IGNORED

Limited Run Games

LRG has stated from the beginning that they keep a small % of games to cover damaged or lost items.  If they don't use those leftover games, they sell them in end of the year sales or blind boxes.  Any leftover stock is always going to be super small, so they tend to sell out pretty quickly.  This has been standard practice for over 3 years now.  

Edited by TDIRunner

^ to add to this, in 2019 they sold some of those extra copies at pop up shops and conventions, but since they weren’t able to do that in COVID-times, they ended up with more stock for the blowout sale than usual. 

Although I’m honestly shocked that Pirate’s Curse was in these blind boxes... it was in the 2020 blind boxes a year ago too. Maybe they held back some specifically to sell at conventions in 2020 and that was why they still had them.

Edited by MiamiSlice

14 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was in the common tier of the Switch blind boxes, making those a helluva deal.

Even though it was in the common tier, there were so many games in that tier that the chances of getting it were really low (looks like it would be a bit under 2%, which isn't much different than getting one of the uncommon titles).

They always hold onto a few of the "high demand" games to put in blind boxes.  If there is a chance of getting one of those games in a blind box, people are more likely to order them.

Some people assume that the blind boxes only have the unpopular games, but I've ordered two blind boxes in the past and both times I got a game I was interested in.  With that said, the odds are not in your favor, so I don't really recommend getting a blind box unless you really don't care what you get.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tabonga said:

They revamped the monsters a lot - basically greatly ratcheted up their physical attack, defense and hp stats.  One of the neat things about the original was that you could take advantage of the unique special attacks of your creatures - I loved to take an Artemis and give her a complement of high centaurs and you could take out an enemy leader or monster of your choice pretty much instantly.  Or have Dryst lay a power spell on his bahamut and do a world of hurt.  Or Zemeckis taking out enchantresses with a single shot. Now the special attacks are like flea bites and the battles become long drawn out physical slugfests.   Not the (at most) 12 turn affairs that made the battles in the original  such a joy.  The AI just needed to be tweaked in the original and it would have been a great improvement.

They created a whole boat load of new monsters (so many that on the small screen you can't really tell what is what) - but they are now just variations on a theme,

Just my take on it - other people may like it a lot - just not my cup of tea.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I really enjoyed the original so I was curious why another fan of it didn't like the new one.  Next time I'm in a strategy RPG mood I may just replay the original instead...or finally give the Grand Edition I've had lying around for years a try (have you ever played that one?).

40 minutes ago, Red said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  I really enjoyed the original so I was curious why another fan of it didn't like the new one.  Next time I'm in a strategy RPG mood I may just replay the original instead...or finally give the Grand Edition I've had lying around for years a try (have you ever played that one?).

You are indeed welcome!  

I did play Grand Edition in Japanese (I can't read a bit) on a US ps1 with a spring bypass - I didn't know that I could not load the second disc - which is where the final battle is.   I bought a Japanese PS1 to finish it but never got around to finishing it. 

Some other games you might like are Dark Wizard (Sega CD), Master of Monsters (Genesis - beware of the PS1 remake) and Nectaris (not a SRPG but a more straightforward strategy game based on the old Military Madness for the Turbografx - it is a heckuva lotta fun).

I started a club for SRPGs - you might want to join.

I am currently playing Fell Seal - slow starter but once you get into it is engaging.

My first time buying the blind boxes. I usually keep my gambling to the poker table.

The range on games that are worth far more on the aftermarket seemed high so I went in on some PS4 blind boxes hoping to get:

Rain World, Double Dragon 4, Nex Machina variant, Bloodstaimed variant (for collection)

- second tear Astebreed, Freedom Planet, or Time Spinner, River City Girls (potentiallybfor collection)

and then there are ones that you could sell for a profit like Blasphemous, Gris, Jak and Daxter

Even if I have to sell titles I don't want at a small loss it seems like a fair gamble. Really, I should have probably bought more than three.

2 minutes ago, Californication said:

Even if I have to sell titles I don't want at a small loss it seems like a fair gamble. Really, I should have probably bought more than three.

You won’t have to sell many at a loss. I did 10 blind boxes last year and made a good portion back on the ones I didn’t want. If anything I could have made more $ by just holding onto them longer.

3 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

You won’t have to sell many at a loss. I did 10 blind boxes last year and made a good portion back on the ones I didn’t want. If anything I could have made more $ by just holding onto them longer.

I hope that's true. Economically the country was in a way different place last year than this year so I am actually kind of curious to see how retail moves forward with Christmas behind us.

I do think I should have bought more mainly because there were several soft pass games avail.

Edited by Californication

7 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

You're welcome to do what you want, but I would love to hear the rational for why this makes sense to you.  

I went to their site to buy a game they had in stock and they told me they didn't have any. I ordered something else instead and then they sold the copy I wanted to someone else. That's a little frustrating.

