IGNORED

You've just found a grail-level item... you care nothing about. What do you do next?

RH

Questions...  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you found an extremely rare and desirable "grail" item that you personally have no interest in?

• Be cool and leave it on the table.
    • Buy it and shelve it raw. Might not be your thing, but you get how "important" it is.
    • Buy it, slab it and shelve it. Still might not be your thing, but it's cool nonetheless so you're gonna show your respects by getting it entombed.
    • Buy it and it immediately goes to eBay! I'm to lazy for promote this or get it graded. I'll just take the money and run.
    • Buy it, submit it for grading and then source out the best channel to sell it. Nothing wrong with make as much as you can!
    • Buy it, make a video about it, make people jealous, if it's sealed then open it and, basically, troll other collectors. You're such a Logan Paul.
    • Other. Explain.
  2. 2. Ok, so you chose one of the sale options. What do you do with the cash? (for context, assume a value of $25k or more)?

• Put it in the bank.
    • Put a percent in the bank, use any other percent to subsidize your game collecting.
    • Pay bills.
    • I didn't sell it, but this is just what I needed for trade fodder for another expensive, rare item I've dreamed of owning.

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Bought a game locally for $300, expecting to sell it for $25,000, already finalised a deal to buy another game for $20,000.

I'm basically trading one game for another, I'll announce more after the deal is done.

It’s a WATA graded game, isn’t it? Anything 20K I automatically assume WATA. Damn you HA auctions for brainwashing me!

• Haha 1

I’m actually a random collector with things that are near-mint to new/sealed. So with this topic, what I’d do with the grail item is dependent on whether it fits my criteria. 

If it’s not in the condition of my set criteria, I’d likely buy it to flip or a trade. If it’s indeed in the right kind of condition (for me), I’d likely keep it. There is something deeply satisfying to own things that are truly rare that a lot of people are chasing. 

Also something to ponder, a “grail” may also relate to something that has some historical importance in the gaming landscape. The history behind it is also a reason why I wouldn’t mind owning one, even if it’s not necessarily my collecting target.

• Like 2

I actually got some grail level Atari computer games this summer (400/800/XE) and went right to ebay. I wanted to keep some of the games but really, what I ended up keeping were just the cheap common stuff. 

Overall, I'm a pretty cheap date. I stick to the games I like which just so happen to be mid range titles. It's a blessing bc I never had to really shell out a ton of money for games.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 6:01 PM, GPX said:

I’m actually a random collector with things that are near-mint to new/sealed. So with this topic, what I’d do with the grail item is dependent on whether it fits my criteria. 

For you... let's say you found a copy of Stadium Events... with the name "STEVe" written on it in sharpie and some ugly label lifting.  Lol, I'd cry tears of joy and sadness if I found something like that.  I'd want to keep it because it was seriously motivate me to actually work on a complete NES set, but on the other hand, I like stuff in Excellent to Mint condition so I'd be torn about keeping a poor conditioned SE.

But I understand.  There are so many rare items that I can appreciate, even if it's not in my wheel house.  I still have a shelf of Saturn games I need to move and sell because I decided years ago that the Saturn is the only system (and maybe the Dreamcast) that I want to let most of the games go and get an ODE.   Regardless, even though I will never play these games I have a very tough time letting them go!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:00 AM, RH said:

For you... let's say you found a copy of Stadium Events... with the name "STEVe" written on it in sharpie and some ugly label lifting.  Lol, I'd cry tears of joy and sadness if I found something like that.  I'd want to keep it because it was seriously motivate me to actually work on a complete NES set, but on the other hand, I like stuff in Excellent to Mint condition so I'd be torn about keeping a poor conditioned SE.

But I understand.  There are so many rare items that I can appreciate, even if it's not in my wheel house.  I still have a shelf of Saturn games I need to move and sell because I decided years ago that the Saturn is the only system (and maybe the Dreamcast) that I want to let most of the games go and get an ODE.   Regardless, even though I will never play these games I have a very tough time letting them go!

I know what you’re saying, those hard decisions where you have a certain principle, yet it kind of clashes with another principle.. the cognitive dissonance of a collector!

Personally, I don’t try and dwell too much and often I leave it to the circumstances that I’m in to dictate my next move. Sometimes it’s ok to do both ie. keep it for a finite period and to later sell/trade when applicable.

