IGNORED

The 2022 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Administrator · Posted
20 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

First post in two months. Damn it's been a hell of a last two months. The only game I managed to find time to beat in that time was Demon's Tier +, which I beat in mid-April.

xLczAP5m.jpg

It was enjoyable and significantly easier than other "SHMUP-inspired" dungeon crawlers like Enter the Gungeon and Binding of Isaac. I actually played both of those before this game and ended up liking Demon's Tier + the most of the three. Also, thanks to the Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, and Steredenn, I now know that I dislike games centered on "runs" with tens or hundreds of random weapon or equipable "possibilities" that you lose after your run ends. Steredenn aside, I feel like those games are actively wasting my time until I unlock enough possibilities to start actually getting consistent runs. To me, they're like the cursed offspring of a mystery dungeon game (which I love) and a top-down action game (which I also love). Steredenn is a true SHMUP, but most of the ideas for weapons seemed...uninspired...or downright detrimental. I would have liked to see more of a standard weapon system, but the game is very unique. 

In Demon's Tier +, you still have the (light) "SHMUP-inspired" gameplay, but more traditional RPG elements. You have six characters to choose from, all of whom have different stats. As you progress in the dungeon and kill enemies, you get more and more of the game's main currency, which you can use to upgrade your character's stats at the end of each level and pay for better weapons and helpful items in the hub-world. If you die in the dungeon, you lose all your money, but not your weapon. It's good fun. It's more of a *gestures towards all the new terms for Dark Souls-esque games* type of game. Souls-like? Souls-lite? Roguelike? Roguelite? Who knows. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Anyway, due to unforseen events, I've spent the last month and change moving. I found a better place not far from where I was, but the saying "you don't know how much stuff you have until you move" is so apropos. As soon as everything gets back in order and my life settles down a bit, I do plan on continuing my backlog challenge. I'm thiiiiiis close to 100 games beaten this year, and I'd rather not squander that opportunity.

I enjoyed Demon's Tier + and even bothered to get the platinum trophy, but agree that it's definitely not particularly difficult, nor deep. Also my thoughts on Steredenn basically mirror yours. We're not so different, you and I.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
On 5/24/2022 at 1:23 AM, Sumez said:

Still seems like PR to me though, but if you don't want to discuss games on a game discussion forum, I'll respect that. 😄

I honestly just thought the game was much more in line with the classic games than how it was initially portrayed from early trailers, and feels like a very natural evolution of the series. Progression is mostly linear, with the same focus on switching between clearing the room of dudes and light puzzle solving, and

Hide contents

once Kratos gets his blades back, combat pretty much plays the same as well

The only real difference is that they'd run out of Greek gods to murder. 🙂 

Just saw this cuz you didn't @ or quote me. 😧

I totally agree regarding the PR thing, and all I meant was that I wasn't exactly being onerous in my attention to the specific words I used to describe the game. Happy to discuss the game aspect of course. 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I enjoyed Demon's Tier + and even bothered to get the platinum trophy, but agree that it's definitely not particularly difficult, nor deep. Also my thoughts on Steredenn basically mirror yours. We're not so different, you and I.

I planned on going for the platinum prior to moving, and I might still do it. I only need to beat it on the hardest difficulty to get it. 

You know what? Yeah. I'll do that. That'll be the first thing I do when I get some time between work and shuttling stuff between the old and new place. That gives me something to look forward to when it's all done. Thanks man.

• Like 1

OHHHH BANANA!

200th Golden Banana:

dk64pic1.jpg.7bfc620f25c624280cedae0c497a8eb0.jpg

The Rareware (201st) Golden Banana:

dk64pic2.jpg.3bd38c51405eca5dc265d40d4b5001a5.jpg

Chunky Kong defeats King K. Rool:

dk64pic3.jpg.f1882c11c983407d1416e60a1c871949.jpg

Auditioning for a DK game for what would become one of the most underrated (and one of the best) Nintendo consoles: 

dk64pic4.jpg.c6bfb692231b14610b8b38547b4eaf1e.jpg

101% complete: 

dk64pic5.jpg.6734f2bcdc9a6086ed5b6fb442f89281.jpg

Donkey Kong 64 is another game I've beaten many times before. Even 20 or so years ago, I was able to beat it because I rented it so many times. But only recently did I get all of the items required for the secret ending. I got every Golden Banana, Banana Medal, the Nintendo and Rareware Coins, Krown, Fairy, and, of course, the Keys. All I missed were a few regular Bananas and Coins, but they aren't required to get the secret ending.

