IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

@koifishNot sure you noticed but that post is 16months old. 🙂  I still have the game, it hasn't grown any crud so I got it all and yeah it sucks, but hell at least both my bonks have no case. 😉

As things sit now, aside from game guides/manuals, old game system boxes sitting in my non-temp regulated (but thankfully not humid) closet off this room, anything else sits in this room and is perfectly safe, even more so since the major repairs off a refi last November.  New roof, new windows(2x pane with UV and argon inside), and a back room that was falling apart too.  The place may be old, but its definitely better off than it started 8 1/2 years ago.

Sad thing is, I'm considering selling the PCE stuff, I'm tipping on the edge of it.  I used it just once a week ago about for hte first time in at least a year, did a half dozen games, and it didn't bore me, but it didn't please me either.  I was considering swapping it for a Core GrafxMini but the prices blow, and some of the games I do like aren't on it, and it's not hacked to add those few.  With HD choices coming almost worth just adapting the CG2 I have at that rate given the fact I've got between 20-30 games and the everdrive too.

Ha ha, yeah, sorry, I just have a history with moisture control and feel the obnoxious need to necro dead conversation points when it revolves around that issue.

I'm guessing playing on a Wii isn't a solution for your PCE desires going forward?

Off-topic, I think I must be (knock on wood) the luckiest ebay-er in the world. The worst I've ever gotten (besides counterfeit pokemon cards in another life) was a buyer leaving me neutral feedback because the brand-new Super Mario Black Friday New 3DS I sold them didn't include a charger. Like, duh, Nintendo cheaped out and didn't include one, and I never said anything about one being included, it was NIB system-only. But I mean, in the grand scheme of things, that one is a pretty minor issue.

I'm gonna hope I keep lucking out, we'll see "when" I get my game repair business going.

Nah playing the Wii wouldn't do it.  You know it does remind me, if I had kept my original one, and/or by the time I got the one I have now had they not killed the shop I could have recovered Ys Book 1+2 and Dracula X CD releases.

My only bad luck that stuck on ebay was only breaking even on people trying to scam, where ebay fixed it on my end, but the scum bag got away with it still as they still got money or whatever they were after so ebay ate it.  That said, the one time my gf at the time wanted an item and with me having the account had her buy something.  The seller was an actual criminal, they stole dozens of peoples money and I found out had an FBI case against them, but seeing the fed took interest, ebay went all hands off, and all parties lost their money and got no item shipped as wanted.  That had to be like 15 years ago now.

• Wow! 1

Upon review, and coming back to sage I made 2 assumptions i shouldn't have made. 1. Only a few bad apples posted anything, this was the first I had seen of this and was a knee-jerk reaction. 2. I assumed Gocollect had bought NA In good faith, but that was wrong, very, very, wrong. They don't care. I get that now. Please accept my apologies on that.

Anyways I do have a genuine question on whether or not I made the right decision on an item on marketplace and not selling to this guy. After the fact I learned he is a legit insurance agent and that is a real office. As someone who somehow got away from a trap deal by being the luckiest guy alive I only do public meetups in banks or crowded restaurants. Feel free to roast me if I handled this poorly. These are my finances cards I'm selling for background. I left the chat and 200.00 by doing that.  This may seem a bit ironic but someone working insurance I would think would understand this.  

This isnt to shame the guy, genuine interest if that was the right move 

Screenshot_20210702-115727_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115732_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115744_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115738_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115751_One UI Home.jpg

Edited by Fryer64
Editt

I remember also there was some convo here about paid vs. free shipping. I know some pointed out that there is a preference to avoid paid shipping, as people will even pay more than cost+shipping for a free shipping item. I've just avoided paid because I am concerned about someone on another continent buying the item and then pushing their free shipping on me. Maybe Ebay doesn't have this happen anymore, but I had this happen once for ebay international shipping program, and I'd rather not have it happen again, so I just say paid shipping. Saves me from being surprised by the outcome.

3 hours ago, Fryer64 said:

Upon review, and coming back to sage I made 2 assumptions i shouldn't have made. 1. Only a few bad apples posted anything, this was the first I had seen of this and was a knee-jerk reaction. 2. I assumed Gocollect had bought NA In good faith, but that was wrong, very, very, wrong. They don't care. I get that now. Please accept my apologies on that.

Anyways I do have a genuine question on whether or not I made the right decision on an item on marketplace and not selling to this guy. After the fact I learned he is a legit insurance agent and that is a real office. As someone who somehow got away from a trap deal by being the luckiest guy alive I only do public meetups in banks or crowded restaurants. Feel free to roast me if I handled this poorly. These are my finances cards I'm selling for background. I left the chat and 200.00 by doing that.  This may seem a bit ironic but someone working insurance I would think would understand this.  

This isnt to shame the guy, genuine interest if that was the right move 

Screenshot_20210702-115727_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115732_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115744_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115738_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-115751_One UI Home.jpg

I'm not sure which one you are tbh, but I definitely agree on not going to the guy's house/"office"/whatever it is. My default is to decline anybody who acts "funny" during discussion of a transaction. Can't say it's ever lost me sleep either.

