IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

On 4/28/2021 at 11:33 PM, Tanooki said:

Hey I got a fun story for you about a person on ebay who likes to play games with sellers.

I posted most of those Big Box PC games I chose from that stash not to keep on ebay Tuesday night.  This morning a buyer Chris Stauffer riftenstyxthetainc9 2420 picked it up for $39(50 shipped~)  Cool.  I was working on postage for two other items that sold the night before so I went ahead and printed that up, wrote the dude I was taking it, and that should have been that.

I get an ebay mail from a concerned third party about someone having borrowed my pictures to sell the same game and for a huge price increase (165 shipped/obo.)  I tried to report it, I get an error.  Have my wife use her account, works fine, seems the guy BANNED me from contact/sales/reporting as he put the listing up.  Dick move, totally.

Me not being amused with this called, got it escalated as far as stateside support, and well they won't do a thing about the images, but they weren't too amused by people doing what he did.

A bit later yet the person writes me again, asked me something I was soooo fixated on I didn't even think to look.  And I confirmed it.  The buyer of my item, is also the SELLER of the inflated item.  HE waited for the tracking to show possession and he pulled the scam.  Now he is selling the item he doesn't actually hold, and won't until the earliest this Saturday if he's lucky with USPS as it is. I called back into ebay, reported the new info, the rep lady was shocked even laughed at the guy for having the nerve to do it, talked about how scammers like that suck and are hard to catch.  She escalated it to some scam team I guess, said it was escalated to a group who could deal with fraudulent listings where the item isn't able to be fulfilled or something.

Here's his listing I'm banned from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224442401092

And here's mine, look familiar?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254958649258

Since I feel a little vindictive, dug my print out from the trash for the label.  Stauffer Industries, 2294 Parklake Dr NE #553, Atlanta, GA 30345  -- keep that in mind with the user name, maybe it happened to you?  His account is fairly large with a high rating so this little scam seems to slide by well for him until now.

Am I missing something here? Seems like he bought it from you in attempt to flip it. I don't approve of listing before you actually have the item in hand or reusing pictures since it could always get damaged in transit but assuming it doesn't it's a non-issue. Why are you calling him a scammer and going through the trouble of having it returned via returned to sender?

• Like 2

Because of what he did, that's all.  It accidentally made it there so it's over.

My intent was to teach the guy a lesson basically, that's all.  I would have refunded, banned him, and relisted it to someone who hopefully would have just enjoyed playing the game and not a piece of shit trying to rip someone off hoping some dummy would pay many times over the actual value.

Given the way ebay works, as long as I got it returned, refunded the guy proper, it would have been above board and he would have been stuck with a bogus listing.

I've noticed in 2021 an increase of Ebay video game sellers cancelling a transaction either immediately after the auction ends/buy it now within a short time of listing the item or just waiting a week and when I ask for tracking the cancellation comes right away which means they didn't send at all. 36 transactions out of the last 100 is kind of high. This makes me question how many other transactions get cancelled. When you see an item sold that doesn't really mean it actually sold anymore.  

• Angry 1

I've had an increase but nothing on that level or anything near it of deadbeats.  I had to sell the C&C Red Alert counterstrike sealed up big box game 3X before someone on the third actually paid for it.  I seemingly am up to 1 deadbeat average this year per auction cycle I run.  Sometimes none, randomly I've had a few cases where 2 idiots pull it.  I used to get a deadbeat maybe once every month to three months.  It's like are you a moron?  Don't bid if you're not buying.  And I don't even run high dollar stuff either in general, rarely stuff that hits 100+ so it's not like I'm running some pay rent or buy item situation here.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else getting this message with their seller account? Everything is up to date so I'm not sure what the problem is?

Your payouts are on hold until you update your account details. Please update by Jun 30, 2021 to avoid further restrictions.

Everything is up to date so I'm not sure what the problem is?

30 minutes ago, austin532 said:

Anyone else getting this message with their seller account? Everything is up to date so I'm not sure what the problem is?

Your payouts are on hold until you update your account details. Please update by Jun 30, 2021 to avoid further restrictions.

Everything is up to date so I'm not sure what the problem is?

i almost quit ebay cause of this crap.  you have to send a few cents from your bank account to verify your bank account with ebay.  i ended up calling them  cause the whole thing i didn't understand

22 hours ago, Nes Freak said:

well  sure but ebay i think got rid of them so they could take the fees paypal was taking.

