IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

Just now, jonebone said:

Respectfully, you haven't if you thought 60 was a good number.  You haven't watched much at all then.

Respectfully, the HA data is searchable right now- 16 total wata grades. Though they don't specify between PC and red label, price charting tracks back quite a ways and those numbers aren't even close to your assumption. Just because you don't want to believe these games are rare doesn't make it true.

21 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

A PSA 10 michael jordan rookie sells for 200k

A PSA 9 SELLS FOR 20k

Difference is there are more than 300 psa 10s. There's only 2 known 9.8a++ Mario 64. Lower graded copies of the same game average between 10k-50k. Unless we see 298 more Mario 64 9.8a++, which I believe is unlikely, the price tag for this game in this condition will continue to increase.

I know nothing about those cards, but as the person above said, this is Mario 64. An important game for sure, but not this important. Like, again I know nothing about those cards, but this is like Mario’s 5th  (6th if you count Yoshi’s Island) or so mainline game, on Nintendo’s least popular console, not verifiably first print or anything either, 11 years after SMB1, released measly 25 years ago, and it’s already worth half the value of most reveared and valued comic book collectable that is over 80 years old? I just think the magnitude of the sale is way off.

Edited by Aatos
  • Like 1

Just now, Gulag Joe said:

Respectfully, the HA data is searchable right now- 16 total wata grades. Though they don't specify between PC and red label, price charting tracks back quite a ways and those numbers aren't even close to your assumption. Just because you don't want to believe these games are rare doesn't make it true.

@RH mentioned in another thread that WATA have graded at least 69 sealed Mario 64's, according to the recent data scraping on their website. You are factually incorrect.

Just because you want to believe these games are rare doesn't make it true. 😉

4 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Respectfully, the HA data is searchable right now- 16 total wata grades.

I thought VGA was grading these when Wata founders were literally still in school, what about them?

Edited by Aatos

7 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

1996, Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Game Cartridge, Super Mario 64, NTSC:
U95+(1), U95(2), 95(4), U90(3), 90+(4), 90(14), 85+(12), 85(14), 80+(5), 80(1), 75+(2).

There's 62 from VGA, as of 4 January 2016.  All "red label" and by the way, I've collected N64 since before that was even a terminology.  Never heard that phrase until 2019, it was always called "Non-PC" or "1st print" in collecting groups.

Your pumping Wata pops and using Wata terminology so that tells me all I need to know.  There's countless raws out there too, hence why my number was in the several hundreds confirmed, and easily so.
Edited by jonebone
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AdamW said:

That doesn't really hold up, though. Most countries don't have a "wealth tax". You're not getting taxed anything at all just for having a lot of money. In most places you get taxed on income and transfers of money (sales taxes, property transfer taxes, those kinds of things). If all you want to do with $1.5m is leave it alone and not pay any tax on it, you can hold it in an account at any bank you like. (And take out loans against it if you want).

Preferential treatment of capital gains is a reason to put your money in assets you think might appreciate, but of course that would require that it actually does appreciate. Which doesn't really gel with the vague "money laundering" idea that keeps getting thrown out. I still haven't seen a convincing explanation of how exactly anyone would be laundering money through expensive video game purchases where there is a record (held by HA) of the identity of both buyer and seller that would be perfectly simple for enforcement authorities to access.

If you do a quick search on Google for money laundering through art, you'll see countless examples of how it works. I'm not saying this happened here necessarily, but it's certainly possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OptOut said:

@RH mentioned in another thread that WATA have graded at least 69 sealed Mario 64's, according to the recent data scraping on their website. You are factually incorrect.

Just because you want to believe these games are rare doesn't make it true. 😉

69 copies that are not differentiated by players choice or red label does not make me factualy incorrect. Assuming that there are 500 sealed red label copies out there with every bit of evidence pointing to that not being the case is factually incorrect.

13 minutes ago, jonebone said:
1996, Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Game Cartridge, Super Mario 64, NTSC:
U95+(1), U95(2), 95(4), U90(3), 90+(4), 90(14), 85+(12), 85(14), 80+(5), 80(1), 75+(2).

There's 62 from VGA, as of 4 January 2016.  All "red label" and by the way, I've collected N64 since before that was even a terminology.  Never heard that phrase until 2019, it was always called "Non-PC" or "1st print" in collecting groups.

Your pumping Wata pops and using Wata terminology so that tells me all I need to know.  There's countless raws out there too, hence why my number was in the several hundreds confirmed, and easily so.

You have zero evidence to back up your 500 numbers. Sit down.

• Wow! 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

69 copies that are not differentiated by players choice or red label does not make me factualy incorrect. Assuming that there are 500 sealed red label copies out there with every bit of evidence pointing to that not being the case is factually incorrect.

Are you somehow under the impression that Player's choice copies of Mario 64 are MORE common than regular ones?

You are entirely deluded pal...

2 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

You have zero evidence to back up your 500 numbers. Sit down.

Respectfully, I would trust Jone’s numbers over yours. 

As a cart only peasant collector, I have seen Jone in the scene collecting sealed, esp. N64 for over 10 years (me personally). 

Why should anyone believe you over him? Who are you again?

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OptOut said:

If you do a quick search on Google for money laundering through art, you'll see countless examples of how it works. I'm not saying this happened here necessarily, but it's certainly possible.

IIRC, that tends to involve sales done through "free ports" and other low-tax / low-regulation / "enhanced privacy" jurisdictions. Not sales being done by an auction house in the US.

