IGNORED

Console Debate #26 Super Nintendo/Super Famicom

fox

How do you rate SNES?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate SNES?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/14/2021 at 07:00 AM

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So @FenrirZeroyou docked SNES 2 illogical points because you bought something you couldn't afford games for (what year?) and because a game that never happened on it reminded you of one you couldn't afford, so another.  Logically speaking, since that's 100% irrational, the SNES is a 10 in your book then since neither are honest disqualifying answers and unrelated nitpicks. 😄

Honestly? Both are logical. You just don't know me well enough to realize it. 😅

In the end... My lack of money prevented me from knowing where to buy my games. It doesn't matter when I got it, as the lack of said hunt had made most of my memories feel dull. And boring. To the point even the games I would have mentioned are not worth talking about now.

And the second penalty is similar to how I feel being here right now. As in that sting you cannot remove as long as there is no available alternative. In all cases this is also a driving factor to the fact my collection is more of a narration to who I am than just me collecting games. And that situation is one that Nintendo has yet concluded with a Switch port.

In the end...

PRE-EMULATION DAYS: 8/10
EMULATION DAYS: 7/10

PRO: I did manage to own or borrow a few gems.

CON: It has me prefer the SFC library for multiple reasons.

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

The context was 6 buttons on a controller, no?

Is there more than one way to interpret this quote:

"Nintendo was the first, but the standard wasn't set until Sega followed their lead due to necessity."

We disagree.  Let it go!

The context was Sega made their 6-button pad in response to the inability to compete with Nintendo on the fighting game market with a mere 3 buttons.  The controller was released in late '93/early '94, and within a year the Saturn launched with 6 buttons, and the PlayStation launched with 8.  So them releasing a 6-button pad directly influenced the Saturn controller also being 6 buttons, and likely had an impact on the PlayStation sticking with Nintendo's controller design after Nintendo handed Sony the keys to the kingdom.

3D necessitated analogue control, but fighting games, particularly Street Fighter II, was the catalyst for the 6 button standard, plain and simple.

So in addition to my newspaper archive reading, I've also resumed my project of reading the "big three" video gaming magazines (NP/EGM/GP); I left off at July 1991 and I'm finishing out the year of NP before I go back and alternate between EGM/GP from Jul-Dec 1991.  If only I had been a subscriber of NP back then, can you imagine how even more exciting it would've been for then 11 year old me seeing the coverage of the brand new SUPER Power as well as the Classic power and Handheld power?  Sadly I didn't get my own GameBoy either and I'd have to wait until my college days before I finally my first GameBoy of any kind (original GBA) and since they didn't have Link's Awakening DX, I bought both of the Oracle Zeldas to go with it and got Link's Awakening a little later...obviously I knew I had to start with that game.

Maybe I didn't get to experience all that much back then (I had a precious few games of my own so most had to be rentals and remember I didn't get a SNES until Christmas 1994 so it's a darn good thing Nintendo kept the NES going up until that point!!) but boy I sure can now!  There's just so so so much to explore and experience both in video games and elsewhere I sometimes I wonder if I'll even have enough years on this Earth to explore anywhere near all of it! 😄 

• Like 2

I gave it a 7, but it is a 7.5 in my mind.  Don't get me wrong...I was super-hyped when I got the SNES the "launch Christmas" of 1991.  One of the kids in the neighborhood had rented the system from a local mom & pop video store known for game renting (even had an AES Neo Geo to rent), and my mom would never take us to that video store...had to wait for our dad to come visit us for us to visit it.  Anyway, I was super-jealous of the neighbor kid who got to rent before even I did!

But...after playing with it the first month or so, some of the magic of the NES era was lost.  Can't explain it, for some reason.  I still liked the games very much, but not as much as the NES.  Additionally, my brother and I got a Genesis a few years later right when Mortal Kombat was launching, and I prefer that system over the SNES.  I gave the Genesis an 8.5.  😄

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sumer said:

I gave it a 7, but it is a 7.5 in my mind.  Don't get me wrong...I was super-hyped when I got the SNES the "launch Christmas" of 1991.  One of the kids in the neighborhood had rented the system from a local mom & pop video store known for game renting (even had an AES Neo Geo to rent), and my mom would never take us to that video store...had to wait for our dad to come visit us for us to visit it.  Anyway, I was super-jealous of the neighbor kid who got to rent before even I did!

