IGNORED

You've just found a grail-level item... you care nothing about. What do you do next?

RH

Questions...  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you found an extremely rare and desirable "grail" item that you personally have no interest in?

• Be cool and leave it on the table.
    • Buy it and shelve it raw. Might not be your thing, but you get how "important" it is.
    • Buy it, slab it and shelve it. Still might not be your thing, but it's cool nonetheless so you're gonna show your respects by getting it entombed.
    • Buy it and it immediately goes to eBay! I'm to lazy for promote this or get it graded. I'll just take the money and run.
    • Buy it, submit it for grading and then source out the best channel to sell it. Nothing wrong with make as much as you can!
    • Buy it, make a video about it, make people jealous, if it's sealed then open it and, basically, troll other collectors. You're such a Logan Paul.
    • Other. Explain.
  2. 2. Ok, so you chose one of the sale options. What do you do with the cash? (for context, assume a value of $25k or more)?

• Put it in the bank.
    • Put a percent in the bank, use any other percent to subsidize your game collecting.
    • Pay bills.
    • I didn't sell it, but this is just what I needed for trade fodder for another expensive, rare item I've dreamed of owning.

Graphics Team · Posted

If I found a "grail" item for dirt-cheap that I didn't want, ideally I'd sell it to a collector here who would appreciate it (not flip it) for a nice discount. That way the game gets in well-deserving hands for a buddy-deal, and I have extra funds to invest in a "grail" of my own.

-CasualCart

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I will only buy a grail-level item if it is tied to my focus-based goals. Even if money started to become tight, this is something I will always do in hopes of developing a long-term appreciation. Even if it something I would not be interested in (outside the reasons why I bought it).

At worst, I would buy it if it was cheap. And do so in hopes of either appreciating it or gifting it to somebody I respect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Actually just did this. Converting it into a purchase for an actual grail I've been after for 5 years or more.

Off topic, but feel free to give the details.  I'm interested!  Of course I completely get not sharing if the deal's not done.

19 hours ago, RH said:

*Panzer Dragoon Saga.

*Lefty SMB3

*Pokemon Red

Man, opening one of those and posting it on YouTube would rive people crazy.  Maybe not truly rare, but you'd have some ill people, and those are all good games.

My idea of "grails" is much different than yours if you consider that list all "grail items".

9 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

My idea of "grails" is much different than yours if you consider that list all "grail items".

Personally, no.  But the point is, these are high dollar, "obvious" things that people are willing to throw stupid-money at.  PDZ is the dark horse of that list.  I just chose it because if you're a Nintendo guy, you might know about that that game and would be aware enough to know a sealed, mint copy would fetch a pretty penny.  I mean, I could have more easily said a sealed Daytona Netlink Edition, but that's more obscure and even further, I could have mentioned stuff like original game art or mythical protos for unreleased games.  To me, those are the items that could could justify such an over-used moniker.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If I found anything worth more than like $1,000-$1,500, I'm selling.  No question.

What a casual. I thought you would pass on it, not being in your direct collecting goals. Or pick it up with the idea you (1) might some day develop an appreciation for it or (2) pass it off, for less than you paid, to another collector who is actively collecting for that item.

No, you chose to rob someone the entitlement they own as someone who is actually interested, for a quick flip….yuk.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I know you're teasing me

...but I'm trying to imagine any collector coming across a Stadium Events in the wild, and either passing on it, or selling it to someone else for 50 bucks.

I have a much bigger obligation to my family financially than I do to ensuring someone else gets a piece of shelf candy.

Now, if we're talking a game that's like $100 or $200 or whatever?  Yeah, I'll hook my buddies up.  I've given a couple $60 games away recently.  That's a gift or token of friendship.  I ain't giving away $10,000 gifts 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, Gulag Joe said:

Surprised nobody said "buy it, open it up and play it" yet

On 2/16/2022 at 1:41 PM, RH said:

*Panzer Dragoon Saga.

*Lefty SMB3

*Pokemon Red

Man, opening one of those and posting it on YouTube would rive people crazy.  Maybe not truly rare, but you'd have some ill people, and those are all good games.

Umm I know my post was wordy. But that last paragraph said both what you all said specifically. I am VERY tempted to do this with Pokémon red version. I have it sealed in a shadow box. I could use the HD capable iPhone 13 here and make some people lose their shit. 

I bought it for $100 in 2019.  I would feel no shame or loss. Less burden is all because I’d never feel comfortable selling it due to how people are now.  And I’d only take cash if I did which would be tricky too. 

it’s stored right now would have to dig it out over the weekend or so. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Umm I know my post was wordy. But that last paragraph said both what you all said specifically. I am VERY tempted to do this with Pokémon red version. I have it sealed in a shadow box. I could use the HD capable iPhone 13 here and make some people lose their shit. 

I bought it for $100 in 2019.  I would feel no shame or loss. Less burden is all because I’d never feel comfortable selling it due to how people are now.  And I’d only take cash if I did which would be tricky too. 

it’s stored right now would have to dig it out over the weekend or so. 

Post the video here if you do.

On 2/16/2022 at 6:05 PM, CasualCart said:

If I found a "grail" item for dirt-cheap that I didn't want, ideally I'd sell it to a collector here who would appreciate it (not flip it) for a nice discount. That way the game gets in well-deserving hands for a buddy-deal, and I have extra funds to invest in a "grail" of my own.

-CasualCart

This is how I feel as well. On a similar note, some things you just have to buy on basic principle. If you have the opportunity to buy a 20k item for a couple bucks, you would be a fool not to. 

• Like 1

If I found an item that goes for those prices I'd definitely post it around here for interest in buying, then try find out the logistics of getting it safely from NZ to US. Money would definitely go into the bank, could go towards things like getting a newer car or just to have as a 'rainy day' safety net. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 5:43 AM, RH said:

Off topic, but feel free to give the details.  I'm interested!  Of course I completely get not sharing if the deal's not done.

Bought a game locally for $300, expecting to sell it for $25,000, already finalised a deal to buy another game for $20,000.

I'm basically trading one game for another, I'll announce more after the deal is done.

• Like 2