Paypal no longer refunds fees on transactions if a return is made. With Ebay's return policy more favorable to buyers it was a chance to where Ebay can make money and also offer a return in transaction fees to sellers.

2 hours ago, Bonanza125 said:

Paypal no longer refunds fees on transactions if a return is made. With Ebay's return policy more favorable to buyers it was a chance to where Ebay can make money and also offer a return in transaction fees to sellers.

yeah ive known that about ebay for years.  paypal also favores the buyer  last year i had some arse try to scam me for doing a service for 500 dollars claiming he didnt receive the whole order  with a police report.  i had to file my own police report  and out of sheer dumb luck won the case.  it only took 4 months of fighting though...

theres fees are going to force people to use friends and family then paypal will get smart and start charging fees for that too i bet.

I took down someone earlier ago trying to play a game with a SNES Zelda cart I sold in the last couple of weeks.

Supposedly if you check my image I attached, this is an authentic game, with a fake shell and sticker. 🙂

Here's where it started: Their comment: "Comments Hello, The front shell doesn't seem to be authentic. The texture and color of it is completely different from the rear shell. The ridges on the sides don't match up and the case seems loose even when tightened. This was most likely swapped at some point. Also the label is very glossy.. a sign that it is a reproduction. The rear shell and board are authentic, however. Unfortunately, I'm looking for a 100% authentic copy and will need to return. Thanks.

>>From there I explained to them why I took my images they way I do, that I've had it, it's real, etc. (at this point ebay froze my funds)

He follows it up with: I've pointed out what the differences are. Very clearly. and just because it's your second copy doesn't mean it's authentic a the way through. I know what to look for when it comes to this stuff. The shell doesn't match from front to back..it feels loose when handling the game. The label is ultra glossy..these are tell tale signs that a repro she'll was swapped in. Games originally came with front and back shells matching in texture and color and the ridges on the sides were flush. Some buyers might not care but I do. Contest all you want but I need to return for a refund.

>> Aggravated at this rate, I decided after talking to some members at the same time on discord on this one to take this guy out if possible.  Keep in mind this is going on about 30min from the case opening and this stuff.  Debated it a little, then called ebay.  At the same time I decided to pull a reverse Uno card stunt, and I opened a bad buyer case against him.  I stated it was a real product, he's not denying it's a real product itself, but is claiming the plastic and sticker are fakes and that they don't line up (molds, color, etc.)  And it went into instant review.  As this happened I got a rep on the phone, and they slammed MY case against him shut, my side.  On top the rep on the phone looked at the case(s), the image, and agreed with me verbally it was a joke too that he (his words) was likely trying to take advantage of a seller to get a partial refund or more and that they're trying to be proactive about that more when sellers complain.

At this rate I win, the funds were restored, and he got a mark on his record about his system abuse and to look into his other activities.  And to play a little more with the guy, I added him to my blocked bidder list.

I don't think he liked the loss, I got this message after which I didn't respond to: I understand that it's not exciting to get a message like that. I dunno..the game is mostly authentic..the board is the most important part and that's most definitely authentic..I'll just hang onto it and avoid the headache of having to go back and forth. Quite frankly, I don't feel like dealing with the stress

Either I got lucky, or maybe the route I took is a way to deal with people playing games about maybe trying to switch out product on returns or playing the refund game.  I didn't even have to say it directly, but he said the game was authentic just not the exterior, that's an instant ebay fail as he cracked it open by that admission. 😉

tldr - He opens case to try and scam, I opened case over him trying to scam, within 45min my funds were tied up, then untied, and my case won, he's being looked into, and got salty. 🙂

snes-zeldalttp.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Had a snipe on an auction with a bid. The auction got taken down and the seller put it up as a BIN for half my max bid, which of course sold instantly. Then I had a hit on a different saved search for the first time ever and it was a $40 BIN, gone by the time I saw it.

Both uncommon Commodore 64 games, really not the end of the world, but people putting random BINs on items with no price history, what motivates you! Just put up an auction! The worst that can happen is one person bids for your minimum bid price! I'm trying to give you money 😭

Side note, every seller who puts a random too-low BIN on an item that I nab in time, good on you. Keep up the good work.

Edited by DefaultGen

So I just won a little Samson for $2049 on eBay. Some of you know I was moving and I had a large proceeds from the house so it's a perfect time. I won the auction and am trying to pay and eBay keeps telling me: "This item isn't available in the requested quantity. It may have been already purchased, or the listing has expired."

