any deep dive through the differences between the three major versions of the game, since people tend to stop at the superficial stuff like the visual effects and the loading times.

But the game really feels a lot different to play on MegaDrive compared to SNES, mostly thanks to some otherwise subtle differences in how the hitboxes work, etc. While I'd say the game sure has some issues either way, it's definitely one of the better examples of western platform games from that area, as long as you play it on Sega or PlayStation. The SNES version feels awful to play.

I'd love to try delving seriously into the differences between the versions some time, just to try and document it properly.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Californication said:

Having deja vu, feel like we've had this conversation before. 

I would take Darkwing Duck over any Mega Man nes game. The game looks great, level design is good, and the bosses battles are great. 

I've never heard Aladdin called forgettable. It has top of the line graphics, the magic carpet ride, and genies lamp levels are very memorable and as I said before if the game is to easy, collect the diamonds.

I am starting to think part of the problem is you are a really good player.

I still have a few of these (about three) up for grabs, on Famicom if anyone wants.... just DM me.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I still have a few of these (about three) up for grabs, on Famicom if anyone wants.... just DM me.

I've been thinking about that since January or so (I remember some of your for sale topics). Maybe I'll send you a message later.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Californication said:My favorite nes games are precision action platformers like Dragon Fighter or Shadow of the Ninja or Darkwing Duck so this is a continuation of that genre for me.

But ninja gayden, shatterhand and vice project doom > shadow of the ninja.

platformer is my second favorite genre. I don’t own duck tales or darkwing duck. I sold them both when I trimmed out my collection. I just didn’t care for them.