IGNORED

Console Debate #26 Super Nintendo/Super Famicom

fox

How do you rate SNES?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate SNES?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/14/2021 at 07:00 AM

Events Helper · Posted

In all honesty, this is my favorite console with the N64 trailing by 1 point!  Gamecube and NES right there as well.  This is where the real rpg era was imo.  Loved all the rpgs i ever played on the console, some of the first games I bought, still need a few though.

• Like 4

Can't take the poll. There is no 11/10 option. Well, I guess 10/10 is close enough so that's what I went with. 

Jokes aside this really is the definitive console experience in my eyes. I did give 10/10 to N64 (to much of many people's dismay) but I truly think SNES is arguably the best console of all time. It has everything. Shmups, platformers, action, racing, rpgs.. oh god does it have rpgs. Maybe not as numerous as, say PS2, but many of high quality, some are the best of all time. 

As great as the NES was, the SNES was exactly as it's name implied, it was literally a Super NES. It has everything NES had, but better in every way.

On top of that it's just my most nostalgic gaming experience despite getting it in late 1995, only a year before N64 came out, and I didn't get to truly experience most of the library until I discovered emulators in the early 2000s. 

I wouldn't trade my experience with Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3 for the world. Or the connection I have with Earthbound. Or memories of my first time with Super Mario RPG, or Super Mario World. I wouldn't give up the time I shared with my sister playing Super Mario kart for anything. I could list dozens of games that support my argument but I'll just finish and say it's my favorite console of all time and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Well, I gave the NES and PS1 and Genesis all 9s.  And I'll most likely give the PS2 a 9 as well.  Those are all some of the greatest consoles of all time.

But I prefer SNES over all of them.  *everyone gasps in surprise*

...so I give it a 9.5, rounded down to a 9 😱

• Like 2
  • Wow! 4
  • Haha 1

I love the SNES console from a technical standpoint, but I greatly prefer the SFC console design (I greatly disagree with the 'bag of bread' assertion from NOA's designer). For me, the SNES controller is the perfect digital controller for form, function, and feel (SNES controller + Mega Man X = bliss).

About 1/7th of the NA library really resonates with me and has so many greats that it's easily put in the conversation for greatest library; 2 of my top 5 games of all time are SNES games.

All that said, I've gotta go with a high 9. Despite the magic, despite the memories, the GBA just nudges it out for me. Regardless, the SNES will always have my love.

• Like 3

It'd be an easy 10, probably knocking off the N64 or the PS1 (or both) for my currently tied top spot, however the SNES era was my gaming "dark age" as a child.

I've told the story before but in brief, we had an NES.  Of course my brother and I loved it.  One Christmas/Birthday my parents got us Dr. Mario and my Mom became legit addicted to it.  I mean it. That woman could have gone pro, could absolutely mop the floor with ANYONE in pvp  and that's honestly not an exaggeration.  Her skills at Dr. Mario were better than anyone else skills, on any game. She could be the game on the max difficulty and she could do it fast.

One day she woke up with a moment of clarity and realized how much time she spent every single day on that game, quit it cold turkey and vowed to never buy another video game system again.  She was cool though, and would buy games for systems we already had for gift seasons, but that meant that the SNES and Genesis machines weren't showing up in our house.

That said, I had to scrape together years of gift money to get my Game Gear and later the N64 was the first system I ever bought with my own money earned from having a summer job. The SNES, for me, was a system I could only drool over hearing my friends talking about and reading about it in borrowed copies of Nintendo Power.

I got to borrow a friends SNES in the late-90s because he had moved on to other games and I fell in love with the few classics he had, especially SMW, F-Zero, Mario Kart and Link's Awakening.  I respect it for what it was, and it's legit in the running for the "GOAT" but considering my own personal history, best I can give is...

9 of 10

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted

I gave it a 9, and pretty much only because PS2 is my favorite system. But I love SNES soooooo much.  There are just a ton of great games, and many of my favorites, on SNES.  As others have mentioned, it has a ton of great platformers and RPGs, which are probably my two favorite genres.  There are some real classics on the system, that hold up really well and are enjoyable to play today. 

Maybe it isn't everyone's favorite, but I rarely encounter someone who just *doesn't* like the SNES.  It has so much to offer.  

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
6 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I gave it a 9, and pretty much only because PS2 is my favorite system. But I love SNES soooooo much.  There are just a ton of great games, and many of my favorites, on SNES.  As others have mentioned, it has a ton of great platformers and RPGs, which are probably my two favorite genres.  There are some real classics on the system, that hold up really well and are enjoyable to play today. 

Maybe it isn't everyone's favorite, but I rarely encounter someone who just *doesn't* like the SNES.  It has so much to offer.  

SNES SUX   😏

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

@fox Do you have a master post for these console debates and a summary of which ones are on top, like Reed does on occasion with the bands and movie posts?

I'm curious where these systems stand against each other.  If you've not done that and are considering it, you might want to wait until this one is done.  This is likely to average out as #1!

It's the greatest console sequel of all time, bar none.  II honestly can't think of anything in my life where the leap from one generation to the next was as amazing as this.

Is it better than the NES?  Man I don't know, if I absolutely had to pick only one that I could play for the rest of my life it would be a tough choice, but I'd probably pick the NES?

The NES has the better overall library, but the absolute best games on either system are most likely SNES games (FFIII, Super Metroid, LTTP, Contra III, etc vs the NES counterparts).  And lets not forget that a massive amount of terrible games were released on the SNES (as documented by Reed).  Still, it's 100% top tier to me, and really the only rivals are the NES and PS1 and possibly the Genesis.

10/10

Edited by peg
  • Like 6

Editorials Team · Posted
52 minutes ago, RH said:

@fox Do you have a master post for these console debates and a summary of which ones are on top, like Reed does on occasion with the bands and movie posts?

I'm curious where these systems stand against each other.  If you've not done that and are considering it, you might want to wait until this one is done.  This is likely to average out as #1!

With this (NA derived) crowd?  No way NES doesn't bring home the crown.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well, I gave the NES and PS1 and Genesis all 9s.  And I'll most likely give the PS2 a 9 as well.  Those are all some of the greatest consoles of all time.

But I prefer SNES over all of them.  *everyone gasps in surprise*

...so I give it a 9.5, rounded down to a 9 😱

This is definitely a M. Night Shyamalan  plot twist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've stated previously that I have three consoles that I feel qualify for 10/10, and I can't possibly choose between them.

The SNES is the last of those three, absolutely no doubt here. Several of my most favourite games of all time are on this platform, and in terms of the style and types of gameplay you'd get on this platform, I can't really see a better package than the "16 bit generation" as a whole. It was a wonderful time to be alive in, and its legacy remains strong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RH said:

Yes, but it still a work in progress.  We still have a few consoles to cover, but we are near the final lap.  🙂

• Thanks 1