IGNORED

You've just found a grail-level item... you care nothing about. What do you do next?

RH

Questions...  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you found an extremely rare and desirable "grail" item that you personally have no interest in?

• Be cool and leave it on the table.
    • Buy it and shelve it raw. Might not be your thing, but you get how "important" it is.
    • Buy it, slab it and shelve it. Still might not be your thing, but it's cool nonetheless so you're gonna show your respects by getting it entombed.
    • Buy it and it immediately goes to eBay! I'm to lazy for promote this or get it graded. I'll just take the money and run.
    • Buy it, submit it for grading and then source out the best channel to sell it. Nothing wrong with make as much as you can!
    • Buy it, make a video about it, make people jealous, if it's sealed then open it and, basically, troll other collectors. You're such a Logan Paul.
    • Other. Explain.
  2. 2. Ok, so you chose one of the sale options. What do you do with the cash? (for context, assume a value of $25k or more)?

• Put it in the bank.
    • Put a percent in the bank, use any other percent to subsidize your game collecting.
    • Pay bills.
    • I didn't sell it, but this is just what I needed for trade fodder for another expensive, rare item I've dreamed of owning.

After seeing @Fryer64 post about a friends mega find, it got me thinking about a good, general community question/poll.  What would you do if you were out, making your regular collecting rounds at thrift shops or through various online market places you bumped into a "grail" level item that you have no interest in collecting.  What would you do with it?  The poll list the options that I can think of, but feel free to chime in otherwise. 

Most of us collect for the sake of the enjoyment of whatever we obtain but let's be honest with ourselves, you might be a HUGE Nintendo fan but if you found a pristine Panzer Dragoon Saga that was sealed with a $5 sticker on it, you'd be a fool not to buy it.  Or, maybe you love PS1 titles but *gasp*, what's an NWC cart doing at this garage sale?!?!  You'd buy it of course, but what next?  Discuss below.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, B.A. said:

Sell it without the use of the term "grail" anywhere to be found. 

Yeah, I get it.  But the point I was trying to make is it's a hot item, can fetch a fair chunk of change and would be easy to get peoples attention.

Grail is definitely over used.  For me, I've only selectively used it for ever finding the cel that the sword used in early Final Fantasy games was likely painted on.  The thing probably doesn't exist anymore and if it does, it's obviously a single item--that's a "grail", if you're going to use the term.

But, hype is hype, and that's part of what this is about.

Sell it for as much as possible. Then use the money to pay bills.  Raising a family is expensive.  If I had any money left over after all bills and debt were 100% paid off, I would probably invest the remaining 60-70% in retirement funds, or the market, and then spend the rest on some gaming goodness for my personal collection.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I would suss out a value from ebay and stick it on craigslist.  Hard cash on the spot and you don't have to worry about shipping etc.   If it is a hot item there will be someone within driving distance that can come up with the hard specie.

I really only have one long term bill I am working down - depending on how much lucre I conjured up out of this I would put it towards that bill - if the amount I got was in excess of that I would bank it.  

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

If it was a game/item that i recognized as being highly sought after, probably leave it for the next collector that would appreciate it. Unless it was just an insanely low price that i couldn't pass up, in which case, of course i would buy it.

I would probably hold onto it for awhile, but ultimately post on here that i was looking to offload it. Most likely sell (there's not very many game items i'm after anymore and certainly nothing in that $25k price range!). Give the ol' NA discount, so that the other member would get a good deal but i'd still make more than my share. boring answer but the likely outcome.

Edited by twiztor
actually answering the question at hand
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, twiztor said:

@RHthe question in the poll is missing a "NOT". it currently says: "1. What would you do if you found an extremely rare and desirable "grail" item that you personally have interest in?"

which completely changes what you're actually asking

Thanks, fixed!

• Like 1

I'd live stream myself and @OptOuttogether somewhere in a local rice field, chewing betel nuts and burning the fucker.

The horseshit that passes as grails these days, lmfao, that's common crap and the only folks that want it are ignorant investors from an inorganic market. 

give me stuff that's actually a grail

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I doubt I have anything grail level but I have a few things worth over a grand, one probably around 5x that or more given the stupidity of pokemon buttboy behavior over sealed goods.

In the case of those 3 things that come to mind, they're shelved and displayed.  I couldn't afford any of them again, wouldn't want to buy them again, and I'd rather appreciate them for what they are.

If I were put in a spot I had to sell them, I'd take care of the issue with the funds, and what remains would go to fund my interests off budget as a slush fund to keep my sanity.

Quite honestly my disgust level is pretty high these days over where prices have gone largely due to a mix of the manipulative potentially gray area/illegal crap Halperin pulled with wata/heritage.  And then the trickle down expansive exploitation it has caused down to the beater copies of game and gaming paraphernalia etc these days right to the lowest rung crap like used food boxes and paper cut out of a magazine that's framed.  I've been VERY and repeatedly tempted on HD camera to slice open that pokemon red version box for the world to enjoy.  A mix of missing the fact I could open up a new gameboy game enjoying untouched goods, the buzzy smell of the cardboard paper and plastic mix encased for so long - and the sadist knowledge I'd really cause some problem child of our hobby to have a potential stroke from it.  From there that otherwise untouched but now once item would return to its shadowbox to continue being visually enjoyed on display..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I mean let's be real here - most of the actual "grails" are pretty shit, as games go.

*Panzer Dragoon Saga.

*Lefty SMB3

*Pokemon Red

Man, opening one of those and posting it on YouTube would rive people crazy.  Maybe not truly rare, but you'd have some ill people, and those are all good games.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, RH said:

*Panzer Dragoon Saga.

*Lefty SMB3

*Pokemon Red

Man, opening one of those and posting it on YouTube would rive people crazy.  Maybe not truly rare, but you'd have some ill people, and those are all good games.

9 minutes ago, RH said:

I mean let's be real here - most of the actual "grails" are pretty shit, as games go.

Last year I found ~$50k worth of games from a game store and ended up paying < $1500 for all of it. Some of it I sold for way less than value (found out value afterwards), sold 1 thing for way more than I thought I would, and kept a few of the lower value items just cause. In the end I made around $20k after tax, plus kept a couple cool items for the shelf. Majority of it went towards stock but I did blow a little bit on a couple new computers. 🙂 No ragrets. 

• Like 5