IGNORED

Console Debate #12 Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

fox

How do you rate Sega Genesis/Mega Drive?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Sega Genesis/Mega Drive?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/2021 at 07:01 AM

It's a solid 7 for me.

In the end the library for the Sega CD/Mega-CD had potential, but some of the games I might have wanted to play (back then or even now) never came to the states. And I also never knew about a number of Genesis games back then, which might have helped me raise it to an 8. Maybe a 9 if I really did enjoy those games.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Splain said:

What are the obvious top 10 Genesis/MD games? I didn't grow up with a Genesis/MD so I've only started dabbling in recent years. What are the Zelda, SMW, and Chrono Trigger of the library?

I don't know if they're the top recommended games but a bunch of my favorites include:

Sonic 1,2,3, &Knuckles

Comix Zone

Ecco the Dolphin & Tides of Time

Castle and World of Illusion

Castlevania Bloodlines

Phantasy Star 4

Gunstar Heroes

Aladdin (different from the snes version)

Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster

Ristar

...And this only scratches the surface. I'm hardly the best source for Genesis recommendations as I never owned a console though have played a few dozen games at a friend's house and via emulators. There's still so much more in the library I want to explore but I know there's a lot of good stuff you can't get anywhere else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sp1nz said:

some console models and versions sound way worse, so combining lazy approach and bad console model leaves worse impression forever in the minds of many.

I'd forgotten about that.  There's a particular version of the Model 1 console that was given a crap-tastic sound chip for some reason....

6 hours ago, PII said:

I'd forgotten about that.  There's a particular version of the Model 1 console that was given a crap-tastic sound chip for some reason....

There are a few quick ways to tell if it is the good sound systems without turning the power on to see the nonTMSS startup screen.  The the ring around the top will have the “High Definition Graphics” and the FCC ID will be longer on the good systems. That being said you still need to use the headphone jack on the front to access the good tones. 

bad@$$ console

That little bit of extra ram gave it so extra push, that helped with the arcadey/alternative feel.  Killer soundchip that give you that hard synth, crunchy guitars, and dance house bass like only the genny can.

Massive library full of stone cold classics for a wide variety of genres

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

I gotta say I'm impressed. I had expected more of a Nintendo bias from this forum, glad to be proven wrong. 🙂 

As I kid I had an Atari 2600, 7800, NES, Genesis and SNES. I also read video game magazines that made me aware of other consoles.

That's why I find it odd when older gamers talk about never having heard of other consoles like the Sega Master System and Turbografx 16. Didn't you read magazines? I would pour over any game mags as a kid because I was extremely interested in all games. Unless they only read Nintendo Propaganda, which is where some of the fanboyism might come from.

• Like 4

Gave it a 9.  

I was, of course, a Nintendo fan boy...but when Sonic 1 and especially 2 came out, I salivated for the Genesis.  And then when my brother and I learned that only the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat was going to have the fatalities, that was it for us.  We pooled together years of Xmas and Birthday money to buy a model 1 Genesis right before MK1 came out for the system.  It came with Sonic 2 as a pack-in and then a rebate to get Sonic 1 free in the mail.

The month after, I think my dad bought MK1 for us, after he saw how we worked together to purchase a Genesis.  We had a SNES before (and, of course, a NES and Atari/Coleco Gemini), but that late summer 1993 made me a Sega fanboy for a few years before going to exclusive DOS/Win95 gaming.  Coupled with getting a Sega CD that Xmas of 1993 too, I greatly prefer the Genesis/Sega CD combo over the SNES to this day.

The score of 10, however, will always be reserved for the NES!  🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

As I kid I had an Atari 2600, 7800, NES, Genesis and SNES. I also read video game magazines that made me aware of other consoles.

That's why I find it odd when older gamers talk about never having heard of other consoles like the Sega Master System and Turbografx 16. Didn't you read magazines? I would pour over any game mags as a kid because I was extremely interested in all games. Unless they only read Nintendo Propaganda, which is where some of the fanboyism might come from.

Same here. I always loved video games in general. The whole idea of tying your approach to the games based on which platform they are running on is so illogical to me. 🙂 I get how each platform can have their own identity based on what genres were common, and how the hardware was used. But each game is unique, and the good ones always have merit. I grew up with Nintendo consoles in my own home, but if it weren't for specific Nintendo games that I wanted, it might as well have been Sega - it's all great.
My cousin who owned a Sega would always compare talking about how "Mario is too slow" etc. and whatever corporate console war slogans were being pushed by publishers, and it never make any sense to me. Why not just play both Mario and Sonic?

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

• Like 4