IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

@Tanooki I get that from a lot of Facebook sellers where people change the asking price or you get other buyers who are salty they didn't get the deal so they sabotage the deal. Not everybody honors the price they ask. Yes it's a good deal for you but sometimes it's best in the long run if the deal didn't go through if the seller is going to have that kind of attitude. Look at it this way he could've not shipped anything at all so you dodged a disaster.

• Like 1

I had this last week on OfferUp. Guy had a Wii with wii sports and wii resort, 2 motion plus controllers and a couple other games for $40. Nothing crazy but a decent deal. I contacted him around 8pm and he said we could meet at 1pm the next day. The next day I was getting ready to meet and checked the listing again only to find it had been sold. This was an hour before we were supposed to meet and the seller never contacted me. I messaged him to confirm our meet up, think maybe he just ended the listing so he wouldn't get any more messages (doubtful), but he just said, "Sorry bro, I sold it already." I just said ok, but was thinking, "You set the meet time, I could have met earlier, and were you just going to ghost me?". It's too bad you can't leave negative feedback on interactions like these.

Day after that, the same lot is listed by a different person, minus the wii sports and resort games for $60.

16 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

How do people get away with selling food on eBay from Canada to the USA? I see a few sellers have lots of sold listings for Ketchup chips and Canadian specific food marked up 4 to 6 times over retail. I thought that was illegal?

They aren't considered essential so there is less focus on those things. Yes it is illegal to mark up stuff 4 to 6 times over retail value however Ebay I guess made the decision that they aren't price gouging. I am just assuming at this point that the sellers were reported to Ebay for price gouging already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bonanza125 said:

They aren't considered essential so there is less focus on those things. Yes it is illegal to mark up stuff 4 to 6 times over retail value however Ebay I guess made the decision that they aren't price gouging. I am just assuming at this point that the sellers were reported to Ebay for price gouging already.

It's not even the markup it's more about selling food products across an international border. Similar to when you fly and have to disclose anything organic for the most part. I dunno... it seems like a really easy way to make money from what I see from this guys listings. Selling 4 big bags of chips for $50 when you can get them on special for $2 a bag at the store.

• 3 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted
On 2/13/2021 at 6:12 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

It's not even the markup it's more about selling food products across an international border. Similar to when you fly and have to disclose anything organic for the most part. I dunno... it seems like a really easy way to make money from what I see from this guys listings. Selling 4 big bags of chips for $50 when you can get them on special for $2 a bag at the store.

If the food is pastorized or shelf stablized then there should be no issues.  It's produce that isn't canned/sterilized that's an issue.  No one cares if I send the glory that is Skyline chili (canned ground beef) across national boarders.  Though some countries get really finicky with specific items like alcohol or other food items but it's not a result of introducing invasive pest/desease which what drives the whole no produce crossing boarders uninspected or at all.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:58 PM, Strange said:

This isn’t really a complaint but I feel weird getting messages like this with an offer from the seller

0F2F81BC-C06A-46D9-9221-403E59F278E0.jpeg

Super creepy.

Though honestly I really think the seller is not a native English speaker and meant something more like "I'll be very happy if you buy it. Also, I'm keeping this item for you :)".

6 minutes ago, sg17 said:

Super creepy.

Though honestly I really think the seller is not a native English speaker and meant something more like "I'll be very happy if you buy it. Also, I'm keeping this item for you :)".

I’m thinking that’s probably what it is. I definitely won’t blame someone for language barrier, but without context the first time reading it I was like “That’s super forward” lol

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Strange said:

Lol are we spinning this as a positive now?

59C2EF1D-A7D4-4315-AF85-15926CCC10A5.jpeg

Actually unbelievably so, yes.  This new run of speculator and collector infiltrators since last year have changed the dynamic a lot.  You have like three groups I could bucket them into.  A = The WATA style crank with huge pockets and not so much common sense but hoping for a profit.  B = Those who seem somewhat informed and are sticking to the pre-2020 mindset.  Then you have the C's and well, they see NEW with old or just all around NEW even as a positive.

A perfect example, to your logic take Pokemon Red Version, a loose game to keep it simple to start.  You'd value it as such.. Great label, worn label, no label, repop label...right?  Your C's though, it would be Great label, NEW label, worn label, no label.  They'll maybe on lazy points take a clean plastic no label over a beat sticker/beat shell as they can pay $5 for a pretty sticker.  Now throw in 1:1 quality as they can be now manuals, posters, boxes and trays, they'll pay into the three figures on that stuff with a pokemon game (low 3 but still) with a real game with a nice original or pretty new sticker.  YOu though, wouldn't touch that shit with a 10 ft pole, they lap it up.

So yeah...it's a thing and depending on your type of buyer, a HUGE positive.  I've been very tempted to take this naked pokemon blue cart I have and get one of those new stickers for it because I could put out $5 and make $10 more on the stupid game with it at least.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Actually unbelievably so, yes.  This new run of speculator and collector infiltrators since last year have changed the dynamic a lot.  You have like three groups I could bucket them into.  A = The WATA style crank with huge pockets and not so much common sense but hoping for a profit.  B = Those who seem somewhat informed and are sticking to the pre-2020 mindset.  Then you have the C's and well, they see NEW with old or just all around NEW even as a positive.

A perfect example, to your logic take Pokemon Red Version, a loose game to keep it simple to start.  You'd value it as such.. Great label, worn label, no label, repop label...right?  Your C's though, it would be Great label, NEW label, worn label, no label.  They'll maybe on lazy points take a clean plastic no label over a beat sticker/beat shell as they can pay $5 for a pretty sticker.  Now throw in 1:1 quality as they can be now manuals, posters, boxes and trays, they'll pay into the three figures on that stuff with a pokemon game (low 3 but still) with a real game with a nice original or pretty new sticker.  YOu though, wouldn't touch that shit with a 10 ft pole, they lap it up.

