IGNORED

Game Debate #104: DuckTales

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

• The title was changed to Game Debate #104: DuckTales

My "hot take" is that almost all of Capcom's Disney licensed games (going up to and including Goof Troop and all 3 Magical Quest games) feel like a real wasted potential.

They are all well made video games with great controls and fun gimmicks, but they are also very clearly designed to be pumped out as quickly as possible. It's basically the result of talented game designers just going through the numbers for a paycheck. Little Mermaid is probably the worst example, while Ducktales is clearly one of the better results.

The pogo mechanic is strong enough to have been copied by several games since, and sets the game apart a little, and the music and overall tone is fantastic.
Where the game falls behind is the overall lack of content. There are a couple of standout stages, but only five in total. The maze stage (Transylvania) is completely mitigated once you find the correct way through, which ironically skips like 95% of it. And for some reason you need to play it twice, taking the same route through.

I like the generally nonlinear design of some of the stages though, but it's regrettable that trying to explore them never yields anything of interest. There's one with a somewhat sizable underground section that serves no purpose at all.

A bigger game with (a lot) more stages, and more things to do in them, but retaining the same basic mechanics, could have been really great. Mega Man 3 came out at about the same time, and was reportedly rushed, and that game has 17 awesome stages plus two boss-only stages.
Ducktales 2 at least manages to improve on the formula slightly. It gives you something to spend your money on, rewards exploration a little better, and actually adds an additional new stage for the good ending, but it still falls short at just six stages, and the same overall lack of challenge as the first game, with both games being very easy to quickly run through on a first playthrough by anyone who's played a platform game before.

It's too bad. I'd have loved to play a Capcom Ducktales game with the same amount of effort put into it as they did with their Mega Man games!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

While I totally agree with everything Sumez said, there is a nostalgic soft spot for the game I just can't shake off.

The instant I turn it on, and that music plays, I'm hooked. The colorful visuals, catchy soundtrack and fun pogo mechanic make it a blast. It's a game I can turn on and just blast through, anytime. I wish it was deeper, and had better hit detection. But it doesn't detract much from the overall enjoyment.

I think DuckTales 2 is the better game, but the lack of a memorable soundtrack makes me play it less often.

• Like 5

I like it and the 360 version more so. It's on the easier side, but that is a welcome change if you get burned out from more difficult games.

In response to Sumiez - Mickey Mania, Magical Quest 1, and Darkwing Duck (nes) are each nearly perfect imo. Maui Mallard maybe a 9. Aladdin (snes/genesis) and Lion King are above average, maybe 8's. Gargoyles (sega) 7.

And then there is a bunch of lower to middle tier stuff. I don't know the nes lineup as well, but this is a pretty good track record imo. I agree a little more difficulty is always welcome, but there is a good spread in difficult if you look across the games.

Darkwing Duck, Lion King, and Mickey Mania are going to make you work. And Aladdin and Maui Mallard have collectibles and end of level totals for people that want a challenge.

Edited by Californication

@Californication of the ones you mentioned, only Darkwing Duck, Magical Quest, and snes Aladdin are Capcom games. Other Disney licensed games tend to be a lot more substantial (but a lot of them also come with a bunch of other potential issues).

And those three are all good games, but they also all suffer from exactly the issues I mention, with Aladdin probably being the most forgettable one. Darkwing Duck is the only one that tries to put up a challenge, but it still kinda feels like "b-sides" from a Mega Man game. Calling it "near perfect" is a massive overstatement 😛

Maui Mallard (not Capcom) is straight up a bad game imo, even if it's a very good looking one 😉

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

Am I the only one who is really surprised they bothered with sequels for both the Ducktales and Rescue Rangers games?  They came out in June 1993 and January 1994 respectively, not only in the NES' twilight but both shows (I think?) were three years old and I don't think hardly any station showed them in reruns anymore by this point?

It's an excellent game, but at the same time it wasn't either ground breaking or some kind of seismic release either, just one of a short list (very) of licensed titles that were crap...which even Capcom was guilty of with Noid. 😛

Duck Tales though has great stage design, tight controls, nice hidden out of the way spaces, and felt like you were kind of playing another set of episodes or movies almost with all the nods to this or that.  One of their easier games, but enough to keep people happy on various levels of skill which is great.  If it's easier for you, it's a hell of a fun repeated ride as it's fairly short almost like a digital chill pill, but if you're not good at it, it's not grating and cruel either.

• Like 1

I had to give this one a 10, but I am familiar with the GB game which from observations appears to be an amazingly accurate port from the NES version to the GB.

I loved this game as a kid.  It was one of few that I found difficult but played and played and played until I beat and got the best ending.  I've often joked that it's the best Mega-Man game since, supposedly it was built on a Mega-Man engine.  I'm fine with that, even if it's unlike mega man where you can acquire new skills.

I recently replayed and beat this game with easy for the Beat Every GB Game challenge this year. In fact, I was quite shocked how easy it was, considering the struggles I often had as a kid.  I think I blame always being afraid to lose lives and I use to be super-cautious with jumps.  There are some serious jumps in this game (well, maybe not as bad as some).  There are a lot of easy platforms and then you get to some where you need to make three semi-perfect jumps.  That messed me up as a kid.  Now, I throw caution to the wind and it helps, and it made the game easier for me.   