But...after playing with it the first month or so, some of the magic of the NES era was lost.  Can't explain it, for some reason.  I still liked the games very much, but not as much as the NES.  Additionally, my brother and I got a Genesis a few years later right when Mortal Kombat was launching, and I prefer that system over the SNES.  I gave the Genesis an 8.5.  😄

I know, I was like, "but all the other kids has a Super Nintendo!" 😄  My parents or grandparents could've afforded it, they were just being mean. 😞   BTW, when I did finally get a SNES in 1994, my dearly departed uncle got me MLBPA Baseball to go with it.  It hardly ever gets any attention but it's far and away the most realistic baseball game on the system.  I know the Griffey games (with the SD2SNES you can easily have two different versions of Griffey Presents MLB...one with the original player names and one with their real names set up) get all the attention but MLBPA Baseball has all the real 1993 players/stats, and you can play the season as one or more teams (for example, I'd play as the Yankees (who my boyhood idol and local-ish hero Don Mattingly played for as well as the St. Louis Cardinals (closest team and locally televised) so I could play both leagues.  So if lets say you're from New York and want to play as both Yankees/Mets, from Chicago as both Cubs/White Sox, you can.  Plus there's even bonus secret passwords you can play with frozen field, super fastballs, super sluggers, and so on.  And it's by far the most realistic looking SNES baseball game for sure.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Honestly? Both are logical. You just don't know me well enough to realize it. 😅

In the end... My lack of money prevented me from knowing where to buy my games. It doesn't matter when I got it, as the lack of said hunt had made most of my memories feel dull. And boring. To the point even the games I would have mentioned are not worth talking about now.

And the second penalty is similar to how I feel being here right now. As in that sting you cannot remove as long as there is no available alternative. In all cases this is also a driving factor to the fact my collection is more of a narration to who I am than just me collecting games. And that situation is one that Nintendo has yet concluded with a Switch port.

In the end...

PRE-EMULATION DAYS: 8/10
EMULATION DAYS: 7/10

PRO: I did manage to own or borrow a few gems.

CON: It has me prefer the SFC library for multiple reasons.

The point he is trying to make is that your complaints are of a more personal/individual type and don't really call out weakness in the hardware/library etc. What you are talking about aren't objective complaints that a large group of people could agree are a problem. And since it is unrealistic to expect nintendo to be able to solve these type of problems the system shouldn't be faulted.

I kind of understand what you are saying about the way feelings towards the games adjust your vote. Like I played SMW and LTTP so many times I have no feelings for them anymore. I try and remember that the games quality hasn't changed and that millions of other people still enjoy the games.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

Love the SNES. My favourite console. It really was a Super NES. I feel like it was a really good time in gaming with most of the attention on gameplay and less about pushing graphics which took away from a lot of the early next gen/3D console era games. A great balance between simple games but with sufficient depth and variety and generally superior response/control w.r.t the NES. It was also getting close to having an arcade experience at home (for better or for worse as I loved the arcade). Just a ton of great games that I still play regularly and hold up extremely well imo.

• Like 1

9/10. I agree that the NES is the more interesting console, but if I'm real about it the technical advancements made SNES games that much more playable.

We aren't quite at the point of graphics over gameplay here. (Something the CD-i and 3DO are extremely guilty of) In fact, the improvements in visual and audio quality made it easier to understand exactly what was happening in the game. The jump from NES to SNES is almost as big as from Atari 2600 to NES.

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

3DO (1993) - 3 button pad at launch

5 including the shoulder pads. 6 if you consider that they used the stop and play/pause buttons in some games. Notably SSFTII Turbo

7 hours ago, fox said:

I never struggled with jump from 2/3 buttons to 6 buttons.  A number of games suffer due to lack of buttons on the NES/Genny.

Oh man, I did! I played SMW only using "A" to jump for longer than I like to admit. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

That is nice, but I was thinking of music like this:

Sorry for continuing the console sound warzzzz!!11 When people poopoo on the Genesis sound I have to share some stuff, but yes many games are robot farts too, mostly western developed ones that took the easy way of using GEMS. Not that I dislike them, but this stuff I shared is miles better.

SNES is a super tight console though and the 16-bit generation was hands down my favorite. Playing on the SNES gives the good vibes with the colorful, polished and fun design that many of its games share. I fully understand anyone rating SNES as their G.O.A.T. I think compared to the Genesis it's apples to oranges, different strengths for different tastes.

9/10

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

the technical advancements made SNES games that much more playable.

What does that mean?
I think "more playable games" primarily comes more down to programmer experience and video games in general gaining more traction as a medium, with more tested and tried standards being established.
You can see the same difference between early Famicom titles, and the late era NES/FC games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sp1nz said:

I think compared to the Genesis it's apples to oranges, different strengths for different tastes.

More like comparing one apple to another, honestly. The two consoles are largely comparable and represent the same generation in video games, with a massive overlap in genres, styles of games in general, and even developers and series. I don't see one of them having any notable strength over the other. Sure, the SNES can do more stuff with its video hardware, which is the only difference that really matters, but still not to the point where it really affected the overall experience of the platform.

Yes, one console still has a ton of games the other doesn't and vice versa, but much of the way, which game appeared on which console really seemed like it came down to happenstance most of the time.

The SNES overall has a more impressive library exclusively thanks to better third party support, but not to the point where you can reasonably ignore the MegaDrive library, which has tons of quality titles of its own. If someone favors enough of those titles well enough, it's enough to outshine the SNES selection still.

