IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I finally decided to try out and see if I like Witcher 3, juries out at this rate.  The camera and control are a little strange, but I'm slowly warming to it, seems the consequence of death is a small amount of coin (it's not half is it??)  I need to figure out a few annoyances with item repair without finding in some military area a smithy, among of a few more things like the alchemy that looks confusing.

Oh and Cali it's not so much the length, it's the size that'll get ya.

cover10.jpg

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 11:54 PM, sg17 said:

Recently tried to play f-zero gx, and I'm surprised that my controller is still intact and not smashed to pieces on the wall. The story mode ridiculously impossible to finish.

But honestly, great game. It really exceeded my expectations, and I expected quite a lot.  Only thing I wish is that it had the soundtrack from f-zero x on the n64.

Update a week later:

Tried more, but finally rage quit. 😫😫😫😫🤬🤬

This game should be a benchmark for sadism.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, Inzoreno said:

I finished up an evil playthrough of Sundered on the PS4. I didn't really like that game too well, so don't know if I will try a to get the good ending later. Moving on to Return of the Obra Dinn. 

I really enjoyed Sundered, even though it has some weaknesses. Loved the music. If you're going for the "pure" or "good" ending, it's a pain! especially the final boss...

7 hours ago, avatar! said:

I really enjoyed Sundered, even though it has some weaknesses. Loved the music. If you're going for the "pure" or "good" ending, it's a pain! especially the final boss...

My main problem was the lack of either save points or teleportation. The game can be a bit of a slog when you have to run through the same areas over and over again after a death, especially if you die to a boss. 

13 minutes ago, Inzoreno said:

My main problem was the lack of either save points or teleportation. The game can be a bit of a slog when you have to run through the same areas over and over again after a death, especially if you die to a boss. 

Yeah, I think I almost quit at one point but decided to continue playing. Really enjoyed the music, did I mention that 🙂
Definitely had its flaws, but overall more enjoyable than many AAA games, although not as good as other indie games of the same genre. I give it a solid 4/5 stars.

Edited by avatar!

Playing Revenge of Shinobi. I heard people say this was good, I had no idea, it's excellent. I am maybe 10 hours in and on level 4. Took me a while to get all the moves, but now I feel pretty comfortable.

The more Genesis/Mega Drive platformers I play the closer connection I see to the Nes. I keep counting more games where you have to memorize the levels and be precise in your movements which was my fav. draw of Nes games. This is true sometimes on the Snes, but I don't think the the same as the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Edited by Californication

36 minutes ago, Vectrex28 said:

Ooooh PC Engine version?

Yup, it's pretty good too. The mechanics are interesting and give you something to think about. 

Only negatives so far are the bullets are a little annoying and you hear them more than music and the magic is so difficult to use, I haven't been able to use it effectively.

• 2 weeks later...

I played up to 13-3 on Colecovision Q*Bert tonight.  I was expecting some sort of end screen hurrah after level 11 as that is how the Arcade and NES versions work so I was surprised at first that it just kept going.  

I was playing Q*Berts Qubes earlier as well, which also goes up to Level 11.  In that game you get a standard selection of 1-8 after the title screen that corresponds to Levels 1-4 one player and the same thing (5-8 = levels 1-4) two player.

In Q*bert the selection is 1-6 which is: 1-3 = Easy/Medium/Hard One Player and 4-6 = Easy/Medium/Hard Two Player (starting level 1 either way.)  So I realized I was playing on Easy which wasn't really too surprising as it was significantly less difficult than any other version I've played.  Kind of nice actually to have that.  I don't know that any other port of Q*bert has a difficulty select.

Anywho's, I ended on 13-3 (although the level counter just keeps showing 9 once you hit level 10 which is a common occurence with games of this vintage) and a score of 399,400.

Just tell me the program wasn't trying to tease me with that score...

Q*Bert 13-3 : 399,400.png

• Wow! 1

Skullmonkeys - I almost 1 CC'd this, but the last world is a real PITA (granted, I'd be kind of disappointed if it wasn't).  I think I was let down a bit by this game in the past, as the gameplay doesn't quite live up to the brilliance of the graphics/soundtrack, but once you accept it for the challenging no frills platformer that it is, it's pretty solid.  For anyone potentially playing it, I'd probably also mention that it peaks in difficulty around the middle ( a world/section called Deathgarden ), so if you can manage to get past that it levels off afterwards.

Just started playing through the revamped Wolfenstein series on XBox Gamepass (awesome service, by the way).  I just finished The Old Blood and I am now playing The New Order.  Liking them thus far.  I am looking forward to playing Young Blood, as it is a 2-player COOP campaign, and I already informed my wife I need her help destroying more Nazi scum!

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumer said:

Just started playing through the revamped Wolfenstein series on XBox Gamepass (awesome service, by the way).  I just finished The Old Blood and I am now playing The New Order.  Liking them thus far.  I am looking forward to playing Young Blood, as it is a 2-player COOP campaign, and I already informed my wife I need her help destroying more Nazi scum!

Youngblood is different, just a heads up.  Instead of a linear campaign you do missions in the same few areas repeatedly.

• Thanks 1

Yoshi's Island! I didn't get into it when I played a friend's copy when it was contemporary. I've bounced off of it maybe a couple more times over the decades. I always seem to play it for about an hour then never return. Like, I think it's fine? It's just never hooked me at all, unlike the SMW and the NES Mario games. But, I've finished lots of stuff that is a far worse than fine, so I'm going to finish this one this week. Maybe I'll turn around on it.

Persona 3! Finished it when it was a new release. Replaying for the first time since then - a little over halfway through. It's a good time, and it's helping me clarify my thoughts on what I didn't like about Persona 5 in comparison.

10 hours ago, BitsAndGlory said:

Been ripping through the NES/Famicom Final Fantasy's for the last two months. Final Fantasy & Final Fantasy II are down, currently going through Final Fantasy III. Been enjoying it a lot so far! A bit streamlined (at least up until the point I'm at), but fun.

Between FF I, II, and III (I assume these are all the 8-bit versions) which one have you enjoyed the most?