So yeah...it's a thing and depending on your type of buyer, a HUGE positive.  I've been very tempted to take this naked pokemon blue cart I have and get one of those new stickers for it because I could put out $5 and make $10 more on the stupid game with it at least.

His Mario World has sold 183 copies and Mario World + All-Stars are selling pretty good too. I guess you can even get All-Stars graded! lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-World-Super-Nintendo-SNES-1991-Complete-CIB-Manual-Dust-W-Custom-Box/322644567634

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-1994-Super-Mario-All-Stars-Mario-World-CIB-Complete-Manual-HQ-Custom-Box/222866969156

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-MARIO-ALL-STARS-SUPER-MARIO-WORLD-WATA-8-5-CIB-Super-Nintendo-SNES-/254825103495

Edited by Nintendopower4ever
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Ok this obviously is leaning into crapping on WATA, but what the hell grading a never sealed, never made in a box game like that.  You basically have a modern print out wrapping and hiding the actual real Nintendo materials within you can't even see and they slap a rating on that.  That's not a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Ok this obviously is leaning into crapping on WATA, but what the hell grading a never sealed, never made in a box game like that.  You basically have a modern print out wrapping and hiding the actual real Nintendo materials within you can't even see and they slap a rating on that.  That's not a good thing.

Yeah, that's shockingly shady. Really bad look.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 11:33 AM, Andy_Bogomil said:

How do people get away with selling food on eBay from Canada to the USA? I see a few sellers have lots of sold listings for Ketchup chips and Canadian specific food marked up 4 to 6 times over retail. I thought that was illegal?

Reselling food of that sort is not illegal.

The question is whether the sellers are filing prior notice notifications with customs before mailing into the United States. Although FDA representatives generally turn a blind eye to such folks who fail to file prior notice, if it is for personal consumption, it is still an illegal action unless the seller is friends or family of the buyer. 

If Josh is selling ketchup chips occasionally to folks in the states, even if it's just a dude in his garage, he still needs to file that prior notice form or he's breaking regulations, due to the anti bioterrorrism food regulations passed in 2002 or whenever.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 2:58 AM, Strange said:

This isn’t really a complaint but I feel weird getting messages like this with an offer from the seller

I don't see anything creepy or weird about this at all , but then again for the past ten years the only native English speakers I'm around on a regular basis can be counted on one hand.

On 3/6/2021 at 5:28 AM, Strange said:

This feels like a guy desperate to sell at a rip off price and wanting you to like him too.

Social Team · Posted
On 3/18/2021 at 12:56 AM, Tanooki said:

If the fake box didn't get a zero score the how do you know the rest in the box isn't faked and scored as legit.  But yeah, this seems all kinds of scary and wrong.  That or dude is faking WATA rating.  I'd be resistant to bash WATA from what I can see.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if the WATA rating was faked too.  Maybe someone from WATA would be interested to know of this sale.  Be good to double check their end that shady shit didn't happen.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:09 AM, FireHazard51 said:

If the fake box didn't get a zero score the how do you know the rest in the box isn't faked and scored as legit.  But yeah, this seems all kinds of scary and wrong.  That or dude is faking WATA rating.  I'd be resistant to bash WATA from what I can see.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if the WATA rating was faked too.  Maybe someone from WATA would be interested to know of this sale.  Be good to double check their end that shady shit didn't happen.

Oh, poor, sweet, naive summer child... How I so wish I could reclaim my innocence and blissful ignorance such as yours... For you see... WATA HAPPILY GRADE REPRODUCTION ITEMS!!!!!

They have zero qualms grading bootleg games, fake boxes and manuals, even "reproductions" of games that never existed at all, such as fan translations. As long as the check clears, they will grade WHATEVER you send them.

It is shady as fuck, it's a shameful surrender of credibility and integrity, and I hate it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, avatar! said:

This seller from Japan is charging $999 for shipping for every single item.

Not sure what the rational behind this is? I almost feel like asking them why they're being such an ass, but meh, doubt it's worth the time nor effort.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/jpgam66?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I've bought from Japanese sellers last year who continued to list on Ebay.com, but wouldn't ship to the US due to Covid (EMS is shut down, but you can still use boat mail, Fedex, DHL). They just immediately refunded and relisted the item. No idea why it's on Ebay.com to begin with, but this could be something like that.

Social Team · Posted
7 hours ago, OptOut said:

Oh, poor, sweet, naive summer child... How I so wish I could reclaim my innocence and blissful ignorance such as yours... For you see... WATA HAPPILY GRADE REPRODUCTION ITEMS!!!!!

They have zero qualms grading bootleg games, fake boxes and manuals, even "reproductions" of games that never existed at all, such as fan translations. As long as the check clears, they will grade WHATEVER you send them.

It is shady as fuck, it's a shameful surrender of credibility and integrity, and I hate it.

Yeah, if they don't make it CLEARLY obvious that it is a reduction (I'm talking the whole label is a different color) then that is SUPER shady.  To me that was the sole reasons to do the grading.  It's like a certificate of it being authentic and the condition it's in.  You'd break the case afterwards to get the game out and play.  If it's a sealed game which you won't open then the case serves as a protective case.  Grading is just a way to make sure you aren't getting scammed.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 10:58 AM, Strange said:

This style of message is very common among International Sellers - basically just a polite way of encouraging a purchase.  The structure is due to language translation most likely/