Regardless, it was still awesome fun and I could see it being an annual contribution to the GB Event, and I might try the NES version for that event if someone else doesn't beat me to it.  I've never beaten that one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

@Californication of the ones you mentioned, only Darkwing Duck, Magical Quest, and snes Aladdin are Capcom games. Other Disney licensed games tend to be a lot more substantial (but a lot of them also come with a bunch of other potential issues).

And those three are all good games, but they also all suffer from exactly the issues I mention, with Aladdin probably being the most forgettable one. Darkwing Duck is the only one that tries to put up a challenge, but it still kinda feels like "b-sides" from a Mega Man game. Calling it "near perfect" is a massive overstatement 😛

Maui Mallard (not Capcom) is straight up a bad game imo, even if it's a very good looking one 😉

Having deja vu, feel like we've had this conversation before. 

I would take Darkwing Duck over any Mega Man nes game. The game looks great, level design is good, and the bosses battles are great. 

I've never heard Aladdin called forgettable. It has top of the line graphics, the magic carpet ride, and genies lamp levels are very memorable and as I said before if the game is to easy, collect the diamonds.

I am starting to think part of the problem is you are a really good player.

Edited by Californication

6/10

Things about this game are generally well done. It's a little on the short and shallow side though.

The pogo and golf club are neat and unique gimmicks. The aesthetics are good, the soundtrack is exceptional.  The level layouts are fun and there's enough decent enemies, platform elements, puzzles and exploration all around to keep things interesting. 

Edited by Optomon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Californication said:

Mickey Mania on the Sega not the Snes, you are calling that a bad game?

It's basically the exact same game on both platforms. It might run a tad better on Genesis. I do enjoy it for the visuals, audio and neat presentation. The alignment with classic Mickey shorts is also really cool. Going from black&white to colors in the first level is a blast the first time you experience it.

But gameplay-wise it has a lot of problems. It's not an unpopular opinion. If you check all the reviews of it online, it's not a very liked game.

I played it a lot when I was a kid, and didn't really enjoy it except for the fact that it looks gorgeous. Playing it today, it's a hard one to enjoy.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, however... That's a classic! 😄

Edited by ifightdragons

12 minutes ago, Optomon said:

6/10

Things about this game are generally well done. It's a little on the short and shallow side though.

The pogo and golf club are neat and unique gimmicks. The aesthetics are good, the soundtrack is exceptional.  The level layouts are fun and there's enough decent enemies, platform elements, puzzles and exploration all around to keep things interesting. 

Oh, how did I forgot to mention that!  This is my #1 favorite OST on the GB and my second favorite on the NES (right behind Batman).  That's another reason why it's a 10 in my book.  The tunes are real bangers.

18 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

It's basically the exact same game on both platforms. It might run a tad better on Genesis. I do enjoy it for the visuals, audio and neat presentation. The alignment with classic Mickey shorts is also really cool. Going from black&white to colors in the first level is a blast the first time you experience it.

But gameplay-wise it has a lot of problems. It's not an unpopular opinion. If you check all the reviews of it online, it's not a very liked game.

I played it a lot when I was a kid, and didn't really enjoy it except for the fact that it looks gorgeous. Playing it today, it's a hard one to enjoy.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, however... That's a classic! 😄

I'm not sure what you are referring to because the gameplay is perfect for me.

This is essentially a precision platformer where you have to memorize everything to run through smoothly. I enjoy going through seeing where I screw up and tweaking my gameplay over time to get better so the game is perfect for me.

The precision and memorization remind me of Joe & Mac (Sega), Revenge of Shinobi (minus the attack elements), Toki (with more variety.)

Obviously the artwork is beautiful, but the variety of gameplay styles that  changes seemlessly is beautiful as well.

There is the standard platforming, then the short cart ride level, then you have the elevator, then running down the tower, then running across the forest with dropping obstacles, to running towards the screen away from moose. I mean that took a lot of talent to do and that is just the first two levels.

38 minutes ago, Californication said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to because the gameplay is perfect for me.

This is essentially a precision platformer where you have to memorize everything to run through smoothly. I enjoy going through seeing where I screw up and tweaking my gameplay over time to get better so the game is perfect for me.

The precision and memorization remind me of Joe & Mac (Sega), Revenge of Shinobi (minus the attack elements), Toki (with more variety.)

Obviously the artwork is beautiful, but the variety of gameplay styles that  changes seemlessly is beautiful as well.

There is the standard platforming, then the short cart ride level, then you have the elevator, then running down the tower, then running across the forest with dropping obstacles, to running towards the screen away from moose. I mean that took a lot of talent to do and that is just the first two levels.

I agree with a lot here. There is a lot of variety in the level design, for sure.

However, there are certain things I don't like. The character and enemy sprites are too big, making it a slog. It feels way too deliberate and finicky at the same time. It's hard to explain, but I think other reviewers have done a far better job than me in critiquing it.

I'm also not a fan of Joe & Mac, or Toki.

4 hours ago, RH said:

I've often joked that it's the best Mega-Man game since, supposedly it was built on a Mega-Man engine.  I'm fine with that, even if it's unlike mega man where you can acquire new skills.

Are you thinking of Darkwing Duck?