For e.g. the first result for a Google search says "the art world typically accommodates those that want to anonymously buy high-dollar paintings, and on top of that, the industry allows large cash deals. For those looking to launder money, it’s difficult to conjure up a more attractive set of circumstances than those." Does HA accept anonymous cash purchases of high value items? I don't think so, but IMBW.

5 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Are you somehow under the impression that Player's choice copies of Mario 64 are MORE common than regular ones?

You are entirely deluded pal...

The Player's choice versions are more common than the red label prints. I'm not deluded. It's just the truth.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Respectfully, I would trust Jone’s numbers over yours. 

As a cart only peasant collector, I have seen Jone in the scene collecting sealed, esp. N64 for over 10 years (me personally). 

Why should anyone believe you over him? Who are you again?

That's your prerogative. I understand your relationship with Jone might go way back. Trusting those unverifiable numbers based on that relationship is your Player's Choice.

• Eyeroll 1

@Gulag Joe we have the VGA numbers above. A little bird just landed on my shoulder and told me that it thinks WATA has graded at least 60 sealed copies, almost certainly over 120, more non-PC than PC. So just existing graded copies from two graders, with one grader's numbers five years out of date, are in the hundreds. There are certainly more raw copies out there; some are already surfacing on social media since the story came out.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, AdamW said:

IIRC, that tends to involve sales done through "free ports" and other low-tax / low-regulation / "enhanced privacy" jurisdictions. Not sales being done by an auction house in the US.

For e.g. the first result for a Google search says "the art world typically accommodates those that want to anonymously buy high-dollar paintings, and on top of that, the industry allows large cash deals. For those looking to launder money, it’s difficult to conjure up a more attractive set of circumstances than those." Does HA accept anonymous cash purchases of high value items? I don't think so, but IMBW.

Well as I said, it's a possibility, I didn't say this is exactly what is happening here but it DOES happen.

Of course, it's more likely to be an investment group, either with ties to the WATA/HA viper's nest or simply swooping in from outside.

If you can find out WHO exactly did buy this game, or the Zelda, I would be FASCINATED to hear about it. Although it's obviously just a money thing, whoever did it.

Just now, AdamW said:

@Gulag Joe we have the VGA numbers above. A little bird just landed on my shoulder and told me that it thinks WATA has graded at least 60 sealed copies, almost certainly over 120, more non-PC than PC. So just existing graded copies from two graders, with one grader's numbers five years out of date, are in the hundreds. There are certainly more raw copies out there; some are already surfacing on social media since the story came out.

Be sure to tag me when Indiana Jones, that guy who stole the declaration of independence, and all you guys come back holding a treasure chest full of sealed Mario 64 red labels. I'll be here waiting!

• Confused 2

BTW, on another topic, an interesting note for people who think prints don't matter: HA sold two identically graded copies of Pokemon Blue, one the believed earlier Sandshrew "Red text" print, one the believed later Sandshrew "Blue text" print. "Blue text" got $26400. "Red text" got $96000.

However, Charizard still wins, because a Pokemon Red Sandshrew (there is no text error for Red, so you can't distinguish earlier from later Sandshrew copies for Red) in the same grade got $132000 😛

Edited by AdamW

8 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Be sure to tag me when Indiana Jones, that guy who stole the declaration of independence, and all you guys come back holding a treasure chest full of sealed Mario 64 red labels. I'll be here waiting!

Your blind devotion to your ignorance says A LOT about you dude, and none of it good...

Perhaps you are financially invested in this yourself? You are simping SUPER hard for this market man, and honestly I have no idea what you're getting out of it... Maybe you made a few risky decisions yourself here and there?

Good luck to you... I mean it! Hopefully you get out when the getting is good, because WOOF you know... 1.5 million for Mario 64... It's a bad sign!

And you realise I say that as like the BIGGEST N64 fan on this site, right?! I should be jumping for joy, if this was anything other than a MASSIVE pyramid scheme pump and dump! 😅

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

That's your prerogative. I understand your relationship with Jone might go way back. Trusting those unverifiable numbers based on that relationship is your Player's Choice.

Thats a question dodge. Who are you again? I would love to see your collection. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Your blind devotion to your ignorance says A LOT about you dude, and none of it good...

Perhaps you are financially invested in this yourself? You are simping SUPER hard for this market man, and honestly I have no idea what you're getting out of it... Maybe you made a few risky decisions yourself here and there?

Good luck to you... I mean it! Hopefully you get out when the getting is good, because WOOF you know... 1.5 million for Mario 64... It's a bad sign!

And you realise I say that as like the BIGGEST N64 fan on this site, right?! I should be jumping for joy, if this was anything other than a MASSIVE pyramid scheme pump and dump! 😅

I already said tag me when you find all these sealed red label Mario 64 games. You can keep shitting on me but I'm just gonna leave it at that. I'll be here waiting.

1 minute ago, Gulag Joe said:

I already said tag me when you find all these sealed red label Mario 64 games. You can keep shitting on me but I'm just gonna leave it at that. I'll be here waiting.

We have provided you with ACTUAL facts! There's CONFIRMED over a hundred graded Mario 64's between VGA and WATA, and there are members here who own sealed copies! There are PLENTY of raw sealed copies all over IG and FB and Reddit, and regular collectors who own it to!

In the face of this you stick to your own blind narrative of how unimaginably, IMPOSSIBLY rare this game MUST be, without providing ANY evidence of your own? How can you possibly stick to that position in the face of the evidence presented?

What is your reasoning? And WHY do you want it to be true so badly?

• Like 3