IGNORED

Console Debate #12 Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

fox

How do you rate Sega Genesis/Mega Drive?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Sega Genesis/Mega Drive?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/2021 at 07:01 AM

Flip flopped between 7 and 8 and went 8. It's got its own personality and tons of exclusives, so it beats anything modern. It's got a good controller, so it beats anything super vintage. It's hard for to justify a lower score if 5 is average. My only issues with it are that I don't like how platforming feels with big cartoony 16-bit sprites and it doesn't win against the SNES, which is all my brain really wants to compare it to, not every video game console.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2

I grew up with SNES and tried Genesis in my adult years and I’ve come to realize I like the Genesis more than the SNES. I like the graphics, the style of games, the sound chip, and when it comes to collecting, the cases. Nothing against SNES, I still love that system, just preference. 

I gave it a 9 because I dwell on decisions too much and I don’t really know what my 10/10 console really is. But it’s in my top 3 for sure.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 2

Gave it an 8.5  Things may have changed a bit in the last year or so, but in the last several years I've always felt a little surprised that it wasn't more popular with the vintage gaming crowd.  If you've got a NES and you've got a SNES, why in the hell haven't you got a Genesis?  Once, when I was in a game store I tried to ask a guy working there something Genesis related and he immediately cut me off with: "Sorry, but I grew up a Nintendo kid."  I kind of wanted to explain to him that gaming companies are not religions...

I had a SNES first and it will probably always be the Genesis's fate to be compared to SNES in spite of the fact that it is its own machine with it's own flavor.  The arcade look and feel is great but I've played a number of games in which I cannot tell the difference between background and foreground objects very well.  Also, even in games with great graphics ie. Castlevania Bloodlines, I'll always notice a lack of ability to smoothly blend colors for a gradual change.  It's nit-picking, I know , and generally not a bad thing but rather a part of what gives the Genesis its own style, but sometimes there'll just be something in the otherwise great graphics that goes.. clunk.  The floor in the pic for example, totally distracts me from what is otherwise a fantastic piece of eye-candy.  Maybe its just me, but that's my opinion.  

The edgy sound chip is really cool albeit unsuitable for a more symphonic sound and has a grating quality after a while.  I was playing Lion King a while back which I played a lot on the SNES as a kid and playing some part on the 2nd level over and over and after a while it was like sandpaper on my eardrum and it's not even dissonant or raucous type music.  It strikes me as a matter of low input sensitivity, but I'm uncertain if that's even applicable.  It sounds incredible enough to make me feel like I'm a part of the action when I play Demolition man though, or a hundred other games that have that fast rough Genesis quality.  Blast processing was just a pr buzzword but it was a significantly faster machine than the SNES and some games (like Demolition Man) needed that to be great.

I like the controller a lot, especially how its top surface is contoured and allows the thumb to glide easily over the 3 "fire buttons."  D-pad is good, but not great.  Sound can easily be output by way of a standard headphone jack to better monitors than the tv.

And of course a wide a selection of games.  I always get excited when I've got something new for it that I know is gonna be a good one.

castlevania bloodlines pic..png

• Like 2

Was always a Nintendo kid but I always had a soft spot for Sega. I never got own a Sega console sadly, especially back in the day where most people could only get one or the other. It's not quite SNES level of greatness but it's close. Easy contender for one of the best consoles of all time. 9/10 for sure.

• Like 2

Gave it a 7. I was a SNES kid. I didn't have many opportunities to play the Genesis growing up, just once in awhile at a friend's house. I never have liked the 3 button boomarang. Not the feel of it, or the fact that it was so restrictive in input options. The 6 button is much better, but still not as good as the standard SNES controller.

• Like 2

9/10 Love the Sega Genesis. This is probably not a popular opinion, but I rate it just as high as the SNES, and I found the two consoles to be perfect complements to each other.

So many great games, and an amazing amount of variety in the library. Has some games that I believe an argument could be made that they're the very best in their respective genres (Streets of Rage 2, Lightening Force, Contra: Hard Corps).

• Like 5

9/10 at least.

It was (and is) an amazing freakin' console with a killer library of games. While I was first-and-foremost a Nintendo kid growing up, I actually got a Genesis + Sega CD as a birthday gift in '94, although it always played second-fiddle for me behind the SNES. Back then, I only ever had about 3 or 4 games for it, plus about 3 on the Sega CD, so I wasn't exposed to much of its library. Because of that, I didn't appreciate until the last 10 years or so just what incredible titles the console had to offer.

With the benefit of really exploring the console as an adult, it is definitely much tighter competition for the SNES than gave it credit for in my youth. What I really appreciate about it (and something that is almost entirely lost with modern gaming) is that even though it technically competed for market share with the SNES, it is such a distinct experience from Nintendo's offering. The graphics, sound and even style of many of its games are just uniquely "Sega" and that helps make it stand out as worthy of owning and playing. Likewise, the controller is unique and a solid one, although the d-pad isn't perfect and I personally find the button-layout of the SNES a better fit in the long run.

It's host to not only some fantastic arcade ports of the time but also a number of amazing platformers, beat-em-ups, RPGs and even racing games.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Splain said:

What are the obvious top 10 Genesis/MD games? I didn't grow up with a Genesis/MD so I've only started dabbling in recent years. What are the Zelda, SMW, and Chrono Trigger of the library?

There are dozens upon dozens of titles worth exploring on Genesis but if you want a quick and dirty list of 10 "killer apps" for the console, here's a list to get you started:

Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Phantasy Star IV, Shinobi III, Beyond Oasis, Lightening Force, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Musha, Road Rash 2, Castlevania: Bloodlines

That's good for a start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1