I had a ton of fun playing this game when I was a kid, and even had friends over to play the multiplayer modes. And it is still nice to play once in a while as an adult, but wow...this game is chock full of glitches, and some of the mini-games are extremely frustrating. There's one mini-game in particular that is pure frustration and no fun, and I'm sure most people who have played this game know about it so I probably don't need to mention it. But I will anyway: Beaver Bother. I literally spent over an hour getting the Golden Banana for the Beaver Bother mini-game in Creepy Castle. When the Kongs grab ledges, sometimes they get stuck or if they pull themselves up they might drop down and grab the ledge again. There's that cabin or lodge area in Crystal Caves where you have to play the Kongs' instruments to open the doors. I went into Diddy's room and beat all the enemies with two seconds left on the timer. I should've gotten the Golden Banana, but because the game apparently needs a few seconds to realize that I beat all the enemies in the room I had to try again. Lanky's part of the battle against K.Rool seems a bit harder than I remember. After pressing a button (the buttons that appear shortly after the round starts), sometimes he doesn't pick up the barrel that appears and then you have to press the button again which wastes time. K.Rool is also likely to bump into you if you can't pick up the barrel and move. I ran into a similar situation as Diddy Kong in Crystal Caves during Chunky Kong's part of the K.Rool battle: Chunky punched K.Rool for the fourth time, but it didn't count because time ran out. I seriously don't remember that happening when I was younger, but then again I was probably a little better at playing the game than I am now. But really, since I hit him right before time ran out, it should've counted.

But it is still pretty good game, and it was easily one of my favorite N64 games when I was a kid (and still is, despite its flaws). It was worth finding the rest of the items just for the Audition part of the secret ending alone. If the game is released on the Switch via the Switch Online Expansion Pack, I wouldn't mind playing the multiplayer modes on a future VGS game night.

I visited Nintendo's Donkey Kong 64 site a lot and printed many of the pages. A couple years ago, I even had a chance to play one of the site's flash games (via Internet Archive) a little before flash was discontinued. In 2000 or so, I remember finding a Disney Adventures book which included a Donkey Kong 64 comic (as well as other video game comics). Around 2003, I came across the Hot Newz 64 VHS tape at a used game store which I was excited about buying since I had (and still have) and really liked the N64 launch tape that was given away with Nintendo Power. All of this stuff brings back some fun memories from 20 or so years ago.

dk64andpmwebsiteprintings.jpg.09a7428992feb60bf13e4fbbacb5694f.jpg

n64vhstapes.jpg.439c5a8671093778580794f0624ac4d2.jpg

disneyadventurespic1.jpg.58fdfac0aa63a6b4978f1616feaeaa79.jpg

disneyadventurespic2.jpg.a5a0a2ff84c40f4175702837be5da2dc.jpg

dk64soundtrackpic1.jpg.4f48cebd075f148c6a24e3e8910aeaa8.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
24 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

OHHHH BANANA!

200th Golden Banana:

dk64pic1.jpg.7bfc620f25c624280cedae0c497a8eb0.jpg

The Rareware (201st) Golden Banana:

dk64pic2.jpg.3bd38c51405eca5dc265d40d4b5001a5.jpg

Chunky Kong defeats King K. Rool:

dk64pic3.jpg.f1882c11c983407d1416e60a1c871949.jpg

Auditioning for a DK game for what would become one of the most underrated (and one of the best) Nintendo consoles: 

dk64pic4.jpg.c6bfb692231b14610b8b38547b4eaf1e.jpg

101% complete: 

dk64pic5.jpg.6734f2bcdc9a6086ed5b6fb442f89281.jpg

Donkey Kong 64 is another game I've beaten many times before. Even 20 or so years ago, I was able to beat it because I rented it so many times. But only recently did I get all of the items required for the secret ending. I got every Golden Banana, Banana Medal, the Nintendo and Rareware Coins, Krown, Fairy, and, of course, the Keys. All I missed were a few regular Bananas and Coins, but they aren't required to get the secret ending.