4 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Prolly shelve the thing. I have some games like Kid Klown I don't give a shit and some reason haven't sold them.

I can relate... I've done this largely for the last 10 years since stuff started to slide down hill.

One of the longest standing holds was my $2 flea market Earthbound which I got the guide being near perfect minus the one mail off card for $60.  Why I keep them...because the price, not because they're excellent.  In more recent times in 2019 I nabbed for $80(even a deal then) Bomberman 2nd Attack N64 because it was steadily rolling around the $200-300 mark, it's still pushing the $300 mark.  It's the 2nd time I've had it, refuse ot part with it only because again the obscenely hard time to get one where it's not a price problem (and it is good too.)  I've got a history of picking up stuff because it was a wow moment, some got held because of the savings and potential to use, others got used.  I've learned when I was dumpin stuff to break even or make a little, be damn sure you don't want it back or you'll get baked.  I could easily dump EB or BM2A, but then I'd be without, for good, despite the feel of really not caring.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:50 AM, Nintegageo said:

Prolly shelve the thing. I have some games like Kid Klown I don't give a shit and some reason haven't sold them.

When it comes to both my current focus and goals, I also relate to this. And can say that my Kid Klown will probably end up being my 'first print' copy of CATHERINE FULLBODY for Nintendo Switch. The Japan release (which includes "for Nintendo Switch" in the title). In the end it is currently the only other Switch title in my collection I expect to spike in value. With me expecting it being tied to variant collectors in the West, and it being hard to find in Japan.

In al cases every game I buy for this goal will be graded by VGA, packed away, and displayed on a shelf when that opportunity pops up. But even if this game has a funny backstory, it is the first time I am not phased by the fact it also has Amazon Japan stickers on the back. Just like I will not be shocked if it does become one of my higher-valued games. At the same time making no plans to sell even if it becomes a grail among other NA collectors.

• Like 1

If I found a grail-level item, I would buy it and not sell it on eBay. I don't want eBay to get a percentage of my profit when I sell it. I will find a reputable retro video game store to take it to. Then see if they have games I want for my collection. I will use some of the money to purchase the games I am looking for and keep the rest.

Edited by thrashncrash
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I used to see an actual collector searching for something really rare to complete a set and needed help, I would just add it to my mental searches, so they had more eyes looking and give it to them for what I paid. I remember doing it for someone on NA with a rare Action Max VHS game or something. I had no idea what it even was I was searching for lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Nintendopower4ever said:

When I used to see an actual collector searching for something really rare to complete a set and needed help, I would just add it to my mental searches, so they had more eyes looking and give it to them for what I paid. I remember doing it for someone on NA with a rare Action Max VHS game or something. I had no idea what it even was I was searching for lol

That's funny, I'm looking for that game.  I've seen it twice but never quite had the cash for it at those times.

52 minutes ago, Nintendopower4ever said:

What's it worth now?
I think the one I found was $60 and it took maybe 6 months of searching a few times a day, so it wasn't too bad.

I have an open eBay search for it.  I think the last one I spotted went for about $100.  That's not much, but since I didn't have it setting in my Paypal/hobby account I passed.  Didn't matter anyway, I'm looking for a sealed copy and those things practically don't exist.  Someone on here has one (it came as a pack-in with the system and has a sticker on the box stating it's in there.). The seller wanted me to give him an offer.  I want to give him one I feel is fair, but I've yet to save up for it.  There's no since in throwing out a number if you don't have the cash to back it up.

• 1 year later...

I have a Nickelodeon PS2.  Less than 50 made, and the last one sold on ebay for 5500.

Not really partial to PS2 but do love Nickelodeon.  Honestly, though, I'm chasing NES which I love INDESCRIBABLY, so if someone wanted to trade me a beat to shit Stadium Events cart or like a bunch of uncommon NES I needed, I would TOTALLY take that offer.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 2:01 AM, Tyree_Cooper said:

Let's say you find Dave in a thread, and he's derailing it so masterfully that nobody is noticing, except you. You don't really care because you don't collect Sachen games and you don't drink Taiwan Beer. What do you do?

Is there a particular reason you decided to act like a prick and post that?  How is that relevant to this thread?  A year old thread is woken up, Dave doesn't even post about sachen or beer, and this.  Grow up.