So I go to message the seller telling them I am having technical issues trying to pay, when I get a message from eBay showing the order was canceled, and then immediately got a message from him:

"Hello. I'm sure you've noticed by now that I cancelled this auction immediately after it ended. To be completely transparent, it had nothing to do with what the game sold for as I was perfectly happy with anything over $1,500. Some life events changed for the better early this week and I was going to just end the auction then, however eBay was telling me that if I ended the auction early that I would still be charged the final value fees which at the time would have been over $150. Instead I just decided to let the auction run it's course then cancel it immediately to avoid this. I never truly wanted to sell the game in the first place and I was only selling the game out of necessity because I needed the money, but like I said earlier things changed earlier this week and that was no longer the case so I decided I wanted to keep it, but with the way eBay runs things was a problem. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and I sincerely apologize. I just felt the need to explain myself to you since you were the winner. Again, I'm sorry and hope you have a nice day. Thank you for your time and understanding."

So... I'm pretty conflicted. One one hand, I guess I saved two grand, and I was already upset paying that much. But on the other hand, I don't really see it getting and cheaper any time soon and it's pretty crappy to get a buyers hopes up like that. Thought I knocked this one off my list, but I guess not. 

Oh well, I'll probably not get it ever, because I'm most likely not going to be in a position to get it at any point again like I am now.

• Wow! 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

@CodysGameRoomThis has been happening a lot lately. Cancellations immediately after an auction ends or a buy it now where there is a deal. When you see Little Samson sold for X amount I wonder if those are just cancellations. Like you said it's better to have your money at this point. I think a serious seller will come around and sell it eventually for the right price.

• Like 2

Hmmm conflicted too just reading that.

The thing is, that is true.  Ebay does have a pretty ratty setup if you want to terminate something, you get fees, even if it were posted in error/accident, you get fees and it sucks.  It's bad enough on a $10 or $100 item, but on a $2000 item ...ugh.  It's sad, but that's where ebay leaves it, screw the buyer and apologize, maybe block them or whatever on the back end against revenge bidding another thing.  That way, no fees, no harassment, no problem, seller wins, a rarity.

Yet I thought you could cancel an auction without fees if you sent a cancel to the existing bidder, give a reason, and if they agree it's clear.  This wasn't attempted.

• Like 1

Not a rant, but something that got on my nerves this past week. I dated a girl for a few years, and I had her address on my ebay page as a shipping address. I recently purchased a comic book I wanted that is no longer sold at the store I go to. Okay, cool.

and I admit this was entirely my fault, but this guy could have been gracious enough to help me out to maybe garner a bit of repeat business...

I purchase the comic book and realize too late that it's going to my ex's house. As a sign of good faith I purchase another one from him before asking to cancel the other. I know he's under no obligation to cancel my order, but as I said, I was showing good faith by ordering the same item again to my address. A day goes by and nothing. Suddenly, a shipping date is set.

A few minutes later he denies my request and messages me, "The item has been shipped." I've sold on ebay a few times and I'm pretty sure he saw my request before making a shipping label. He hadn't even shipped the item, just made a label. I messaged him back telling him I would eat the postage fee if he just cancelled the item. He never replied, the item shipped and was delivered. And now my ex is probably wondering why I sent her a random comic book out of the blue.

Again, totally my fault, but this guy is displaying a lack of customer service. His recent feedback is really good, but his early feedback is super negative, and the feedback is mostly people calling him on dick moves.

I dunno.

• 3 weeks later...

This isnt gonna gain me any friends but I think our community has a problem.

I went to gocollects forum and I saw some really offensive and completely mean spirited  posts claiming an array of people for the death of NA. .

Disgusting. Embarrassing. Cringe.

We lost alot when na went down but when do people that are bonkers about old video games say things like that and put in a half ass effort on this site?

Seriously, look at that forum. Not saying some of it isn't deserved but jesus christ people we need to move on and create a new nintendoage and this site has serious potential.

I am not a schill for gocollect, but it's time to step up and make this site better with our combined knowledge.  I'd be surprised  If even 20% was gone for good based on the major collectors I've met here and even the casual ones. 

Let's step up and take the high road and if revenge or whatever is needed, why not make this better then N.A. 

