IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Been playing Raiden V (PS4), Battle Garegga (PS4), and Pocky and Rocky 2 this week.

I've had the two shmups for a bit and was initially underwhelmed when I tested and I shelved them. I'm not sure why I didn't like them at first, but they are both excellent games. There is a complexity in both games that takes a bit to get used to. I am still learning the rules of both, but they are solid keepers.

Pocky and Rocky 2 is a lot different from the first game. PR1 is a pick up and play although mechanics must be learned and the levels are designed perfectly for the games mechanics. PR2 seems like a mixture of PR1 and Mystical Ninja and they nixed the dash mechanic from PR1 inexchange for having trailing partners. Pretty sure it's going to be a solid game, especially after bumping up the difficulty, but I still need to learn how to use the teammates properly.

• Like 1

Still working on The Last of Us which hasn't really managed to suck me in like I hoped it would. Made minimal progress in Monkey Island 2, but the real joy is the dialogue, which is hilarious. As for multiplayer, a little Apex Legends, Outriders, Sackboy, and Super Mario 3D World.

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Resident Evil 8: Village on PS5. Early on so no judgement yet besides it is definitely a resident evil game. 

Fuckin save typewriters

I cant imagine playing a current gen resident evil. 

The images ive seen make it look horrifying and I cant stand jump scares. Played the first one when it came it out and scared the shit out of me, never looked back. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

The images ive seen make it look horrifying and I cant stand jump scares. Played the first one when it came it out and scared the shit out of me, never looked back. 

Yeah probably stay away from this one lol

43 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I'm honestly not scared by jump scares. The first scare in the game, sure maybe that will get you. After that, it's all "ho-hum"... psychological horrors on the other hand will really get you and those are the best! Can't say I've met many that really stand out, and in fact most games people call "psychological horrors" are anything but... although two that readily come to mind are

Silent Hill (the first one)
Clock Tower (first two)

Of modern games, probably the best in a long time was

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

which was honestly not particularly "scary" but very well done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I can totally relate. I mean, as a kid even the redeads in Ocarina of Time on the n64 were a bit more then I can handle lol.

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

I'm honestly not scared by jump scares. The first scare in the game, sure maybe that will get you. After that, it's all "ho-hum"... psychological horrors on the other hand will really get you and those are the best! Can't say I've met many that really stand out, and in fact most games people call "psychological horrors" are anything but... although two that readily come to mind are

Silent Hill (the first one)
Clock Tower (first two)

Of modern games, probably the best in a long time was

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

which was honestly not particularly "scary" but very well done.

For me it's not even the jump scares themselves, more like that I just hate the feeling of constantly anticipating the jump scares.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I'm playing Resident Evil as well, but on PC. Enjoying it so far. Nothing scary, but I love the characters, which is typical of Resident Evil. 

Certain bits so far are giving me a "we played Outlast 2 and wanna rip it off" vibes, but I can get over that as I love the Outlast games. Specific story beats though that didn't make much sense in that game, copy pasted here, and it still doesn't make sense. 

I won't say anything to avoid spoilers, suffice to say that your character takes a severe beating in cutscenes and overall doesn't seem all that scathed by it. 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:35 AM, Gloves said:

I'm playing Resident Evil as well, but on PC. Enjoying it so far. Nothing scary, but I love the characters, which is typical of Resident Evil. 

Certain bits so far are giving me a "we played Outlast 2 and wanna rip it off" vibes, but I can get over that as I love the Outlast games. Specific story beats though that didn't make much sense in that game, copy pasted here, and it still doesn't make sense. 

I won't say anything to avoid spoilers, suffice to say that your character takes a severe beating in cutscenes and overall doesn't seem all that scathed by it. 

I'm playing RE8 on casual and will play every single future RE game on casual as well. So much more fun when you aren't constantly out of ammo

31 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I'm playing RE8 on casual and will play every single future RE game on casual as well. So much more fun when you aren't constantly out of ammo

So am I. Playing through RE 1 HD on casual. You still get the jump scares but it’s a more relaxed playthrough.

Can you drop me a link to that on Steam?  There have been so many reisuues, remasters, HD this and that I've lost track and gave up paying attention.

Is this the RE title that showed up I guess what 2 years ago now, as RE2 was last year?  I've been curious, but hesitant because the old games have utterly garbage control and cameras, moon logic puzzle bullshit for puzzles that made no sense at all, and then the grossly limited amount of ammo and health given what the zombies and stuff would do, or resurrect and do, it sucked every care out of myself to bother.  Love the ambiance, the story cheese, and the rest, so I'd watch someone else put up with it online if I had to.  Tried them on N64(RE2), Dreamcast, then Gamecube, then stopped bothering.

Playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward on 3DS.

I preferred 999 on DS honestly. This sequel does what sequels often do: turn what made the first one special into a "here we go again" gimmick. This isn't often a problem, for example I liked all the Phoenix Wright games, but there's a horror element to the "Nonary Game", after the first entry in the series the mystery is all but gone so I really can't care as much about a different group going through a similar ordeal. 

However, it's still fun to solve the puzzles in the various escape rooms and I will also come back to chose different paths just to see all the rooms. I guess I'm less invested in the story and I'm playing the game mechanically, which is cool also. I like it enough to also want to track down a copy of Zero Time Dilemma when I'm done with this.

If you didn't like where VLR took the concept from 999, Zero Time Dilemma will only be a further downgrade. In fact, it really is no matter how you look at it. For everything 999 did that made it feel exciting and unique, ZTD just reduces it to a soulless formula that's hard to be invested in at all. I was looking forward to that game so much, and it really disappointed me. 😞

Edited by Sumez

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

If you didn't like where VLR took the concept from 999, Zero Time Dilemma will only be a further downgrade. In fact, it really is no matter how you look at it. For everything 999 did that made it feel exciting and unique, ZTD just reduces it to a soulless formula that's hard to be invested in at all. I was looking forward to that game so much, and it really disappointed me. 😞

Yeah it's that thing were right off the bat you're greeted with tedious exposition scenes from the villain and the tutorial portion feels too uh... tutorially (lol).  

But I like I said I enjoy the escape rooms even if the story is going to heck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The full list of what I'm playing can be found in the backlog thread, but I've got four games I'm playing consistently right now.

It Takes Two (XSX) is a great coop game with a lot of mixed genre stuff. It's mostly an action platformer but they sprinkle in a lot of quality minigames and puzzle solving which actually adds to the fun.

Outriders (XSX): Game is still buggy but better than on release. I'm playing as a Devastator which still feels underpowered. You die so fast that it's hard to actually tank damage. I wouldn't recommend playing alone, but it's a blast with two buddies.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch): This is a nice little diversion for those shorter game sessions. The puzzles are simple but usually pretty fun. I will say that the levels are probably a bit too easy and it's annoying that you can't see secondary goals prior to starting a level. The levels just aren't interesting enough that I want to replay them just to collect five extra coins.

Psychonauts (Xbox): Just started this one last night in preparation for the sequel later this year. It's got tons of style and the writing is classic Double Fine/Tim Schafer. Gameplay feels surprisingly solid and the game looks really nice in 4k with the One X enhancements. This is a big time backlog game so it will be great to knock it off the list.