I had a ton of fun playing this game when I was a kid, and even had friends over to play the multiplayer modes. And it is still nice to play once in a while as an adult, but wow...this game is chock full of glitches, and some of the mini-games are extremely frustrating. There's one mini-game in particular that is pure frustration and no fun, and I'm sure most people who have played this game know about it so I probably don't need to mention it. But I will anyway: Beaver Bother. I literally spent over an hour getting the Golden Banana for the Beaver Bother mini-game in Creepy Castle. When the Kongs grab ledges, sometimes they get stuck or if they pull themselves up they might drop down and grab the ledge again. There's that cabin or lodge area in Crystal Caves where you have to play the Kongs' instruments to open the doors. I went into Diddy's room and beat all the enemies with two seconds left on the timer. I should've gotten the Golden Banana, but because the game apparently needs a few seconds to realize that I beat all the enemies in the room I had to try again. Lanky's part of the battle against K.Rool seems a bit harder than I remember. After pressing a button (the buttons that appear shortly after the round starts), sometimes he doesn't pick up the barrel that appears and then you have to press the button again which wastes time. K.Rool is also likely to bump into you if you can't pick up the barrel and move. I ran into a similar situation as Diddy Kong in Crystal Caves during Chunky Kong's part of the K.Rool battle: Chunky punched K.Rool for the fourth time, but it didn't count because time ran out. I seriously don't remember that happening when I was younger, but then again I was probably a little better at playing the game than I am now. But really, since I hit him right before time ran out, it should've counted.

But it is still pretty good game, and it was easily one of my favorite N64 games when I was a kid (and still is, despite its flaws). It was worth finding the rest of the items just for the Audition part of the secret ending alone. If the game is released on the Switch via the Switch Online Expansion Pack, I wouldn't mind playing the multiplayer modes on a future VGS game night.

I visited Nintendo's Donkey Kong 64 site a lot and printed many of the pages. A couple years ago, I even had a chance to play one of the site's flash games (via Internet Archive) a little before flash was discontinued, which brought back some fun memories from 20 or so years ago.

dk64andpmwebsiteprintings.jpg.09a7428992feb60bf13e4fbbacb5694f.jpg

n64vhstapes.jpg.439c5a8671093778580794f0624ac4d2.jpg

dk64soundtrackpic1.jpg.4f48cebd075f148c6a24e3e8910aeaa8.jpg

Make sure you post in the N64 thread, we've not beaten DK64 yet this year!

• Like 2

Started Tales of Graces f. First impressions are pretty good so far. I like how they made titles more important by having special moved be branched off from them rather than just an oddball thing to collect. Seems like a linear adventure so far, which isn't a bad thing, but I am hoping for quality fast travel and/or a world map. The main characters start as children and are all pretty likable, so watching them grow up should be interesting.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, twiztor said:

i don't know why i love that "change the system" vhs as much as i do, but i watched that dozens of times as a kid and still have the tape to this day.

So many times. I was definitely the target demographic because that tape RESONATED with me.

7 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

It doesn't count, though, since I continued a save file I've had for years instead of starting a new one.

Just fire it up again!

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

i don't know why i love that "change the system" vhs as much as i do, but i watched that dozens of times as a kid and still have the tape to this day.

More accurately it should read "add the system" as both the SNES and N64 manual/box did in fact encourage you to have your NES and SNES (and later N64) connected together by daisy chaining the RF Switches or even better, use AV or S-video cables for one or more.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

More accurately it should read "add the system" as both the SNES and N64 manual/box did in fact encourage you to have your NES and SNES (and later N64) connected together by daisy chaining the RF Switches or even better, use AV or S-video cables for one or more.

Interesting, you have a reference to that, or was it in the manuals?  I've never noticed the N64 referencing the NES.  Lol.

Sam & Max Save the World - Beaten 25/5

My first impression breaking into this new Sam & Max game was a pleasant surprise at how well they managed to recapture the tone of the original game. Being based Steve Purcell's barely utilized comic book characters, that game always felt like just one story out of what should have been an endless set of saturday morning style adventures, so even though it was never my favourite LucasArts adventure game (it's probably my least favourite, but still a fun game) it's regrettable that it never got its original sequel.

But that's pretty much exactly what Telltale took up with this game, folding it into the "episodic" style of releases that has basically been their whole thing since... well, since this game. On paper it fits the premise well - Sam & Max solve a bunch of minor cases, meeting a bunch of characters, until it all comes together in a final showdown that includes most of those characters.