If you dont like that idea that's cool, but you are probably part of the problem this wont achieve what is within grasp of this being a better nintendoage. 

Please to god tell me people don't read that and feel the need to add a new way to say f**k you dane. gocollect, or whoever, and rant on and on about the perceived only great site for collecting that is simply not the case. 

This has me a bit bummed and while  I guess I understand i didnt think that so many of us would take the low road. For the very first time , I'm a bit ashamed of being  a NA alumn. 

Edited by Fryer64

Administrator · Posted

@Fryer64 I'll take a moment to address some of your concerns, much of which I think have been long ago addressed with time.

First, I'll be the first to also say that yes, absolutely those comments were disgusting, unnecessary, ridiculous, etc.  The staff members that transitioned and worked very hard on VGS, in NO way condoned or encouraged that horrible behavior, and we went out of our way to encourage members to focus on the positive, constructive growth of VGS instead of languishing about the events that occurred with NA.

Second, a lot of those comments are very old at this point - and occurred shortly after the transition which was years ago.

Third, while I don't want to minimize the extreme extent of those comments, they were from a VERY MINOR number of individuals, some of whom may have been active on NA and now here, or some who might even just be random trolls.  The overwhelming and VAST majority of members who moved here, engaged in no such behavior.  I hope the actions of very few do not form a reflection on VGS and the significant majority of great people here.

In summary, I don't think we have a problem here at VGS and I think we have a great community of people.  We've already BEEN working to make this place better and great - focusing on the positive aspects of the community - retaining what we liked about NA, while working on other areas to make it better.  

I am always open to hearing community concerns and admitting when we mess up or have problems, so I'm not defending VGS just for the sake of it.  I legitimately believe that our community has risen above the disgusting nonsense you are referring to - which, as I mentioned, was really just from the troll-like behavior of a very small number of people.

A few loud, negative and gross people, do NOT reflect on the whole of our community.  And myself and the staff here are very committed to growing VGS in positive ways, and would absolutely address any vile behavior that occurs here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

@Fryer64 I'll take a moment to address some of your concerns, much of which I think have been long ago addressed with time.

First, I'll be the first to also say that yes, absolutely those comments were disgusting, unnecessary, ridiculous, etc.  The staff members that transitioned and worked very hard on VGS, in NO way condoned or encouraged that horrible behavior, and we went out of our way to encourage members to focus on the positive, constructive growth of VGS instead of languishing about the events that occurred with NA.

Second, a lot of those comments are very old at this point - and occurred shortly after the transition which was years ago.

Third, while I don't want to minimize the extreme extent of those comments, they were from a VERY MINOR number of individuals, some of whom may have been active on NA and now here, or some who might even just be random trolls.  The overwhelming and VAST majority of members who moved here, engaged in no such behavior.  I hope the actions of very few do not form a reflection on VGS and the significant majority of great people here.

In summary, I don't think we have a problem here at VGS and I think we have a great community of people.  We've already BEEN working to make this place better and great - focusing on the positive aspects of the community - retaining what we liked about NA, while working on other areas to make it better.  

I am always open to hearing community concerns and admitting when we mess up or have problems, so I'm not defending VGS just for the sake of it.  I legitimately believe that our community has risen above the disgusting nonsense you are referring to - which, as I mentioned, was really just from the troll-like behavior of a very small number of people.

A few loud, negative and gross people, do NOT reflect on the whole of our community.  And myself and the staff here are very committed to growing VGS in positive ways, and would absolutely address any vile behavior that occurs here.

I believe that. I guess it was just pure shock. Vgs is a godsend and I referred some of my locals here. I believe in the site so much I even bought a shirt ^.^ things hit different when you read then late at night, and know forna fact VGS never endorsed any of that speech. 

My point was generally lets put our money where our mouth is and see nintendoage as a rather fine former site, but sage as the clear superior one. 

It also bothers me that gocollect seems to think it's ok to leave that stuff up, in this particular situation i was shocked they didn't do the basic and easy work of just deleting the threads, censorship sucks, but those comments look they they were made when people were drunk. 

I'm also aware and happy to not see that many familiar names in those posts, it would be difficult to do business with people who can say things like that and show no remorse.

Again, my message was, let's be better then that because imo in one year this site has come a crazy long way. One I'm proud to be a part of. 

I guess I should have known every community has its toxic members and ignored it, but it just was really sad to see. 

