IGNORED

Am I an RPG Terrorist?

Is Corey a Garbage person?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is Corey a Garbage person?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Delete all save files from newly purchased games?

• Clean it out
    • Keep ALL the remembrance of fun times past
    • Keep as long as a slot is free

Click bait. 

Everytime I sit down to play something with “save” files, like an RPG, my first step is to delete all existing save files. 

Gone forever, Timmy. Sorry your original file from a link to the past named “Assboobs”  that had 12 hearts and was stuck at Gannon because you are trash at video games has been stricken from the record.   Something about those three blank slots makes the game feel clean to me. 

Granted, I dont have any nostalgic game saves from when I was a kid or anything, no original save file that my grandpa helped me beat castlevania or anything. Maybe if I did I would feel different, but I have done the same thing for years. 

Told a guy at work today about it and he called me a terrorist, so I figured I would put it before the true gaming educated users here. 

Do you wipe out all save games when you pop in a pre-owned game?

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Haha 2

A long time ago I had an NES copy of Final Fantasy. By the time I reached the final dungeon I was preparing to face the final boss. My NES decided to claim that my save data was corrupted and it had to be deleted. 😑

Since then I never made a solid effort to beat the game. And after reading all of this, I am wondering I am wondering if this was proof that somebody at GoCollect used the Nintendo Age data as a means of testing time travel.

• Haha 1

I will sometimes play the previous owners file a little just to get a feel for the game and to get myself hyped by using some of the advanced spells in battles. RPGs sometimes have a slow start and I need to know there’s light at the end of the tunnel to get motivated 

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

Yes and yes imo XD

nah I really don’t care about other people’s old save files. However, I do have a kink for the GameCube Animal Crossing memory cards.

It’s a weird experience to load up some long forgotten village and romp around and have the villagers react to me. And kids usually put a lot of thought in arranging their homes and what not so it’s like taking a trip inside the brain of a 12 year old that has now outgrown all of this.

• Like 2

Yeah, I never even had emotional attachment to my old saves.  I always felt that if I enjoyed putting 200 hours in a game, if I ever wanted to come back to it in 10-20 years, I'm not looking to rush to the final boss from before and see the ending.  I mentioned this in "Bosses vs. Stages" discussion but the enjoyment is about the journey and not the destination, so I WANT to start over, plus if I really, really want to see the results of that 200 hours of game play, I can just play the game again for 200 hours.

And as Tulpa mentioned, if someone cherished a game enough to go 103% in DKC, why did they sell it?  Sorry, but that cart and data is mine and your old memories are using up a save state.  Oh, and let's not forget we should all, mostly, realize that this data is only temporary.  True, there are back up devices today, but these carts have 20-30 year old batteries in them, and it's only a matter of time before those memories go up in a puff of electrons when that battery dies.

All I'm doing when I delete that save state is resetting what was inevitable anyway.  Actually, I don't do this often because when I do play older games with a battery, I always replace the battery first anyway. So yeah, does the question even matter?

Administrator · Posted

I don't think this is even remotely a controversial subject.  I've never heard anyone complain about people removing saves before.  

I don't think I go out of my way to instantly delete them necessarily, but I'm sure I have before and have no problem doing so.  If I didn't delete saves, it's probably just because I missed it or hadn't needed to.

Social Team · Posted

Who would never save their games when they need to save?  I think it's a matter of do you want a clean/minimum number of saves?  For those who delete saves how do you feel about memory cards?  Do you wipe those even though it's a pain in the ass to delete each one and confirm the deletion.  That shit is too time consuming to do.

48 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Who would never save their games when they need to save?  I think it's a matter of do you want a clean/minimum number of saves?  For those who delete saves how do you feel about memory cards?  Do you wipe those even though it's a pain in the ass to delete each one and confirm the deletion.  That shit is too time consuming to do.

Yes.  It takes time, but when I pick up an OEM card I want to use, the first thing I do is boot it up and check out the save states.  They are all deleted.  It doesn't take THAT much time. 5 minutes, tops.

If there was more room I might keep them, but most older games never had more than 3 save files and we needed the room.  My brother and I would always want our own save files.  I was always the first save file since I was older.  My brother was always the second save file (and always Luigi). 

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's the one exception for me too. I have a Super Mario World cart that had a 96 star file on it so I left it on there.

Thats more what Dude was talking about, I chatted with him today. Like, if there was only one save file, with 103% (two open)

I still would delete the only one, he thinks its blasphemy! Lol