RBL4Pv2.png

Here's the unfortunate issue with that approach, though. The puzzles in the game are actually mostly well designed. There's a strange but sound logic to them, that often only makes sense when you figure it out, and you're often given vague hints based on your actions or examination of objects. It's basically the classic Point 'n Click Adventure formula as I wouldn't have dared hope for.
But since each invididual episode is restricted to only six or so locations (as in, individual screens) and start with a nearly empty inventory, your options are always so limited that every single step of progression feels like the first few simple steps in any other adventure game, and this game never manages to evolve past that. There's no opening up the map to more expansive discovery, or clever setups and payoffs of mechanics or items established earlier in the game. Outside of a very vague continuing thread between episodes, everything is completely self contained within the episode it appears in.

I did get stuck a couple of times, but pretty much every single time it was due to me overlooking an obvious item I should have interacted with, it was never due to me just not figuring out a solution or overlooking possibilities - because the game simply doesn't have enough "elbow room" to really put you into that situation in the first place. Most of the time you feel like you are just doing what the game wants you to do, because you have few other options.
Solving a puzzle in the game is almost never satisfying, which is probably the biggest strike against it as an adventure game. 

The humor was pure unedited Sam & Max style writing though, for better or worse. I laughed out at a few of the jokes, and generally enjoyed the rest. It never reaches Tim Schafer or Ron Gilbert level though, and the format becomes incredibly predictable within a few minutes of playing.
Sam and Max both know they are clichés, but feel very comfortable being there - there's just a limit to how many times you'll find the mentioning of Max going something crazy and violent in the past particularly funny.

nt8Iut1.jpg?1

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Sam & Max Save the World - Beaten 25/5

My first impression breaking into this new Sam & Max game was a pleasant surprise at how well they managed to recapture the tone of the original game. Being based Steve Purcell's barely utilized comic book characters, that game always felt like just one story out of what should have been an endless set of saturday morning style adventures, so even though it was never my favourite LucasArts adventure game (it's probably my least favourite, but still a fun game) it's regrettable that it never got its original sequel.

But that's pretty much exactly what Telltale took up with this game, folding it into the "episodic" style of releases that has basically been their whole thing since... well, since this game. On paper it fits the premise well - Sam & Max solve a bunch of minor cases, meeting a bunch of characters, until it all comes together in a final showdown that includes most of those characters.

RBL4Pv2.png

Here's the unfortunate issue with that approach, though. The puzzles in the game are actually mostly well designed. There's a strange but sound logic to them, that often only makes sense when you figure it out, and you're often given vague hints based on your actions or examination of objects. It's basically the classic Point 'n Click Adventure formula as I wouldn't have dared hope for.
But since each invididual episode is restricted to only six or so locations (as in, individual screens) and start with a nearly empty inventory, your options are always so limited that every single step of progression feels like the first few simple steps in any other adventure game, and this game never manages to evolve past that. There's no opening up the map to more expansive discovery, or clever setups and payoffs of mechanics or items established earlier in the game. Outside of a very vague continuing thread between episodes, everything is completely self contained within the episode it appears in.

I did get stuck a couple of times, but pretty much every single time it was due to me overlooking an obvious item I should have interacted with, it was never due to me just not figuring out a solution or overlooking possibilities - because the game simply doesn't have enough "elbow room" to really put you into that situation in the first place. Most of the time you feel like you are just doing what the game wants you to do, because you have few other options.
Solving a puzzle in the game is almost never satisfying, which is probably the biggest strike against it as an adventure game. 

The humor was pure unedited Sam & Max style writing though, for better or worse. I laughed out at a few of the jokes, and generally enjoyed the rest. It never reaches Tim Schafer or Ron Gilbert level though, and the format becomes incredibly predictable within a few minutes of playing.
Sam and Max both know they are clichés, but feel very comfortable being there - there's just a limit to how many times you'll find the mentioning of Max going something crazy and violent in the past particularly funny.

nt8Iut1.jpg?1

But Sam Sumez, you don't even like girls! 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:53 PM, Splain said:

I finished Origami King and I'm finally on the board. I'm happy with this game, I'm surprised at some of the storyline decisions they made. The battles were annoying, but when I go back to try and "quickly" grab some of the stuff I missed, battles have now magically become SUPER ANNOYING++ and I wonder if I can survive to 100%. Solid game though. So many paper jokes. So many. Don't play for the challenge, play for the charming Mario experience.

c7n27LU.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it! I'd echo pretty much everything you said. Story is quirky, funny, and super charming, but the combat is just so painful. It would probably be a solid 9/10 game for me if it had traditional combat, but instead it's more like a 6 or 7. It's still miles ahead of Sticker Star on 3DS (*shudder*) though.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Dead Space (Xbox 360, Normal)
Score: 8/10