Edited by Fryer64

Administrator · Posted

I'll agree with you that some of the comments in there were just over-the-top, nasty, hateful, disgusting comments.  We should of course be better than that.  There is never a need to stoop to that level.

The part where I disagree, is I don't think the community has a problem.  Certainly not one that is pervasive.  A few trolls decided to act a fool in there, and then the dust settled long ago and no one really gives them much attention any more.  That behavior will not be tolerated here, as I stated.

We DID move on.  A while ago actually.  At least, 99% of people I suppose.

Anyway - I appreciate where you are coming from.  What I don't have a problem with, is calling out that horrible behavior and saying NO, that behavior is not ok, and there is never a reason for that.  So if this serves as another reflection point for people to evaluate that - then sure, this is constructive.

18 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I'll agree with you that some of the comments in there were just over-the-top, nasty, hateful, disgusting comments.  We should of course be better than that.  There is never a need to stoop to that level.

The part where I disagree, is I don't think the community has a problem.  Certainly not one that is pervasive.  A few trolls decided to act a fool in there, and then the dust settled long ago and no one really gives them much attention any more.  That behavior will not be tolerated here, as I stated.

We DID move on.  A while ago actually.  At least, 99% of people I suppose.

Anyway - I appreciate where you are coming from.  What I don't have a problem with, is calling out that horrible behavior and saying NO, that behavior is not ok, and there is never a reason for that.  So if this serves as another reflection point for people to evaluate that - then sure, this is constructive.

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

While I certainly won't try to defend those comments, I also don't understand how the comments of a few trolls from a long time ago on a different site translates to the community here having a problem.  I'm also a little confused why we are talking about in this thread.  

Amen to both of these sentiments.  From what I recall, the truly abhorrent comments came entirely from people who had previously been banned from NA but were allowed back in, with full privileges once the board was moved from its old software to the new one, where a ton of settings didn't translate and the new staff simply didn't care to bother with fixing any of it.  I, too, don't really think that there's any general issue within our community simply due to the fact that the offenders really weren't part of our community.  They had been ejected from our previous community, and with one or two exceptions (who I seem to recall getting fairly quickly banned here as well, something that surprised the daylights out of me given the new, better, feel of this place) still aren't part of our community.

So, as such, no issues within our community.  Sure, those types of comments are something to watch out for and guard against, but given the folks who actually make up this community, I don't think there's any sort of rot, sickness, etc., to truly have to worry about and certainly nothing to pin on all of the folks on here which were generated by a literal handful of previously banned (for good reason, it would seem) trolls and malcontents.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:43 AM, Tanooki said:
A short story(and warning) plus a request...

A week ago I did a best offer on ebay from Canada for PCE Bonk 2. It arrived today and in my over 20 years on ebay I've never had this happen before. Black mold. From the auction I saw nothing that would tip me off other than a bit of a wavy manual. Ultimately see the pictures. The guy refunded me, he's freaked out and worried as he's a new home buyer, the old owner was a storage flipper and they decided to sell what was salvageable.

He has jerseys, sega, tg16/pce stuff, etc. All sorts of things, and who knows what could be up. Ultimately the manual and top jewel case are destroyed, the reg card too all funked with black and brown mold, also rust from the staples.  I've done all the cleaning I can on the stuff and it won't come off the rear sticker, so right now it's just game+sleeve left.

And the request, if what I've retained is good, anyone got a spare PC Genjin 2 case+manual to RE-complete this? Thanks,.

genjin2mold1.jpg

genjin2mold2.jpg

That SUCKS! Super sorry to hear it. I hate mold almost as much as I hate roaches.

My strongest advice to everyone for the future; Invest in silica gel packs. You can buy a 50-pack bag or 100-pack bag for not that much money, probably much less than whatever you're going to pay to replace something that goes in your collection.

All you do is put a silica gel pack inside of every container that you use to hold game stuff (I use plastic containers myself). If it's a big container, put 2 or 3 in there. Don't feel like you have to hoard them, silica gel is cheap!

It's a great way to prevent moisture from forming in the places where you keep your precious commodities. As someone who has had an item or two in the past ruined by unexpected moisture, you absolutely cannot go wrong with good moisture control, and silica gel works. I'm sorry to everybody who has ever found out the hard way, as I have, that moisture is a natural enemy of paper, cardboard, and circuits. Don't even bother letting stuff sit without knowing. You can't prevent everything, but this is one solution that I find is reliable and worth your while.