9 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You can see the same difference between early Famicom titles, and the late era NES/FC games.

Fair point! Super Mario Bros. 3 vs. 1 is a great example of that. (But SMB is still very playable mind you) 

It's just an overall sense that the improvements in graphics, sounds and game design that were enabled by the superior technology (more memory, more options for control layouts) led to smoother experiences. Especially in the fighting/beat em 'up and RPG genres.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Californication said:

The point he is trying to make is that your complaints are of a more personal/individual type and don't really call out weakness in the hardware/library etc. What you are talking about aren't objective complaints that a large group of people could agree are a problem. And since it is unrealistic to expect nintendo to be able to solve these type of problems the system shouldn't be faulted.

I kind of understand what you are saying about the way feelings towards the games adjust your vote. Like I played SMW and LTTP so many times I have no feelings for them anymore. I try and remember that the games quality hasn't changed and that millions of other people still enjoy the games.

If you think dictating who I am is fine, feel free to tell me that I should quit being a member of VGS. It'll be a whole lot easier than you (and others) taking the time to know who I am as both a gamer and a game collector. With a bonus being that doing that is easy, will give everybody here high praise, and that I do not see video games as a mere system. Because in the end, I treat every computer and console as a means to experience what it has to offer me.

Because here is a reality check: I am a non-neurotypical gamer that spent more time trying to find that ideal gaming experience than most here have been playing games. When it comes to the Super Nintendo, that experience includes the thrill of finding a game that makes me want to play it. Because whenever I did do that I ended up finding myself looking at what both the game and system has to offer me. Because of this, my pre-emulation days turned out to be better because I actually had a list of games that it offered and I managed to complete. As in 100% complete.

When it came to my emulation days, I tried out games from both the Super Nintendo and Super Famicom. At this point it was no longer about the system, but rather its library. Why? Because unlike what you did with me just now, I do not assume anything if I have the opportunity to gather the facts I need to make a conclusion that is based on my preferences. Not yours, or anybody else's.

My conclusion: Me giving this an 8 is generous. It is a product that was sold in retail markets, motivated me to look for games that I can enjoy playing, and even follow up with the use of an emulator. The penalties are based on the lackluster means of finding the games that would make me say it was an 8.5 or 9. But helped save me from realizing that the Super Famicom had far more games that fit my preferences than the Super Nintendo did.

So again... If you want to dictate how I can judge a system, you might as well tell me to quit. Because unlike you, I use the responses here to understand who you, @Tanooki, and the rest collect. With reasons being the fact this is VGS, and not one of the other forums that want cookie cutter collectors and players. 😐

• Wow! 1

25 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

If you think dictating who I am is fine, feel free to tell me that I should quit being a member of VGS. It'll be a whole lot easier than you (and others) taking the time to know who I am as both a gamer and a game collector. With a bonus being that doing that is easy, will give everybody here high praise, and that I do not see video games as a mere system. Because in the end, I treat every computer and console as a means to experience what it has to offer me.

Because here is a reality check: I am a non-neurotypical gamer that spent more time trying to find that ideal gaming experience than most here have been playing games. When it comes to the Super Nintendo, that experience includes the thrill of finding a game that makes me want to play it. Because whenever I did do that I ended up finding myself looking at what both the game and system has to offer me. Because of this, my pre-emulation days turned out to be better because I actually had a list of games that it offered and I managed to complete. As in 100% complete.

When it came to my emulation days, I tried out games from both the Super Nintendo and Super Famicom. At this point it was no longer about the system, but rather its library. Why? Because unlike what you did with me just now, I do not assume anything if I have the opportunity to gather the facts I need to make a conclusion that is based on my preferences. Not yours, or anybody else's.

My conclusion: Me giving this an 8 is generous. It is a product that was sold in retail markets, motivated me to look for games that I can enjoy playing, and even follow up with the use of an emulator. The penalties are based on the lackluster means of finding the games that would make me say it was an 8.5 or 9. But helped save me from realizing that the Super Famicom had far more games that fit my preferences than the Super Nintendo did.

So again... If you want to dictate how I can judge a system, you might as well tell me to quit. Because unlike you, I use the responses here to understand who you, @Tanooki, and the rest collect. With reasons being the fact this is VGS, and not one of the other forums that want cookie cutter collectors and players. 😐

I wasn't trying to offend you. You do you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sumer said:

Same here!

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
17 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And people who are complaining about the 6 buttons sound pretty silly.  That shit was the future, and the rough layout became the standard for a reason.  Not a frickin' 2 or 3 button setup 😄

Fair point Reed, but my primitive brain just can't make sense of all those buttons. 

This is what I see when I pick up a 6-button control pad...

-CasualCart

1975692853_ComplicatedController.jpg.c670aa6dcf7e1bfe04957a9e309e0907.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Haha 4