3 hours ago, koifish said:

I'm not sure which one you are tbh, but I definitely agree on not going to the guy's house/"office"/whatever it is. My default is to decline anybody who acts "funny" during discussion of a transaction. Can't say it's ever lost me sleep either.

Last winter a group underage kids wanted to meet at a local park pretending to be an adult to buy a binder, I got out the car and was surrounded by a bunch or pimply, freckley  Ne'er do well teens and I just sorta jogged back in my car and took off. There aim sucked because they were throwing something at me and obviously wanted me to pull over but i just got the hell out of there.

Could have likely held my own for a minute but all it takes is one knife to completely change the tides of a fight. Mind you the sun wasnt even down yet so I was dealing with some real pros, but probably should have let them have the cards and left because being known as the guy mauled to death by a wild pack of 17 year olds is not what I want my legacy to be

Pokemon card collecting is some serious lord of the flies shit

Edited by Fryer64
Edit

17 hours ago, Fryer64 said:

Last winter a group underage kids wanted to meet at a local park pretending to be an adult to buy a binder, I got out the car and was surrounded by a bunch or pimply, freckley  Ne'er do well teens and I just sorta jogged back in my car and took off. There aim sucked because they were throwing something at me and obviously wanted me to pull over but i just got the hell out of there.

Could have likely held my own for a minute but all it takes is one knife to completely change the tides of a fight. Mind you the sun wasnt even down yet so I was dealing with some real pros, but probably should have let them have the cards and left because being known as the guy mauled to death by a wild pack of 17 year olds is not what I want my legacy to be

Pokemon card collecting is some serious lord of the flies shit

lol @ your "legacy" but shocked by your story. I never thought kids would mug somebody over pokemon cards of all things. Given they were meeting you by day, might I assume they were also dull enough to give away some info about their real location/identity as well? I'd hope that you could have some comeuppance beyond just evading a bad ending. Still, a good cautionary tale about being careful with people. Even in public it can be dangerous.

That's why I like the idea I've seen of asking to meet at a police station for trades/etc. I've heard that police are quite amenable to it, and it's a pretty sure way to prevent funny business. They likely even have you on security camera too, so if there was foul play afterward (ie. following your car) then you could drive right back to the station and report them, and they'd probably be able to instantly get their plate info from that footage.

I have heard of some sales that fell through because of insisting on dealing at a police station, but I can't say I've heard of anyone regretting those lost sales.

48 minutes ago, koifish said:

lol @ your "legacy" but shocked by your story. I never thought kids would mug somebody over pokemon cards of all things. Given they were meeting you by day, might I assume they were also dull enough to give away some info about their real location/identity as well? I'd hope that you could have some comeuppance beyond just evading a bad ending. Still, a good cautionary tale about being careful with people. Even in public it can be dangerous.

That's why I like the idea I've seen of asking to meet at a police station for trades/etc. I've heard that police are quite amenable to it, and it's a pretty sure way to prevent funny business. They likely even have you on security camera too, so if there was foul play afterward (ie. following your car) then you could drive right back to the station and report them, and they'd probably be able to instantly get their plate info from that footage.

I have heard of some sales that fell through because of insisting on dealing at a police station, but I can't say I've heard of anyone regretting those lost sales.

You try to fight off a pack of ravenous 17 year olds right before sunset and tell me how it goes. To be fair it was over 1k in cards.  There should be a homebrew game where while you are just casually walking home from school you can get attacked by like a mob of Logan pauls

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fryer64 said:

You try to fight off a pack of ravenous 17 year olds right before sunset and tell me how it goes. To be fair it was over 1k in cards.  There should be a homebrew game where while you are just casually walking home from school you can get attacked by like a mob of Logan pauls

Maybe I used the wrong words, only lol was about your comment of the possible fate of "taken out by pimple-faced teens in the name of trading cards", rather than by what happened or by the real implications of what could have happened.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I find the complaint itself confusing how it was written.

I know right? Clearly the buyer had expectations that were unmet, but these expectations aren't made clear at all. Complaining that a PSX disc is black is like complaining that there be cheese on a pizza. It's how it is.

Good news tho: even if communication was not easy (english is neither the buyer's or my first language), we got through and they realized what they had purchased and they popped the disc in a proper Sony PlayStation 1 and it worked. Having received this confirmation from the buyer let me push the case to ebay to have this feedback removed. I'll take a hit when I have to, but this one was just bogus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I know right? Clearly the buyer had expectations that were unmet, but these expectations aren't made clear at all. Complaining that a PSX disc is black is like complaining that there be cheese on a pizza. It's how it is.

Good news tho: even if communication was not easy (english is neither the buyer's or my first language), we got through and they realized what they had purchased and they popped the disc in a proper Sony PlayStation 1 and it worked. Having received this confirmation from the buyer let me push the case to ebay to have this feedback removed. I'll take a hit when I have to, but this one was just bogus.

I snorted a little at the complaint that the back of the PSX disc was black.