1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

I went to their site to buy a game they had in stock and they told me they didn't have any. I ordered something else instead and then they sold the copy I wanted to someone else. That's a little frustrating.

That's actually not what happened.  It's already been explained to you, but you can tell yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel better.  

Just to be clear, based on your post, you want LRG's selling practices to be such that if someone's copy is destroyed in the mail, it's impossible to receive a replacement.  I personally don't agree with that.  

You would be grateful if you ordered a copy of a game only to receive it damaged and want to return it for a replacement. Hence why they keep a small portion to the side.

saw this happen with GALF. Guy retuned his because the box was bent inward. When I was at the pop up event a year ago, that same box CIB was $10.00. 

22 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That's actually not what happened.  It's already been explained to you, but you can tell yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel better.  

Just to be clear, based on your post, you want LRG's selling practices to be such that if someone's copy is destroyed in the mail, it's impossible to receive a replacement.  I personally don't agree with that.  

No, not at all. They should have let me know it's in stock but they can't sell it to me until after they confirm they no longer need to do replacements. They simply told me it's sold out. I would just treat my customers differently, that's all.

Specifically with the Blowout Sale, I take issue with the buggy website and saying that the games will be released at 10:00 when some went before and some went after. 

Some people in the know understood they would do this, but that should be made aware to everyone. When you say you are going to do something at a specific time, you do it at that time. They have released hundreds of games now, this should be like core competency #1.

3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

No, not at all. They should have let me know it's in stock but they can't sell it to me until after they confirm they no longer need to do replacements. They simply told me it's sold out. I would just treat my customers differently, that's all.

This has been common knowledge for over 3 years.  If you put as much effort into learning about their business as you do looking for reasons to complain, you would already know.  I honestly don't care if you don't want to buy games from them, but your excuses for doing so are pretty laughable.  

4 minutes ago, Californication said:

Some people in the know understood they would do this

Guilty. I was sitting at my computer with multiple tabs open refreshing the pages 10 minutes early to see which items would go live first.

4 minutes ago, Californication said:

but that should be made aware to everyone

Eh, this is like saying Nintendo shouldn’t put 3 ROMs on a cart and charge $59.99 for it. If people are paying for it then it’s working for them. 

Plus, it worked to my advantage that they didn’t make everyone aware of this. Less competition for me this way. I know I sound like a jerk saying this but we are all adults here, we should all know this is a competitive collecting market like sneakers or whatever. There are winners and losers. 

I’ve been hanging in these limited print groups for almost two years now. I’ve seen plenty of people saying they are done with LRG and so on. By all means, get off the ride when you want. This gacha stuff is inherently scummy. Maybe someday they’ll be out of business but not yet.

11 minutes ago, Californication said:

Specifically with the Blowout Sale, I take issue with the buggy website and saying that the games will be released at 10:00 when some went before and some went after. 

Oh and by the way, it’s not buggy. They use Shopify. There’s no option AFAIK to schedule items to go live at a certain time. Someone on their team manually goes through and switches each item live. I’m 99% sure of this. It works as intended.

46 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Oh and by the way, it’s not buggy. They use Shopify. There’s no option AFAIK to schedule items to go live at a certain time. Someone on their team manually goes through and switches each item live. I’m 99% sure of this. It works as intended.

What was buggy was me trying to buy something. The item was sold out, I remove the sold out items from the cart and each time I add something new the old sold out item reappears in my cart preventing me from checking out. 

If they can't figure out a way to have them all on at 10, they shouldn't say they will be on at 10. 

There is nothing wrong with people accurately critiquing something that is wrong with a company.  Thats like when people say, you don't like the country, you should move out. It's kind of silly.

3 hours ago, Tabonga said:

You are indeed welcome!  

I did play Grand Edition in Japanese (I can't read a bit) on a US ps1 with a spring bypass - I didn't know that I could not load the second disc - which is where the final battle is.   I bought a Japanese PS1 to finish it but never got around to finishing it. 

Some other games you might like are Dark Wizard (Sega CD), Master of Monsters (Genesis - beware of the PS1 remake) and Nectaris (not a SRPG but a more straightforward strategy game based on the old Military Madness for the Turbografx - it is a heckuva lotta fun).

I started a club for SRPGs - you might want to join.

I am currently playing Fell Seal - slow starter but once you get into it is engaging.

I've tried Dark Wizard, but couldn't really get into it.  Maybe someday I'll give it another go.  I've only played the PS1 version of Master of Monsters and consider it one of my least favorite in the genre.  I've heard from others that the Genesis version is better too.  It's not at the top of my list, but it's something I'd pick up if I see it cheap enough.  I've played both Nectaris and Military Madness and would agree that they're both great games.