Reliving Dead Space - Nerd Farm

I had always wanted to play this game, but for whatever reason never got around to it until last October and then earlier this year. Despite being a bit long in the tooth, I really enjoyed this one. The atmosphere (or lack thereof... sorry) is fantastic and gives off strong Alien vibes in a more modern setting. Characters themselves are bit light on personality, but they suffice to advance the somewhat convoluted plot.

dFMS6d2.jpg

While the game looks great, I'd argue that the most impressive part of the package is the actual gameplay. Dismembering alien creatures never gets old and there are always new ways to cause carnage as you progress. Most of the weapons are fun to use and the Plasma Cutter has to go down as one of the all-time best guns in any game yet. One of the coolest features is the use of gravity boots in low-gravity areas, letting you jump from surface to surface to avoid enemies and wreak havoc.

Gx3XjyB.jpg

As you can see from these screenshots, the game holds up immensely well from a visual standpoint and the presentation is fantastic. The HUD is completely self-contained within Isaac's armor (in the screenshot above you can see the health bar along the spine, O2 timer on the upper back, circular gauge with red bar for stasis, and ammo counter above the weapon). Monsters are appropriately creepy, weapons have nice effects, and environments are well-designed, if a bit limited in scope by their claustrophobic, spaceship setting. Overall, I really enjoyed this one and look forward to kicking more alien butt in the sequels and hope to get my pants scared off with the remake. As long as they keep the Plasma Cutter, I'll be good to go.

JhSbNrO.jpg

Any other Dead Space lovers out there?

I also finished The Ascent last month, but that writeup will have to wait for another day. Right now I'm working off-list with Trek to Yomi and then plan to start Ratchet and Clank or Ghost of Tsushima on PS5.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah I really dig it.  Have the while trilogy, but only played through the first 2.  Maybe some day...

I'm definitely going to try to get through the sequels in the next year and maybe save the remake for next Halloween. Either way, I'm excited to have found a new franchise I really enjoy.

Administrator · Posted
On 6/3/2022 at 12:59 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Dead Space (Xbox 360, Normal)
Score: 8/10

Reliving Dead Space - Nerd Farm

I had always wanted to play this game, but for whatever reason never got around to it until last October and then earlier this year. Despite being a bit long in the tooth, I really enjoyed this one. The atmosphere (or lack thereof... sorry) is fantastic and gives off strong Alien vibes in a more modern setting. Characters themselves are bit light on personality, but they suffice to advance the somewhat convoluted plot.

dFMS6d2.jpg

While the game looks great, I'd argue that the most impressive part of the package is the actual gameplay. Dismembering alien creatures never gets old and there are always new ways to cause carnage as you progress. Most of the weapons are fun to use and the Plasma Cutter has to go down as one of the all-time best guns in any game yet. One of the coolest features is the use of gravity boots in low-gravity areas, letting you jump from surface to surface to avoid enemies and wreak havoc.

Gx3XjyB.jpg

As you can see from these screenshots, the game holds up immensely well from a visual standpoint and the presentation is fantastic. The HUD is completely self-contained within Isaac's armor (in the screenshot above you can see the health bar along the spine, O2 timer on the upper back, circular gauge with red bar for stasis, and ammo counter above the weapon). Monsters are appropriately creepy, weapons have nice effects, and environments are well-designed, if a bit limited in scope by their claustrophobic, spaceship setting. Overall, I really enjoyed this one and look forward to kicking more alien butt in the sequels and hope to get my pants scared off with the remake. As long as they keep the Plasma Cutter, I'll be good to go.

JhSbNrO.jpg

Any other Dead Space lovers out there?

I also finished The Ascent last month, but that writeup will have to wait for another day. Right now I'm working off-list with Trek to Yomi and then plan to start Ratchet and Clank or Ghost of Tsushima on PS5.

Dead Space is phenomenal, though I've only played 1 and 2. 3 having a multiplayer focus didn't appeal to me so I never played it. 1 and 2 though are up there in the "masterpiece" category in my brain. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Holy crap that's on the Switch for a couple bucks.  Always loved King of the Monsters.

Yep it is on switch

My cousin and I were trying to work on Luigis Mansion which we started together last year.  After about a floor and half, the drinks and cookies were catching up to us and needed something with less thinking and more Monster brawling XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1