Bought an AeroWings 2 off ebay. Got a good deal. There were pictures of the front back, and disc. Not the spine. When it arrived I realized the back art was for AeroWings 1. I didn't recognize it because I wasn't familiar with it. There are no other back arts for sale on eBay. Debating asking for a refund or just letting it go and trying to get the back art later. sigh.

@WhyNotZoidberg Yeah that is what I was wondering, just seemed too strange.  Like 99.?% of PSX/PS1 games have a black bottom, it's only some really late stuff, reissues at that like Square-Enix does on those few CDs that have silver on that side.  At least it's getting fixed.

And as far as Aerowings 2 goes, I'd return it, you'll end up paying more probably to buy another case with the rear art you need, unless that deal was a steal of a deal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@WhyNotZoidberg Yeah that is what I was wondering, just seemed too strange.  Like 99.?% of PSX/PS1 games have a black bottom, it's only some really late stuff, reissues at that like Square-Enix does on those few CDs that have silver on that side.  At least it's getting fixed.

And as far as Aerowings 2 goes, I'd return it, you'll end up paying more probably to buy another case with the rear art you need, unless that deal was a steal of a deal.

100% this.  For a short period of time, I'd buy certain games without manuals, or even just the cart for something like DS game.  I quickly learned that specifically seeking to replace those components are hard to do cost effectively.  The best thing to do is to return it/resell it and then buy a full and proper CIB.

Now, I will look for good case/manual deals.  Getting the cart is usually easy but the other way around can sometimes be like finding a needle in a hay stack for games that are uncommon or more rare than that.

If I ever come across an empty case, I always keep it because finding a cart only or disc only game is usually pretty easy.  But the other way around is normally pretty difficult.  I would return it unless you got a really good deal on it.  I have a handful of disc only PS1 games simply because I got them for next to nothing.  For now I printed custom inserts so they can sit on a shelf, but it's still my goal to either get lucky and find the art or eventually replace it with a CIB copy.  

Years ago I cam across a huge assortment of original covers and manuals.  Mostly PS2 and PS3, but some GameCube and a few other systems as well.  I keep all of them in a binder, and if I ever see some cheap disc only games, I check my binder to see if I can complete the game.  

I've learned it from experience yet I still sometimes end up with stuff where I have one or other other by just dumb luck or bad luck.  Early this year I ended up with a spare new 2ds xl, as usual some dumb individuals think that everything about a handheld game other than the game is trash, no better than the box mac n cheese comes in.  I've yet to come across the case/art/inserts for it (Monster Hunter Stories 3DS) but given how much the game goes for, as much as it bothers me a lot, I don't get rid of it as I'll find it eventually.  It's harder now too than in previous years compared.  I used to not have too hard of a time where I'd find someone ripped off games at a goodwill, but the staff would let me take the case/manual for free such as the case of Diablo and BoF III.  The games even 4-5 years ago weren't exactly cheap ($40-50 each complete) so I just waited it out find a loose clean disc for like $10-15 and I was happy, but it took time.  I've been sitting on for years a Pokemon Platinum case/inserts/manual for DS too in my file cabinet, and given what that game rolls for, there's no way in hell I'm letting that go without a really good incentive.

• 3 weeks later...

I know the gamestop thing is sorta like beating a dead horse, but I can't imagine who thought those prices were acceptable. 

On a petty sidenote, went hunting with a friend today and came across a ghost busters pinball from 2016 I dont care at all for. Huge gap between the flippers 

20210731_121556.jpg

• Eyeroll 1

Speaking of ebay practices.

Did I miss an update where you can no longer open a case or punish people in the slightest for not paying?

I have this douche who won't pay for a MAX controller I sold.  I tried to find open case to see it removed, no notes anywhere either at face value.  I backdoored the explanation off google, seems now after you sent an invoice (or not) after 4 days you can just relist the item and that's it.  There's nothing about consequences anymore, so I guess now you can just bid war stuff, not pay, and not be punished for it.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Speaking of ebay practices.

Did I miss an update where you can no longer open a case or punish people in the slightest for not paying?

I have this douche who won't pay for a MAX controller I sold.  I tried to find open case to see it removed, no notes anywhere either at face value.  I backdoored the explanation off google, seems now after you sent an invoice (or not) after 4 days you can just relist the item and that's it.  There's nothing about consequences anymore, so I guess now you can just bid war stuff, not pay, and not be punished for it.

Yea that’s pretty much the new mode of operation though I think ebay says the buyer automatically gets a strike. But who knows if its true. It was talked about on the ebay community forums. Which I think you might be interested in checking out to see some of the stuff they’re doing.

• Thanks 1

Last year I was selling some carded TMNT figures from the 2012 line. Nothing rare or mind blowing. A guy messages me asking if I can go down in price because he wants to get them for his kid to open and play with. I search and there are tons of auctions with the figures I have loose. I said no but you should be looking for loose figures because it'll be much cheaper. He replied that the loose figures don't always come with all the accessories which is why he wanted mine.

spacer.png