IGNORED

Game Debate #104: DuckTales

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Why is sanda forcing me to vote on stuff I don’t care about? I couldn’t vote for ac dc because I left the other 3 blank. Now I can’t put my vote in here because I left next weeks blank.

If you don't vote, the communists win.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

I just fired up the Genesis version, for a double-take.

It runs smoother than the SNES version, but has the exact same problems. It's just not very fun. Veeery slow and deliberate. Boring platforming and weird placement of collectibles and enemies.

Again, it looks great. But I can't get into it.

That kind of reminds me of how some people that like shoot-em-ups do not like R-type.

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

But ninja gayden, shatterhand and vice project doom > shadow of the ninja.

platformer is my second favorite genre. I don’t own duck tales or darkwing duck. I sold them both when I trimmed out my collection. I just didn’t care for them.

Ninja Gaiden maybe since there are three of them. Vice Project Doom - no. Shatterhand I haven't put enough time in to gage. It didn't immediately grab me, but Natsume tend to age well with experience.

21 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

7. Other people have covered everything.

Bought DuckTales Remastered on PS3 but i had a freeze glitch that pretty much undid an entire level’s worth of progress and the game kept periodically eating Pogo inputs for no reason so I dropped it. Kind of want to give it a try on another console but did  some googling when that happened and didn’t see much to indicate the PS3 version was regarded as especially incompetent so I’m a little wary over whether the issues i had were just for the PS3 version specifically.

Whoa that's annoying. I'll say that I never ran into that issue on my Wii U version though.

5 hours ago, Californication said:

That kind of reminds me of how some people that like shoot-em-ups do not like R-type.

That would be me.  Unless it's R-Type Leo.  That's the best R-Type game, and ironically, the least R-Type like out of all of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Californication said:

Ya I can’t get into r-type.

7 hours ago, Californication said:

Ninja Gaiden maybe since there are three of them. Vice Project Doom - no. Shatterhand I haven't put enough time in to gage. It didn't immediately grab me, but Natsume tend to age well with experience.

Take your pick with NG 1-3 > shadow.

Vpd. No?! You crazy!

shatterhand is far and away better as well. 

Not a game that I grew up with. As a result, I might be a little more harsh on it than those who have. Overall, I think the game is pretty good. Great graphics and music, creative stages, plenty of secrets to hunt for. I have to admit that the only real hang-up I have mostly comes down to just tiny little hiccups in the otherwise great control. The hit box on the pogo can be frustratingly fussy sometimes, turning what feels like it should be a hit into a death trap. There's also the rare occasion when the jump itself doesn't seem to quite behave the way you expect it to and I've lost more lives to these issues than I can count.

But other than the struggle of a newcomer (me) to adjust to janky hit boxes and fussy jumps, I still think the game on the whole is a good one and still worth playing.

7/10

It was a good licensed game but it was not my personal favorite. I didn’t play it until I was older so I have no nostalgia for it which impacts my rating quite a bit. Also, the pogo mechanic took me a little bit of time to get used to. I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:02 PM, Sumez said:

I like the generally nonlinear design of some of the stages though, but it's regrettable that trying to explore them never yields anything of interest. There's one with a somewhat sizable underground section that serves no purpose at all.

These areas do serve a purpose though, which is to acquire enough money to get the best ending. There was a point in time where I had grown tired of the game for a lot of the same reasons you listed, but it becomes an entirely new experience when you're trying to track down every scrap of treasure to get the best ending.

The end reward isn't much different, but the real reward is having more fun than you normally would just going from start to finish. It also feels more like the show in a weird way, as Scrooge absolutely WOULD put himself into more danger just to find a little extra treasure.

The remake understood that it was how you were supposed to play the game, and instead of including an optional best ending at all, they simply redesigned the stages so you were required to do it. It's one of the reasons people tend to respond better to the remake than the original, since there's "more" to do.

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

These areas do serve a purpose though, which is to acquire enough money to get the best ending.

But getting more than enough money doesn't really take much effort as it is, and most of the detours you can take aren't particularly rewarding in that regard anyway 🙂
If you do want to pick up more money you can also just replay stages, so it doesn't really play well into the game's overall design. Feels more like they had something bigger in mind but never bothered going with it.