IGNORED

Console Debate #26 Super Nintendo/Super Famicom

fox

How do you rate SNES?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate SNES?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/14/2021 at 07:00 AM

20 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, that's just my own personal experience.  I was able to get a hair away from 1CC'ing GnG within one week of play time for the contest a few years ago.  SGnG is much lengthier, and that penultimate boss is such a pain.  I've never been close to a 1CC.

Ya, I mean I can get to the boss on the second run through of SGng pretty easily, but I can barely get past the third level in GnG.

13 hours ago, Sumez said:

The average difficulty of NES games is definitely overrated...

I'm not sure when the "Nintendo hard" thing started, it definitely wasn't a thing back in the day.

Anyone who uses the term "Nintendo hard" hasn't played enough arcade games.

• Like 3

I rarely throw it around, and I use it as snark considering it's meant by wimps who want to say that old NES stuff is so insanely hard, therefore if a more modern game is too hard, it must have been designed like NES type garbage to be so hard you just deal with it and learn slowly or walk away if it's just too much to put up with.

And yeah, like he said just above, if you think the NES was bad, play the arcade as you'll suck even worse.  Sometimes it's just Nintendo easy.  I dare ANYONE who thinks Super Dodgeball puts up an ok battle even on hard mode, will have good gained knowledge to school the hell out of the arcade original... cartman and the drinking salty tears image pops up in my mind as a response.

7 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Anyone who uses the term "Nintendo hard" hasn't played enough arcade games.

I'm gonna go ahead and say "Nintendo Hard" isn't really a thing.  Most of those games are "hard" because of crap controls, or iffy hit detection.  If NES games were that impossible to beat, then nobody would have every made it past the Speedbike level.

But this talk does remind me of the time I remarked that I beat "Link's Awakening" without dying. Someone said "Wow, you must be an expert player!".  LA isn't a hard game. 🙄

7 minutes ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

But this talk does remind me of the time I remarked that I beat "Link's Awakening" without dying. Someone said "Wow, you must be an expert player!".  LA isn't a hard game. 🙄

I beat Link's Awakening without dying, can I sit at the cool kids table now?

On 5/11/2021 at 9:27 PM, TDIRunner said:

I really don't see why it wouldn't count.  It was a massive upgrade in technology over the previous console and included all sorts of extra stuff that wasn't completely necessary.  The Blue Ray player, the blue tooth connectivity, the memory card readers, the backward compatibility, even the start up music.  Everything about it was meant to be luxurious.  It was priced accordingly and it almost failed because of it.  Lots of cuts had to be made to help bring the price down, most notably the backwards compatibility and memory card readers.  In fact, if it wasn't a Sony console, I don't believe it would have survived until the price cuts that it eventually received.  It's the only luxury console to be successful, but it certainly wasn't successful right away.  

Well to be fair I DID go on record as saying it was like a "Cadillac" sort of deal with a bunch of brand new features compared to the PS2 which was a mostly games-only sort of deal, and it did look all sleek and sexy and shiny black like a Cadillac...AND it does have that neat opera music intro...so I GUESS we could bend the rules on that one.

9 hours ago, fox said:

I beat Link's Awakening without dying, can I sit at the cool kids table now?

Just be very careful you don't miss any of the easily "lost forever" 11 pictures you have to collect.  The 12th one (the THIEF one) doesn't count as it'd ruin your save file (in the sense that you're called THIEF and the store owner you stole from will zap you to death on sight).

Edited by Estil

16 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well to be fair I DID go on record as saying it was like a "Cadillac" sort of deal with a bunch of brand new features compared to the PS2 which was a mostly games-only sort of deal, and it did look all sleek and sexy and shiny black like a Cadillac...AND it does have that neat opera music intro...so I GUESS we could bend the rules on that one.

It doesn't really matter to me.  The only reason I brought up the PS3 earlier was because when you said "too much tech too soon makes it too expensive for most people to give it a fair chance,"  that basically described the launch PS3 to a T.

3 hours ago, Estil said:

Just be very careful you don't miss any of the easily "lost forever" 11 pictures you have to collect.  The 12th one (the THIEF one) doesn't count as it'd ruin your save file (in the sense that you're called THIEF and the store owner you stole from will zap you to death on sight).

Collect pictures?  Is this from the DX version?

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

It doesn't really matter to me.  The only reason I brought up the PS3 earlier was because when you said "too much tech too soon makes it too expensive for most people to give it a fair chance,"  that basically described the launch PS3 to a T.

Well I was referring more to a new system trying to challenge the existing Big Three of whatever gen it is at the time.  The luxury consoles of the 90s were going up against the Big Three of the 4th gen (GEN/SNES/TG-16) and not only were way above and beyond them, but wasn't there one in particular ridiculing the GEN and SNES as "baby toys"?